Recommitted Tim Taranto

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you seriously saying Greenwood and Lyons have a similar outside ability as Taranto? I can't take that seriously, sorry. Lyons and Greenwood are exactly what you are trying to say Taranto is, fairly one dimensional inside stoppage players. It screams "I haven't watched much Taranto" to suggest that's all he is
Well I have, vs Taranto (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=25&type=A&pid1=3504&pid2=6333&fid1=S&fid2=S)

Lyons has:
- better disposal efficiency
- fewer clangers
- fewer turnovers
- higher metres gained
- more score involvements
- more goal assists
- more inside 50s

Lyons dominates Taranto inside and out in every category no?

They are stacked in the midfield so could let him go without it impacting them that much - Kelly, Coniglio, Hopper, Green, Ward, Caldwell is going to stay so they will want to get games into him. Plus potentially De Boar if they want to tag someone.

Does taking Taranto out of that mix really hurt their midfield that much when they have so many top line players to still rotate through there?

Plus with the apparent salary cap issues, it would clear some space to use the picks they would get in the trade to bring in someone who would fix one of their weaknesses.

They're potentially losing Cameron and already confirmed to lose Corr and Williams. There is zero chance they trade Taranto without him outright requesting a trade.
Why am I explaining this GWS trade rationale?

Ah ok, so it would appear that this year GWS will be targeted by the combined Vic media. It will be good to have the year off after the Papley/Daniher fiasco last year. Once again they seem to think that any player north of the border is fair game regardless of contract status and/or the complete lack of assets that St Kilda would be willing to trade. Unless they were willing to offer up Rowan Marshall perhaps.

I hope GWS tell the Saints where to shove it.

They're potentially losing Cameron and already confirmed to lose Corr and Williams. There is zero chance they trade Taranto without him outright requesting a trade.
Why am I explaining this GWS trade rationale?
I doubt Cameron leaves. And the other two are impacting their defence, not their sacked midfield. And obviously Taranto would need to request the trade for any of this to happen.

They have plenty of other top line mids who are similar to Taranto. Couldn't they use the picks acquired from trading one of their mids to then replace Williams and Corr?

They are stacked in the midfield so could let him go without it impacting them that much - Kelly, Coniglio, Hopper, Green, Ward, Caldwell is going to stay so they will want to get games into him. Plus potentially De Boar if they want to tag someone.

Does taking Taranto out of that mix really hurt their midfield that much when they have so many top line players to still rotate through there?

Plus with the apparent salary cap issues, it would clear some space to use the picks they would get in the trade to bring in someone who would fix one of their weaknesses.
He's our best midfielder and only two way runner, so yes very much so

I doubt Cameron leaves. And the other two are impacting their defence, not their sacked midfield. And obviously Taranto would need to request the trade for any of this to happen.

They have plenty of other top line mids who are similar to Taranto. Couldn't they use the picks acquired from trading one of their mids to then replace Williams and Corr?

Do they? Then why do you want him? Everything about your posts is based on getting a top tier player for nothing for no reason.

Ah ok, so it would appear that this year GWS will be targeted by the combined Vic media. It will be good to have the year off after the Papley/Daniher fiasco last year. Once again they seem to think that any player north of the border is fair game regardless of contract status and/or the complete lack of assets that St Kilda would be willing to trade. Unless they were willing to offer up Rowan Marshall perhaps.

I hope GWS tell the Saints where to shove it.
Papley requested a trade to Victoria. Sydney were the ones going after the victorian player in Daniher. How is any of this the fault of the Victorian media?

Sydney also dont seem to care about contract status when targeting players.

They have plenty of other top line mids who are similar to Taranto.
That's a crazy over simplification. Taranto is different from our other mids because he can play essentially every role well. Need an outside mid to get the handball from a stoppage winner? TT is there. Need a stoppage winner? TT is there. Need a winger? TT is there. Need some one to fill one of those inbetween roles? TT is there
No one else in our midfield offers the versatility to the quality TT does, biggest issue rn is how he's being utilised and how weak the surrounding midfielders were. Kelly and Hopper being out of form at various points hit Tim's game the most because he was forced to try and pick up their slack which detracts from his own game. Not even 12 months ago he was unanonimously our best player, not so much has changed

Do they? Then why do you want him? Everything about your posts is based on getting a top tier player for nothing for no reason.
Where have I suggested he would go for nothing? St Kilda would need to pay two first round picks to get a player of Taranto's quality.

I am suggesting that GWS are stacked in the midfield but have weaknesses in other areas of the field. If Taranto wanted to leave, they could trade him, use what they get for him to strengthen their areas of weakness and then come out the other side with an overall stronger best 22, even if they midfield is slightly weaker next year while Tom Green and Caldwell still develop.

Where have I suggested he would go for nothing? St Kilda would need to pay two first round picks to get a player of Taranto's quality.

I am suggesting that GWS are stacked in the midfield but have weaknesses in other areas of the field. If Taranto wanted to leave, they could trade him, use what they get for him to strengthen their areas of weakness and then come out the other side with an overall stronger best 22, even if they midfield is slightly weaker next year while Tom Green and Caldwell still develop.

GWS might be stacked in the midfield but they or their midfielders might not want to make a change.

Papley requested a trade to Victoria. Sydney were the ones going after the victorian player in Daniher. How is any of this the fault of the Victorian media?

Sydney also dont seem to care about contract status when targeting players.

Daniher requested a trade to Sydney.
Now you're going to say, well he was spotted speaking to Harley beforehand, which is true, but Papley was spotted touring Carlton's premises before he requested a trade as well, so you can't have it both ways. But the Vic media sure tried. Until Barrett had to write his snivelling retraction piece after the trade period last year.

You also seem to be forgetting that St Kilda targeted Hannebery from us while he was under contract.......

Which brings us to Taranto, as once again, the Vic media is trying to unsettle a contracted player north of the border.

Daniher requested a trade to Sydney.
Now you're going to say, well he was spotted speaking to Harley beforehand, which is true, but Papley was spotted touring Carlton's premises before he requested a trade as well, so you can't have it both ways. But the Vic media sure tried. Until Barrett had to write his snivelling retraction piece after the trade period last year.

You also seem to be forgetting that St Kilda targeted Hannebery from us while he was under contract.......

Which brings us to Taranto, as once again, the Vic media is trying to unsettle a contracted player north of the border.
You mean when St Kilda took a cooked Hannebery's large contract off Sydney's books to allow you to then pursue contracted players such an Daniher?

You mean when St Kilda took a cooked Hannebery's large contract off Sydney's books to allow you to then pursue contracted players such an Daniher?

Was Hannebery contracted? Yes
Were St Kilda speaking to him before he requested a trade? Yes

Just like Taranto
Is Taranto contracted? Yes
Are St Kilda targeting a contracted player before he requests a trade? Yes.

So you were targeting a contracted player of another club. Get down off your high horse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Hannebery contracted? Yes
Were St Kilda speaking to him before he requested a trade? Yes

Just like Taranto
Is Taranto contracted? Yes
Are St Kilda targeting a contracted player before he requests a trade? Yes.

So you were targeting a contracted player of another club. Get down off your high horse.
Every club enquiries about contracted players. And every club entertains those trades when they can see how it benefits them as well - like with the Hannebery trade.

You seem to be the only one angered about this.

The Giants need to stop taking draft picks as compensation for losing stars, they need to look at needs and fill them.. If I am head of list management at GWS the only way Stkilda get Taranto is if they hand over Rowan Marshall and would still need some gravy on top.
Ultimately player for player trades are quite rare, particularly for very good players.

In this case they can do that if they want as he is contracted, but it almost certainly won't happen.

GWS are always going to lose a few but with Williams and Corr going that's two pretty significant releases for them.

You do feel they almost have to do something in the ruckman space though, so that's what may open the door again.

Ultimately player for player trades are quite rare, particularly for very good players.

In this case they can do that if they want as he is contracted, but it almost certainly won't happen.
The only players from St Kilda I'm interested in (doesn't mean much I don't actually have a say) would be Rowan Marshall, Hunter Clark or Nick Coffield, and I really doubt Saints fans would want to see any of them go, maybe Coffield but there'd have to be more coming with him you'd assume than the other two. That doesn't even take into account the difficulty in getting those players to agree to move North

Rate the kid very high GWS wont trade him at any cost, and if they did would cost a packet to get...

GWS are always going to lose a few but with Williams and Corr going that's two pretty significant releases for them.

You do feel they almost have to do something in the ruckman space though, so that's what may open the door again.

Also Cameron will re-sign but on significantly less money than his past contract so this should relieve enough pressure on there cap for them to target players of need, and a ruckmen is certainly that.

Good young player, strong, productive and durable. But while his pace is good, it's definitely not a clear strength or anything. His kicking and decision making have also looked very shaky.

With Jones and Steele the other primary inside mids, wouldn't getting Taranto create another Melbourne situation (Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw)?

#4 in clangers per game and #7 in turnsover per game with the lowest disposal efficiency out of ALL midfielders to play 10+ games in 2019 at 59.59%. Very few players have been more wasteful and counterproductive than Taranto. FYI he has the traditional turnover merchants (Treloar, Adams) beat at handing the ball directly to opposition.
Taranto is a gun

It would be nothing like Melbourne's midfield.

All their mids are the same, that's the issue. Steele is the only A grader we have. He's an inside bull but Jones has the pace to get the footy on the outside as does Taranto.

I think he should just come to us to end the McGrath vs Taranto debate.

Worth two firsts despite his down year. If Merrett really wants to leave us and if Taranto wants to come back to Victoria, then easy done.
GWS have a player that complements their million inside mids and we have Taranto.

We'll chuck in Daniher as well in return for the compensation pick if Cameron wants to leave. That'll be the best return GWS will get from anyone.

But we're s**t so Taranto would never choose us over the others. GWS would also never trade him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back