Analysis Tim Gepp

Remove this Banner Ad

My bad - was thinking of the President as from my understanding that's how Presidents get elected but are limited to a maximum term (of 3-4 years?). Perhaps it's a shame they don't apply the same maximum term to the CEO, however Nisbett has done a very good job with the Club financially, no matter how much many of us would like to see him move on. Good CEOs are not that easy to find and while Nisbett continues to tick all the boxes as required by the Board, cannot see him going anywhere soon.

Ah, yes I see now. Yes the chairman is appointed from the Board and is limited to 6 years (not sure if that's 2 3-year terms or 3 2-year terms).

They can bring someone in from outside though with a bit of forward planning. I think the current chairman Gibbs was added to the board relatively recently with the aim of grooming him as Cransberg's replacement when his term expired.

Ah, yes I see now. Yes the chairman is appointed from the Board and is limited to 6 years (not sure if that's 2 3-year terms or 3 2-year terms).

They can bring someone in from outside though with a bit of forward planning. I think the current chairman Gibbs was added to the board relatively recently with the aim of grooming him as Cransberg's replacement when his term expired.
As far as I can make out there's no limit on being Chairman other than the constitution stipulating no board member can serve longer than 9 years.

Cransberg joined in 2008 and became chairman in 2011. Gibbs joined in 2011

The clubs website states that Nisbett joined the board in 2003 so I guess he has some sort of exemption to the 9 year rule being CEO and all

Last edited:
As far as I can make out there's no limit on being Chairman other than the constitution stipulating no board member can serve longer than 9 years.

Cransberg joined in 2008 and became chairman in 2011. Gibbs joined in 2011

The clubs website states that Nisbett joined the board in 2003 so I guess he has some sort of exemption to the 9 year rule being CEO and all
CEO isn't part of the board.

Maybe Nizzy should cease being CEO and return to Football Manager. The 90s were our best years where we drafted elite talent and knew when to trade.
We also had Brian Cook who went to Geelong when they were heading into basket case territory and have been one of the most successful clubs in the AFL since

The board backed the wrong horse when it came to deciding who of those two should continue at the club

We also had Brian Cook who went to Geelong when they were heading into basket case territory and have been one of the most successful clubs in the AFL since

The board backed the wrong horse when it came to deciding who of those two should continue at the club
Not sure what the real reason was as to why Cook left, but all I can remember he was with the Eagles one day and gone the next, so it was an abrupt parting of the ways.

Not sure what the real reason was as to why Cook left, but all I can remember he was with the Eagles one day and gone the next, so it was an abrupt parting of the ways.
Found this. Doesn't really explain why he left and it's mainly to do with Geelong but there's a couple of interesting bits

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/c6fb71a9b60162685c7f1928b5701e1e

Cook doubted whether

he wanted to stay involved

in football when he met Costa, because he was disillusioned.

He had been appointed chief executive of the West Coast Eagles two weeks after Mick Malthouse was announced as coach for the 1990 season - the appointments being made by different boards.

After almost a decade in the role, Cook resigned just before he knew he would have been sacked. The divide between him and the Eagles board was becoming greater. The party was over.

In Cook's time in Perth, the Eagles made a profit of more than $26 million, won two premierships and didn't miss the finals.

"It was just an amazing era and I loved it, but the problem of success is that you become intoxicated by it and you start letting things go through that you shouldn't, whether it be board behaviour, management behaviour or player behaviour," Cook said. "Talent, hard work and good revenue led to our (Eagles) success."

Also found this searching for when Cook left - was just before the start of the 1999 season

BRIAN COOK NEW GEELONG CEO
After a highly successful 10 years at the helm of West Coast, BRIAN COOK became the new chief executive of Geelong on February 22. At a simultaneous press conference, Cook announced his resignation in Perth as Geelong president FRANK COSTA confirmed the appointment. Cook is the fifth man in two years to sit in the chair at Kardinia Park.

The 43-year old Cook, who along with Brisbane's ANDREW IRELAND is the longest-serving chief executive in the League — he played at reserves level for Hawthorn before making four senior appearances with Melbourne in 1977.

Then this

WEST COAST CHAIRMAN RESIGNS
”Philosophical differences" between the boards of the West Australian Football Commission (WAFC) and Indian Pacific Limited (IPL) brought the resignation of West Coast chairman MURRAY McHENRY on Friday (5th).

AAP reported: McHenry said he had sacrificed his position to ensure football manager TREVOR NISBETT took up the the job as acting chief executive. This follows the departure of BRIAN COOK from the CEO post to join Geelong.

Nisbett after his caretaker period is over intends to nominate for the fulltime job.

MICHAEL SMITH, the m.d. of a Perth marketing consultancy will replace McHenry as chairman of West Coast.

My vague recollection was of a bit of a power struggle at the time which from the above sounds about right

Found this. Doesn't really explain why he left and it's mainly to do with Geelong but there's a couple of interesting bits

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/c6fb71a9b60162685c7f1928b5701e1e

Also found this searching for when Cook left - was just before the start of the 1999 season

Then this

My vague recollection was of a bit of a power struggle at the time which from the above sounds about right
Yes I thought at the time it had to be something along these lines for he had done a fantastic job whilst at West Coast and can remember I was disappointed to see him leave. He probably got caught up in the Indian Pacific deal which from my understanding almost sent the Club broke at the time.
Who was CEO before Cook was appointed for I think you said Cook was appointed as CEO at the time Malthouse arrived at the Club.

Yes I thought at the time it had to be something along these lines for he had done a fantastic job whilst at West Coast and can remember I was disappointed to see him leave. He probably got caught up in the Indian Pacific deal which from my understanding almost sent the Club broke at the time.
Who was CEO before Cook was appointed for I think you said Cook was appointed as CEO at the time Malthouse arrived at the Club.
http://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/history/honour-roll

A fellow named Bill Kerr who I can't find any info on easily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back