Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
It's a good plan, but like every other WACA plan it lacks the funding.

$60 million is an awful lot of money for a facility that has virtually no public use.

Yeah, considering the State Government has already built the Perth Arena and redeveloped Perth Oval which between them have just all non-footy and non-cricket uses already covered; especially concerts. I don't think we need another outdoor concert facility of this size.

Also, just about every other time I remember the WACA being used for other purposes, there were always issues with damage to the centre square. If they truly want to be a multi-purpose venue they would have to resort to ......
. drop-in pitches.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
In it's current form the WACA is hardly up to scratch for state level cricket let alone test cricket.

Test players deserve proper facilities, the WACA can't offer that.

Forcing the majority of the crowd to endure the sun with no shade for most of the day in 2019 isn't acceptable either.

If the WACA want to host tests at the WACA Ground, they need to spend this money on it.

I agree but you do know that more people sit in the sun now at Optus than ever at the WACA. Much better facilities I agree though.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
There is more:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricke...tion-vote-to-lobby-for-funding-ng-b881170851z
The WACA has urged members to use their votes to lobby candidates at the upcoming Federal election in a bid to help raise the $75 million needed to redevelop the WACA Ground.

A month after Prime Minister Scott Morrison rejected the WACA’s plea for financial support, chief executive Christina Matthews wrote to members to request them to lobby their local candidates before the May 18 election.

“Politicians and aspiring politicians are never shy about asking you for your vote,” Matthews said.

The Federal Government has committed $4 million to the ground redevelopment, while the WACA hopes to raise $10 million through its fundraising foundation.

The WACA negotiated a State Government funding guarantee when it agreed to move inter-national matches to Optus Stadium in 2016, but later allowed that agreement to lapse.

The Federal Government recently provided $10 million each to West Coast and Fremantle to help them build new training facilities.

Good politics, the dills that (politics) fill that space will do anything with our money to get a vote, & they are well known for going back on what they've said before.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Personally, I think the WAFC should move there permantley (don't have a long-term future) and someone like East Perth could move there to ensure the ground has use 12 months a year.

It will really struggle to find people propping up its latest plans. The State Government won't chip in following the $1.6 billion put into Optus.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Bizarre from WACA to host the test at Optus stadium and a night test too.
Desperate really. Thought was only for games vs India or England. Crowds won’t be huge.

Also trying hard to get government to actually even care about a stadium during a federal election. Rather soccer WA get their state centre. So deserving of one.
Is it any point to have WACA other then for sentimental use?

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Yeah, they have been pushing it hard this week. I heard Ashton Agar on the radio news spruiking the same thing.

But I just can't see it happening. The WACA has missed the boat on stadium/centres of excellence/training venue funding. There is really no toher use for it other than being more or less a grant to the WACA. That $75 million could well be spent elsewhere. At least the new stadium is earning revenue by hosting lots of events, so has some chance of justifying the initial construction cost. For the WACA ground I just don't see what other events it would ever attract that would justify the outlay.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Bizarre from WACA to host the test at Optus stadium and a night test too.
Desperate really. Thought was only for games vs India or England. Crowds won’t be huge.

Also trying hard to get government to actually even care about a stadium during a federal election. Rather soccer WA get their state centre. So deserving of one.
Is it any point to have WACA other then for sentimental use?
Pretty sure someone from the WACA told me the original plan to only move big matches to Optus has been canned, and Optus will now host all mens international games. The WACA Ground just isn't up to standard.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Pretty sure someone from the WACA told me the original plan to only move big matches to Optus has been canned, and Optus will now host all mens international games. The WACA Ground just isn't up to standard.
It’s sad state of affairs to it coming to this level. Right now, it’s probably best that WACA somehow have a excellence/academy at Optus stadium and start afresh. It make sense. WACA just doesn’t serve any purpose now, whatsoever. All test matches will be play at Optus stadium, can’t deny that.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally, I think the WAFC should move there permantley (don't have a long-term future) and someone like East Perth could move there to ensure the ground has use 12 months a year.

It will really struggle to find people propping up its latest plans. The State Government won't chip in following the $1.6 billion put into Optus.

Yes, the WACA wanted no part of the new stadium development and wanted to stay completely independent.
The WACA deserves no help whatsoever but their only chance is to align with the WAFL and enter a MCG type arrangement.
I went to the WAFL GF at the new stadium and that was fantastic setup and I've already arranged a box with a number of people.
Brilliant marketing idea by the WAFL to produce so many bargain packages.
A WAFL GF at the WACA would be a major disappointment now, but other games could be OK with some adjustments.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It’s sad state of affairs to it coming to this level. Right now, it’s probably best that WACA somehow have a excellence/academy at Optus stadium and start afresh. It make sense. WACA just doesn’t serve any purpose now, whatsoever. All test matches will be play at Optus stadium, can’t deny that.

That's not entirely true, clearly the WACA serves a purpose - being the home of WA cricket and the host of sheffield shield and other lower level games. Irrespective of where test matches are played, they still need a ground for those matches.
But importantly, they don't really have any use for spectator facilities for more than about 2000 people anymore.

The WACA has missed the boat by around 30 years - they really needed to take advantage of cricket's popularity in the 90s. it's hard to see where they go from here outside of being an administrative base and performance center.

Though I absolutely think that East Perth should be playing footy there.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
That's not entirely true, clearly the WACA serves a purpose - being the home of WA cricket and the host of sheffield shield and other lower level games. Irrespective of where test matches are played, they still need a ground for those matches.
But importantly, they don't really have any use for spectator facilities for more than about 2000 people anymore.
But as a venue hosting sporting events, its future is dire. Sheffield shield games won’t be seen as priority for government to splash the cash. It’s also tourism wise. Test matches held at Optus stadium will attract significantly more supporters then to WACA. They could use Optus stadium for shield, just like MCG. But that’s not financially viable, you’re right. It’s a catch 22 situation

With the very rare 999 year crown lease, only about 15 in the British Commonwealth, I assume its not going anywhere. The WACA can't sell the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WACA_Ground#Early_history
The Western Australian Cricket Association was officially established on 25 November 1885 under the Presidency of JCH James. In 1893, the WACA ground was officially opened, occupying a site of old swamp land to the east of the city. The association has a 999-year lease over the land (which expires in 2888). The long term of the lease means that, effectively, the association has freehold title (save that it cannot divest itself of any part of the land without the state government's consent).

WACA have to get some Women's footy, women's cricket and community and indigenous programs attached to the redevelopment and that should get $15m from the feds if its in a marginal seat.

The feds handed out $15m to Swans before the federal budget for a joint facility next to the SCG in Moore Park precinct old showgrounds area, but Frydenberg and Sports Minister Bridget McKenzie made an announcement between Easter Monday and ANZAC day. Of course they tie it in with other sports and Gerard Neesham's Clontarf Foundation / Academy and other community organisations to make sure it gets the big funding. The announcement October last year when it was first proposed as a joint facility with state government chipping in $20m, AFL $5m and swans have to find $15m.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/hordern-pavilion-sydney-swans-royal-hall-20181004-p507oz.html

the swans get a 27 year lease
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-05/swans-sign-deal-to-build-new-hq-near-scg

and then the announcements for election time a couple of weeks ago
If you want to know more about the announcement and the politics see
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-04-23/funding-to-make-sydney-swans-womens-team-a-reality

https://thewomensgame.com/news/sydney-swans-to-realise-aflw-dream-524216

NSW Liberals marketing this as home for NSW Women's sport
https://www.liberal.org.au/latest-news/2019/04/23/home-nsw-womens-sport

And several announcements were confirmed in the budget 5 weeks ago that had previously been announced. All $15m commitments to the different clubs. From page 126, Part 2 Expenditure Measures - Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities of Budget Paper No. 2;

https://www.budget.gov.au/2019-20/content/bp2/download/bp2.pdf
1557387705468.png

Spearhead

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Havent the feds recently forked out for upgrades at the following grounds in different states-

QLD- Allan Border Field,
NSW- Blacktown,
VIC- Junction Oval,
SA- Adelaide Oval, Karen Rolton Oval
WA- -----------!

Back