Analysis Tim Gepp

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
There has been a lot of talk on this board lately about one Mr Tim Gepp and the role he plays at the club. I've also noticed that none of the discussion about him has been overly complimentary.

Seeing this has led me to ask this : Who is Tim Gepp? What is his role within the club and why is he so disliked on here? Furthermore, how is his presence detrimental to the future of our club going forward? What has he actually done wrong, or is it all heresay?

It seems like he is targeted by supporters on here and it would be interesting to know why.

He is opposition analyst isn't he? Part timer.

People needed someone to blame and this time around, it was his turn.

He is opposition analyst isn't he? Part timer.

People needed someone to blame and this time around, it was his turn.
You really are a tool

The chief apologist

You are like the eagles own iraqi information minister

The dockers could be knocking hq down with an avalanche of precision torpedoes and you would be waving your hand saying "i tell you this, there are no purples north of claremont"

Pretty sure he's been around since Malthouse. Spent time on our match committee (may still be on there?). I dont know but it certainly looks like he is Nisbett's inside man on the footy side of things because he hasnt been moved on when nearly everyone else has - just like Nisbett.

Gepp is Nisbett's mole. It is symptomatic of Trev that he has not put the right organisation in place and he is not a leader meaning he has put Gepp and his son inside Football operations to a) keep him informed and b) try to keep Trevor's handle on all matters.

We desperately need a CEO that can lead and inspire. Trev is an great administrator but not a CEO. The Board should of realised this a decade ago and taken action. Problem is we now have another administrator in Vozzo rising up the ranks and Nisbett is repeating the error of the Board.

Guys like Nisbett and Gepp should stick to gaining sponsors, negotiating stadium deals and building premises. They are both doers and not leaders.

You really think that's it?

Ask around about what Judge what he thought. Ask Woosh what he thought

Ask anyone who has ever been opposed to Nisbett on anything football related.
How about you just tell us what they said when you asked them.

Gepp started out playing for Subiaco in the late seventies and was recruited by Richmond for the 1983 season where he played 57 games over 3 years. In 1986 he played 14 games for Footscray under Malthouse before returning to WA to play a couple of seasons for East Fremantle

I vaguely remember him as a half back flank/utility type player who was handy without being all that good. As far as I can tell he never represented WA in SOO. Just a meat and potatoes player who IIRC was a bit of a thug which wasn't unusual in that era

When Malthouse became coach of the Eagles in 1990, Gepp was appointed skills coach and remained at the club on and off (mainly on) until the end of 2008 serving on the match committee including time as chairman of selectors. He was brought back to the club just after Simpson was appointed in 2013 as opposition analyst and is currently on the match committee I believe

Thats what we know for sure.

As always it's hard for anyone outside the club to really know with any certainty what impact people largely behind the scenes like Gepp have. It would be churlish to say he hasn't made a contribution to the club as he was one of the few people at the club for our three premierships and one of the even fewer that's been there for all our GF appearances. He was made a life member in 2007

So why the hate for wont of a better word

He's seen, rightly or wrongly, as a bit of a stooge for Trevor Nisbett. Ken Judge blames Gepp for undermining him whilst coach in 2000/01 and largely blames him for his sacking under the belief that he was put in the coaches box by Nisbett as a "spy".

More significantly in my mind, was his involvement as a carer of sorts for some of our players during the early to mid 2000's including acting as a chaperone during the ill fated Las Vegas trip that saw Chad Fletcher end up in hospital. It doesn't take much imagination to suggest he was complicit in the cover up that ensued. He is inextricably linked to that time and it should be no surprise that he was quietly moved on in the wash up of the investigation into that period

Having had no official connection to the club for five years his reappointment in 2013 appears like a move from the old guard (read Nisbett) to watch over Simpson prompting an on air spray from Judge during the 2014 season telling Simpson to watch his back

In short I, and others, see him as a relic of the past and a reminder of a darker time that the club has worked hard to purge itself of since then. It's hard to see what benefit he'd bring to the modern game but again it's difficult to know what value he does bring so it's all based on supposition or the vibe

An old thread I found whilst searching for information on him

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/tim-gepp-resigns.484579/

And a brief mention in Cousins book relating to Judges sacking

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...=onepage&q=tim gepp west coast eagles&f=false

How about you just tell us what they said when you asked them.

It's not about what they said to me. Judges view is public record. Woosh was involved in having Gepp removed and his close connection to Nisbett saw him the sacrificial lamb for the drug problems and fallout. That really should have fallen on Nisbett. And Gepp came back as soon as possible after Woosh was out the door.

But I'd have thought that anyone who has more than a passing interest in the club knows this stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my personal encounter with Jepp was many years ago when I was waiting at the back of Subi after eagles training. Hoping to get some signatures for a jersey. A pizza delivery bloke roles up and Jepp comes out to collect 5-6 pizzas. Peeps are throwing comments + banter at him as he collects them. Opening one of the boxes and grabbing slice for himself as he walks back in... He says something like "these are for the players" ... scoffing away mouth full. I yell back.. "they'll be none left, givvus a slice"
he replys, shutting the door "piss offf!!"

You can blame the admin as much as you like, our woes are with the playing group. Now with Masten not an "Insta Pick" we are heading in the right direction imo, need to drop LeCras to get him hungry and there needs to be this ethos...."If you Don't Come to Play This Week, You Won't Be There Next Week". Look at how ferocious Barrass was last night ? one bad week is ok so long as attack on the ball is good.

You can blame the admin as much as you like, our woes are with the playing group. Now with Masten not an "Insta Pick" we are heading in the right direction imo, need to drop LeCras to get him hungry and there needs to be this ethos...."If you Don't Come to Play This Week, You Won't Be There Next Week". Look at how ferocious Barrass was last night ? one bad week is ok so long as attack on the ball is good.

I'm struggling to pick up the Tim Gepp connection??

I guess I will have to spell it out for all the moron snowflakes in here...Tim Gepp aint our fcuking problem...its the players get it ?

I guess I will have to spell it out for all the moron snowflakes in here...Tim Gepp aint our fcuking problem...its the players get it ?

Ok, it's the players that are our problem and not Tim Gepp.

Simples

Because our poor performance in the lead up to last night can be as cut and dried as one single issue

Masten was an "Insta Pick" - fair enough as some players, including Masten, weren't being held as accountable as they could be for poor performances.

LeCras needs to be dropped to get him hungry - again, fair enough as there's merit to suggesting he shouldn't be getting carried if he doesn't perform and yes, Barrass did benefit from a stint at East Perth

Seems to me that your issue is with the selection of players.

So let me spell it out for you, the players don't pick themselves but rather they are chosen by a match committee of which Gepp is a member. Now we don't know how much, if any, influence Gepp has within that committee or if he supports or opposes the selection of Masten, Lecras and co but he is at a minimum a part of the group who's decisions you disagree with.

Now on a broader level let's address your view that our woes are with the playing group

Is it every player in the group that are the problem or just some of them. For those that are the problem is it because they're still on the list which is actually a list manager issue, or is it because the should never have been traded in which again is a list manager issue as well as the coaching staff that signed off on the recruitment, or is it because they shouldn't have been drafted which is a recruiting manager issue.

If it's a selection issue then that's on the match committee, if the player isn't developing as well as he should be then that's on the coaches, if the player isn't fit enough or has ongoing injury issues that haven't been addressed then that's on the medicos/strength and conditioning staff.

If it's a game plan issue then that's on the coaches, in particular the senior coach.

If all of the above aren't doing the job properly and we have the wrong people in place in those positions then that's on the board

A football club has many moving parts and needs all of them to be operating at their best for a club to be successful. Rarely, is it just one single area/person that is at fault when things don't go to plan but more a myriad of issues that aren't going right.

Some people believe that Gepp is one of the people that we could do without it and that is what this thread is about. Is he our only problem - no. For all we know he may not even be a problem but some think it's a topic worthy of discussion

But yeah, it's the players and nothing else :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back