Streaming The Witcher

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
This could be really great if they do it right. If the acting, tone, and production values aren't spot on it's going to fall apart very quickly. Casting Geralt will be key.

It's very clever of Netflix to start developing a Game of Thrones surrogate as that series enters its final seasons.

Could break the video game curse since the games themselves are adaptations. I very much envy the person who gets to be in charge of casting every Sorceress for this.

Is this a book adaption or a video game adaption?

books apparently, far more material in the books than the games.

The games follow the first 3 books iirc so it should be similar

Lot of fuss seems to be getting kicked up over the potential casting of Ciri. Casting call is looking for a BAME girl (UK for Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic) so it's not going over that well that Ciri could end up as something other than what she typically would have been described as white.

Yeah, would be extremely pleased if she looked like she did in the game. They shouldn't stray away from that.

Yeah, would be extremely pleased if she looked like she did in the game. They shouldn't stray away from that.

Poland is .3% non european minorities there is a reason everyone in the game is white

To me, getting Cavill is amazing as a sign of intent. It shows that there is money being put into the show.

Doesn't mean it will be good but it's a good sign.

Nah Igni is a good sign. Getting Cavill is at least going to open up the interest from the wider industry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah Igni is a good sign. Getting Cavill is at least going to open up the interest from the wider industry.

You think a TV show being produced by a 'network' known for making recent hits, based on the books that spawned one of the most popular games series of all time wouldn't generate interest without Superman at the helm?

You think a TV show being produced by a 'network' known for making recent hits, based on the books that spawned one of the most popular games series of all time wouldn't generate interest without Superman at the helm?

Not the same level, as much as it comes from novels I think it carries the stigma of a video game property to the wider masses.

That's a pick out of nowhere considering she has a grand total of two credits on IMDb https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9923141/
From a random google looks like she's a theatre actress.
https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/201...ural-theatre-royal-stratford-east-production/
Art Malik and Anya Chalotra are to star in Nadia Fall’s first production as artistic director of Theatre Royal Stratford East, The Village.

Chalotra will play the lead role of Jyoti alongside Malik, as the Inspector, in April De Angelis’ new adaptation of Lope de Vega’s Fuenteovejuna.

Source on casting https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/n...into-the-badlands-freya-allan-is-ciri-a164034:
It's been just over a month since Henry Cavill (Mission: Impossible - Fallout) was announced as the lead of Netflix's upcoming The Witcher series, playing Geralt of Rivia, and now, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exactly who will be joining him.

Newcomers Anya Chalotra (Wanderlust; The ABC Murders) and Freya Allen (The War of the Worlds; Into the Badlands) have been cast in leading roles as Yennefer and Ciri, respectively. For those unfamiliar, Yennefer is a powerful sorceress and the primary love interest of Geralt while Ciri is the princess of Cintra, whose role is central to the series' plot. Both Geralt and Yennefer serve as parental figureheads to the young Ciri.

Joining the trio are Jodhi May (Game of Thrones) as Queen Calanthe; Bjorn Hlynur Haraldsson (Fortitude) as the knight Eist; Adam Levy (Knightfall) as the druid Mousesack; MyAnna Buring (Downton Abbey) as Tissaia, the head of the magical academy at Aretuza; Mimi Ndiweni (The Legend of Tarzan) and Therica Wilson-Read (Suicide Club) as novice sorcerers; and Millie Brady (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword) as the outcast Princess Renfri.

According to showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (Daredevil) nearly fifty people have been cast in the series, so expect more than a few surprises whenever the series begins production in the not-so-distant future.

Pretty hyped. Can't help but feel Cavill is still a little too handsome though, think Geralt should be a bit more rugged like young Charles Bronson or something. Will take a while to get used to the wig and stop seeing it as Superman in a wig.

BUT Cavill did a great job of playing against the Superman type in Man from UNCLE so I'm sure he's going to nail the role.

Also on a sidenote, I see a lot of book elitists looking down on the video game fans. In my opinion the books really weren't anything to write home about as books in and of themselves, and there's absolutely no way this show would exist if it weren't for the games so I don't really get it. Seems like a 'nerd cred' thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back