Mystery Titanic Tourist Submarine Lost * Found as Debris

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing to think they found the sub 'Pisces III' after it went missing in the 70s. It had only 12 mins of oxygen left after going missing for 72 or so hrs. What do people think of underwater technology like this? Has it advanced as quickly as other technology? Underwater recovery missions appear to be onee of the toughest things too achieve regardless of the tech.
There seems to me to be little reward for spending a lot of money on development. To do what? Apart from the Titanic, and maybe gaining some advantage in warfare, plus a small number viewing diving to record depths in the same way as they’d climb Everest, underwater tourism is better in shallow waters where there is more to see. People who choose to take these risks have to do so at their own responsibility.

Titanic director James Cameron took to the airwaves shortly after the Coast Guard announced the news, saying that he was 'struck' by the similarities between the disaster and the sinking of the ocean liner in 1912.

'I am struck by the similarity of the Titanic disaster itself, where the captain was repeatedly warned about the ice ahead of his ship and yet he steamed at full speed into the ice field on a moonless night and many people died as a result,' Cameron told ABC News.

'I've been down there many times … I know the wreck site very well … I understand the engineering problems associated with building this type of vehicle and all the safety protocols,' he added. 'This is a mature art and many people in the community were concerned about the sub.'

'It is absolutely critical for people to really get the take-home message from this,' said the filmmaker.

19-year-old Titan passenger was ‘terrified’ before trip, his aunt says​

In the days before the Titan vessel went into the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, the 19-year-old university student accompanying his father on the expedition expressed hesitation about going, his aunt said Thursday in an interview.

Azmeh Dawood — the older sister of Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood — told NBC News that her nephew, Suleman, informed a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.

But the 19-year-old ended up going aboard OceanGate's 22-foot submersible because the trip fell over Father's Day weekend and he was eager to please his dad, who was passionate about the lore of the Titanic, according to Azmeh.

19-year-old Titan passenger was ‘terrified’ before trip, his aunt says​

In the days before the Titan vessel went into the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, the 19-year-old university student accompanying his father on the expedition expressed hesitation about going, his aunt said Thursday in an interview.

Azmeh Dawood — the older sister of Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood — told NBC News that her nephew, Suleman, informed a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.

But the 19-year-old ended up going aboard OceanGate's 22-foot submersible because the trip fell over Father's Day weekend and he was eager to please his dad, who was passionate about the lore of the Titanic, according to Azmeh.

Poor guy. Sad situation with a tragic end.

Just read that the submersible had detachable lead pipes, sandbags & lastly an inflatable balloon that could return them to the surface. So a bit more redundancy than I first thought. Think they must have died instantly in an implosion which is the much better choice than waiting days and eventually suffocating.

There is no other way to say this other than it was the quickest and painless death one could ever have to go through.

Hopefully they look at bringing in stricter laws to avoid this happening again in the future.

Unfortunately stopping someone from diving in international waters is legally impossible. If someone wants to really do it and people want to pay the money to do it they can't really be stopped.

Seems we have an expert here.

It's very low budget. James Cameron on exploration and researching for the movie Titanic went down in a Russian MIR, they were designed for and operated by the Russian Academy of Science.

I'd think everybody should be able to see the difference between Rush's can and one of these, if these have also had close calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess there will be no way to determine the cause of implosion. My money's either on the bolts that secure the hatch (secured with a hand ratchet!!) or the viewing window (guaranteed to only 1300m depth!!).
Micro-fractures in the carbon-fibre shell?
The engineer that was fired for bringing up safety issues wasn't confident in the surface of the carbon fibre used to construct it, when he inspected the sheets.

Back to the crime sub?

Billionaires suing Billionairres?

Last edited:
Unfortunately stopping someone from diving in international waters is legally impossible. If someone wants to really do it and people want to pay the money to do it they can't really be stopped.

There might be accountability in the con and rules to make around the promotion of of these excursions as being very safe. Regardless of a likely standard waiver the passengers signed prior, it isn't hard to find Stockton Rush and Ocean Gate promoting the safety of the uncertified vessel when there had been many warnings that it wasn't.

Even if the US Navy didn't detect an underwater implosion or explosion around the time the Titan most likely went down, near where it went down, they wouldn't want their enemies to think that they couldn't and didn't detect an implosion or explosion of something like the Titan, for what that might say, or leave the perception about the US and their allies underwater defence, surveillance and detection systems.

There might be accountability in the con and rules to make around the promotion of of these excursions as being very safe. Regardless of a likely standard waiver the passengers signed prior, it isn't hard to find Stockton Rush and Ocean Gate promoting the safety of the uncertified vessel when there had been many warnings that it wasn't.

Yeah they accepted fare paying passengers so a civil suit will probably follow in the US (where the company is registered). This still does not stop the operation of such a submersible in international waters though.

Two types of vehicle on which you can't cut corners with safety: Submarines and anything that can fly.

At least they had instant deaths, better than the slow suffocation of most of the men on the Kursk :(

“Stockton Rush, who founded the company in 2009 and is among those who perished, claimed that he had worked on the design with Boeing, NASA and the University of Washington, but all three have now denied being involved”

Can't believe he actually used carbon fibre building the thing It's a super strong light material but not suited to a submarine environment. Any connection with metallic components (bolts) means sea water acts as an electrolyte with the presence of oxygen inside the sub.

I'm betting there was corrosion around the bolts that hold the hatch shut and there was a failure around the these areas caused by corrosion. Really, the subsmersible should have been subjected to serious x-ray scans and/or inspections of the structure after every dive. I doubt they've been doing anything like that in this case.

This would not have been an issue with titanium and/or other exotic painted metals which are used in other submersibles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back