The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't read the report.

You will also note the misleading Guardian article doesn't reflect the report at all

The report also supports my long held position regarding the unreliable nature of renewables is not conducive for industry.

The report debunks the Guardian's BS about transmission of renewable power in the form of electricity. Rather it will be the crystalisation of power through metals.

However it then goes on to say renewables could be used along with batteries to be reliable (technically possible but unfeasible) and thus hydro power will be far more suited. Which again supports my long held position that no country will have a successful low emissions electricity grid or industry without hydro or nuclear.

but with hydro or nuclear, you don't need unreliable renewables as they increase carbon and costs.

If only the Guardian was an honest source of journalism.

The report states it is about green hydrogen, not blue.

and the report goes on to say why it can't happen, especially in the region the Guardian claimed would be most suited

Funnily enough the solar panels on my roof have

1) paid for themselves in less than three years

2) generate more power than we consume by a pretty large factor

3) arent making rich people richer.

my electricity bill sits around the cost of the service fee or a few bucks above it.

Nice try

fail
They had to give you 45c per whatever it is plus heavy subsidies to make it viable. Even after this the panels come from mining, are manufactured in a polluting environment and then when they’re obsolete, very toxic materials to dispose of.

They had to give you 45c per whatever it is plus heavy subsidies to make it viable. Even after this the panels come from mining, are manufactured in a polluting environment and then when they’re obsolete, very toxic materials to dispose of.
Im sorry did you spell 98% recyclable incorrectly

<<<PV Cycle, a European solar panel recycling association, developed a mechanical and thermal treatment process last year that achieves a 96 percent recovery rate for silicon-based photovoltaic panels. The remaining 4 percent is utilized in an energy recovery process, using a waste-to-energy technology. The previous recovery rate for silicon-based panels was around 90 percent, so this new solar panel recycling process is good news for the environment. Non-silicon-based solar panels can have a recovery rate of up to 98 percent.>>>

Hoisin:

and the report goes on to say why it can't happen, especially in the region the Guardian claimed would be most suited

Really? The Guardian mentioned central Queensland and the Hunter having jobs. From the report:

"Table 3.2 on the next page presents an illustrative green steel industry in central Queensland and the Hunter Valley. We have not modelled a scenario that exactly replaces the 23,200 jobs for carbon workers in central Queensland, or the 16,200 in the Hunter. But comparable scale – we have modelled a scenario involving 15,000 jobs in central Queensland and 10,000 in the Hunter – is achievable. These job estimates are conservative, because they ignore construction jobs. Significant numbers of construction jobs would be created to build the required steel plant, the electrolysers, and the renewable generators
to power them. The 25,000 modelled jobs in what are presently carbon-intensive regions do not include renewable ongoing jobs, which are likely to be geographically dispersed and therefore in a range of different locations. We have also excluded the jobs associated with transporting iron ore and steel."

I can't work out whether you hate the Guardian or renewables, or both. Both, I think. Were you touched in an inappropriate way as a child by a Guardian reading solar installer?

Really? The Guardian mentioned central Queensland and the Hunter having jobs. From the report:

"Table 3.2 on the next page presents an illustrative green steel industry in central Queensland and the Hunter Valley. We have not modelled a scenario that exactly replaces the 23,200 jobs for carbon workers in central Queensland, or the 16,200 in the Hunter. But comparable scale – we have modelled a scenario involving 15,000 jobs in central Queensland and 10,000 in the Hunter – is achievable. These job estimates are conservative, because they ignore construction jobs. Significant numbers of construction jobs would be created to build the required steel plant, the electrolysers, and the renewable generators
to power them. The 25,000 modelled jobs in what are presently carbon-intensive regions do not include renewable ongoing jobs, which are likely to be geographically dispersed and therefore in a range of different locations. We have also excluded the jobs associated with transporting iron ore and steel."

I can't work out whether you hate the Guardian or renewables, or both. Both, I think. Were you touched in an inappropriate way as a child by a Guardian reading solar installer?

if you selectively read the article and pick out bits, like the dishonest Guardian, you can come to that understanding. However reading the whole article and not selectively taking bits, to mislead:

1) the iron ore is not there
2) the hydrogen won't travel to the iron ore
3) it is acknowledged hydrogen in Australia needs to be globally competitive. The leader of that will be the Philippines as it occurs naturally there and renews the moment it is harvested. Hmmm I wonder why China is so interested in the Philippines?
4) renewables are less suited to queensland than other parts of Australia and the report already acknowledges renewable energy won't travel in the form of electricity
5) renewables are not cheap thus hydrogen produced from renewables won't be cheap

So this means
1) the people of queensland will have to move, if this strategy is to be pursued as the hydrogen and renewables can't
2) the logical locations are the midwest, the shitty areas of SA and northern WA. Iron exists, renewables are more suited to two of the three locations and hydrogen can be crystalised

Calling out the Guardian for misleading and deceptive conduct is calling the facts not an opinion. Being realistic about renewables and not being wilfully decieved and mislead is an obligation for all (except the gullible or those that engage in misleading and deceptive conduct themselves).

Washington | Macquarie Group's New York-based dealmaking machine has hired Joe Hockey to hunt down US infrastructure opportunities with a heavy focus on technology and renewable energy.

The former federal treasurer has been working for the investment behemoth since early April after leaving the Australian ambassador's official Washington residence White Oaks in late January.

12d972cc5cfb31ef6ff51d31bee877b01c190568

Joe Hockey says he has "never been opposed to sensible renewable energy". Evelyn Hockstein

“Macquarie is a world leader in infrastructure and renewable energy and America is where a hell of a lot of action is going to take place over the next few years," Mr Hockey told The Australian Financial Review.

"It’s the opportunity to be in the engine room of innovation.”

The move is an eye-opener for several reasons. It launches Mr Hockey's shift into the private sector after almost a quarter of a century in public life, establishes him with a strong foothold in America's troubled COVID-19-afflicted economy, and sees him tasked with developing a sector he has famously slammed in the past.

Speaking on Macquarie Radio just days before delivering his first budget as treasurer in early May 2014, he lambasted public subsidies paid to wind farms.
"If I can be a little indulgent please, I drive to Canberra to go to Parliament, I drive myself and I must say I find those wind turbines around Lake George to be utterly offensive ... they're just a blight on the landscape," he said at the time.
Asked about his remarks, Mr Hockey insisted he has never been opposed to sensible renewable energy.
https://www.afr.com/world/north-ame...joe-hockey-as-new-us-frontman-20200514-p54srq

Reserve Bank calling for a post-pandemic push into renewables. Government will try to pretend they never said it, I imagine.
The Guardian drawing a long bow as usual.

They aren't asking for it to be the focus like you are implying.

"Research by the Reserve Bank showing renewable energy investment fell sharply last year is fuelling calls for federal and state governments to back changes to help the industry rebound and drive a post-pandemic recovery."

The Guardian drawing a long bow as usual.

They aren't asking for it to be the focus like you are implying.

"Research by the Reserve Bank showing renewable energy investment fell sharply last year is fuelling calls for federal and state governments to back changes to help the industry rebound and drive a post-pandemic recovery."
The distinction eludes me. Sure sounds like a “focus” to me, not that I used that term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching four corners tonight was interesting.

The greens said the 08 ETS was flimsy, and benefitted coal power too much, but i just find it too much a stretch to think that some action would be better than no action.

Once the ball was rolling, it would've given a better precedent for increasing/ diverging from its foundations.

Despite this, the fact Australia's policy is basically pay someone to plant a tree is a joke.

Watching four corners tonight was interesting.

The greens said the 08 ETS was flimsy, and benefitted coal power too much, but i just find it too much a stretch to think that some action would be better than no action.

Once the ball was rolling, it would've given a better precedent for increasing/ diverging from its foundations.

Despite this, the fact Australia's policy is basically pay someone to plant a tree is a joke.

the framework on something so fundamentally large is important to get right the first time. As property right damage claims have to be settled each and every time.

it is interesting though that we have built so much unreliable power, encouraged by subsidies, that some are not being connected to the grid and or the energy regulator is seeking power to cut systems of the grid.

This suggests to me the "encouragement" for unreliable systems was already too great and thus not needing the carbon tax. rather what we need is technology advancement or the tripling of the electricity grid. The increased grid debate is an interesting one given the copper, CO2 and SF6 required.

Im sorry did you spell 98% recyclable incorrectly

<<<PV Cycle, a European solar panel recycling association, developed a mechanical and thermal treatment process last year that achieves a 96 percent recovery rate for silicon-based photovoltaic panels. The remaining 4 percent is utilized in an energy recovery process, using a waste-to-energy technology. The previous recovery rate for silicon-based panels was around 90 percent, so this new solar panel recycling process is good news for the environment. Non-silicon-based solar panels can have a recovery rate of up to 98 percent.>>>

Hoisin:
all you do is have to look at the materials solar panels and wind turbines are made from, iron ore, coal, nickel, copper, cobolt, to name a few! the refining process of nickel and copper is toxic alone then you thrown in the life span of the panels and turbines of 15 odd years and you have this mega structure that cannot be recycled

all you do is have to look at the materials solar panels and wind turbines are made from, iron ore, coal, nickel, copper, cobolt, to name a few! the refining process of nickel and copper is toxic alone then you thrown in the life span of the panels and turbines of 15 odd years and you have this mega structure that cannot be recycled

About 8,000 of the blades are decommissioned in the U.S. every year. The municipal landfill in Casper, Wyoming, is the repository of at least 870 discarded blades, and one of the few locations in the country that accepts the massive fiberglass objects.​
Once they are in the ground, the blades will remain there essentially forever - they do not degrade or break down over time.​

1590247685322.png

About 8,000 of the blades are decommissioned in the U.S. every year. The municipal landfill in Casper, Wyoming, is the repository of at least 870 discarded blades, and one of the few locations in the country that accepts the massive fiberglass objects.​
Once they are in the ground, the blades will remain there essentially forever - they do not degrade or break down over time.​

View attachment 880207

you just need "waste to energy" power plant to burn these. They are classified as renewable as the waste exist anyway and the waste renews itself.

Angus Taylor is nothing but an out and out vandal.

but this is the issue.........renewables don't work without "big gas"

that's why no jurisdiction on the planet with a renewables strategy has delivered a CO2 per kwh in the 14g-50g range without hydro or nuclear. Perversely, if you have hydro or nuclear, you don't need renewables and even end up with a dirtier outcome by introducing renewables.

The need for gas, coal or oil are the reason why renewables deliver dirty outcomes. That and the need to triple the grid and all that CO2 related to copper and aluminum needs to be added to the dirty renewable outcome.

It is time we start being honest with ourselves and look at the CO2 resume of renewables. Just look at dirty Germany vs clean France, NZ, Sweden and the golden child Ontario.

Safety, cost, CO2, total pollution, disruption to river systems and reliability make the decision making in Australia easy as long as the electorate is educated and honest.

View attachment 880207

Remove this Banner Ad

Back