Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi All, Ironically like "In Fly We Trust" I've been closely following this page for about 3-4 years, but have decided to become a contributor today. With this year about to begin i thought it was the perfect time!

So like most of us, i was basically brainwashed from a young age in becoming a Pies fan. My father dressed me in Collingwood stuff from a young age and took me to a lot of games when i was very young, i intend to use the same brainwashing tactics if i have kids :). Being very young i was mainly a casual supporter, until 2010 when i started watching every game, knowing all the players and being obsessed with player stats, not just for Collingwood byt for other teams as well. It was ironically the best year to start following the Pies and it's safe to say i got spoilt with wins in my first few years of watching, and unlike my Dad i didn't have to go through five heartbreaking Grand Final loses to see the Pies win a flag. I have a lot of respect for Pies fans of the 1960-1980s, I can't imagine going through that much heartbreak...i still can't get over 2018 so i can't imagine what it was to experience all that.

I'm guessing I'm one of the younger people on here, so my first game was against Port Adelaide in round 4 2007. Being very young, i wasn't that interested in watching the game and instead spent most of the time kicking empty plastic beer cans at the back. Another one of my first games i went to was the 2007 prelim loss against Geelong. Thankfully i can't remember much about the game, which saved me from some early life heartbreak (Surely we would've beaten Port the week later).

My favourite Collingwood player as a kid was Marty Clarke, i have no idea why but i just seemed to like the way he played. Obviously i can't go past Sidey & Pendles, seeing them win another flag after 13 years was unbelievable, i dread the day when both of them retire. As you can tell by the username i'm also a big fan of Checkers, it's incredible how well he's been able to control our forward line without very little support.

One of my early favourite Collingwood moments would have to be when Didak kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes against the Eagles in 2010, when i was a kid i was absolutely mind blown that something like that could happen. Obviously the 2010 and 2023 successes are up the top, i'd choose 2023 over 2010 just because of the 13 year wait and the heartbreak of 2018. Talking about 2018, the prelim win final against Richmond was amazing. i remember at the start of the game being scared because of how loud Tiger fans were (I'm not use to us being outnumbered!), but by the end of the game it was by far the loudest i've heard the Collingwood Chant. I think it's fair to say that the last two seaons has delivered some of the most incredible moments, Elliot's goal against Essendon & Carlton, ANZAC Day last year.....basically all of the close wins.

Let's hope for another good season this year!

Hey guys!

Long time lurker first time poster. Figured I would finally make an account and join the fun!

I've been a Pies supporter since the 90s, both parents are diehard Collingwood fans so I was indoctrinated from birth!

The first game I ever attended was in 95 against Geelong (I think we won that day?). Although back then, I was more interested in how big the stadium was than what was happening on the field!

I've experienced all of the highs and lows that our club has gone through. First there were the dark days of the late 90s, languishing down the bottom of the ladder and saying farewell to Victoria Park. Then there were the heart breaking grand final losses of 2002, 2003, 2011 and 2018, all of which I attended.

I've also seen many thrilling wins including Jack Anthony's winning goal in the 2009 Semi and Mason Cox tearing Richmind apart in the 2018 Prelim! And of course best of all, our two most recent premierships in 2010 and 2023 (also attended!). Last year was a dream come true!

Favourite player in the 90s was Paul Williams. I always used to have no. 10 on my jumper as a kid. 2000s is a toss up between Alan Didak and Leon Davis. Favourite player of the 2010s has to be Pendles!

Favourite moment apart from our premierships would have to be the 2002 preliminary final when Rocca kicked that 70m goal! It was the first final I ever attended. I couldn't get over how loud the crowd was, it was deafening!

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Go Pies!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back