Analysis Toby McLean's Stratospheric Rise to Awesomeness

Remove this Banner Ad

So presuming your list has a clean bill of health come round 1, has our boy Toby done enough to warrant himself a permanent spot in your centre-square rotation group? Or will his midfield time remain dependent upon the absence of similar players?

Surely his clearance and contested work at the coal face once Jong went down this year showed that he is ready to be unleashed full-time!

Yeah Tobes will be playing on-ball permanently if he carries on his 2017 form (which he will).

Player Comparison;

Player A (Season Average)
25.50 Disposals, 10.63 Cont Poss, 4.25 Clearances, 5.75 Tackles, 7.38 Ground Ball Gets, 2.88 Turnovers

3.25 Inside 50s, 0.88 Marks Inside 50, 1.75 Score Launches, 0.63 Goal Assists, 1 F50 Tackles, 1.88 Shots at Goal, 0.75 Goals

0.63 Spoils, 1.63 One Percenters, 1.38 Rebound D50, 7.50 Defensive Half Pressure Acts

Player B (Career Average)
25.21 Disposals, 14.02 Cont Poss, 5.53 Clearances, 4.05 Tackles, 8.45 Ground Ball Gets, 4.82 Turnovers

3.93 Inside 50s, 0.79 Marks Inside 50, 1.77 Score Launches, 0.55 Goal Assists, 0.55 F50 Tackles, 1.82 Shots at Goal, 0.87 Goals

0.82 Spoils, 1.96 One Percenters, 1.19 Rebound D50, 7.95 Defensive Half Pressure Acts

Player A - Tobias McLean

Player B - Nat Fyfe

Player Comparison;

Player A (Season Average)
25.50 Disposals, 10.63 Cont Poss, 4.25 Clearances, 5.75 Tackles, 7.38 Ground Ball Gets, 2.88 Turnovers

3.25 Inside 50s, 0.88 Marks Inside 50, 1.75 Score Launches, 0.63 Goal Assists, 1 F50 Tackles, 1.88 Shots at Goal, 0.75 Goals

0.63 Spoils, 1.63 One Percenters, 1.38 Rebound D50, 7.50 Defensive Half Pressure Acts

Player B (Career Average)
25.21 Disposals, 14.02 Cont Poss, 5.53 Clearances, 4.05 Tackles, 8.45 Ground Ball Gets, 4.82 Turnovers

3.93 Inside 50s, 0.79 Marks Inside 50, 1.77 Score Launches, 0.55 Goal Assists, 0.55 F50 Tackles, 1.82 Shots at Goal, 0.87 Goals

0.82 Spoils, 1.96 One Percenters, 1.19 Rebound D50, 7.95 Defensive Half Pressure Acts

Player A - Tobias McLean

Player B - Nat Fyfe

Interesting comparison. Mclean is now ahead of Libba on my opinion. I'd have him as our third best mid. Still feel like he can take his game to another level too which is very arousing.

Interesting comparison. Mclean is now ahead of Libba on my opinion. I'd have him as our third best mid. Still feel like he can take his game to another level too which is very arousing.

I looked at other elite mids and Fyfes numbers were the closest. Obviously he is not as strong and powerful as Nat but by god he is brilliant at a lot of kpi's. Arousing is underestimating it!

I have my doubts that he ever becomes as good around the goals as Gray. In 46 games Mclean has never kicked more than 2 goals in a game, Gray had done it 9 times already.

I have my doubts that he ever becomes as good around the goals as Gray. In 46 games Mclean has never kicked more than 2 goals in a game, Gray had done it 9 times already.

Gray started out as a 100% full time small forward. Really relatively speaking in terms of elite midfielders he's quite unusual in that he only moved into the guts quite late (Stevie J and Aker are the only others I can think of in that regard). Right from his debut Toby has never played isolated close to goal (either on a wing or HHF). He has some of the best goal sense (probably up there with Bont and Dickson) at the club, I'd be very surprised if he ended his career with 2 as his pb.

Merrett’s stats are pretty crook cos of the game he got injured and he was crap coming back from concussion. Not saying Toby isn’t better, but probably not the best comparison to make.

Merrett’s stats are pretty crook cos of the game he got injured and he was crap coming back from concussion. Not saying Toby isn’t better, but probably not the best comparison to make.

They’re literally the same size, age and play the same position. Who better to compare him to?

McLean got cleaned up at the first bounce last week, but he stayed on. Bounced back this week like nothing had happened.

Don’t take marks off our boy because he’s resilient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re literally the same size, age and play the same position. Who better to compare him to?

McLean got cleaned up at the first bounce last week, but he stayed on. Bounced back this week like nothing had happened.

Don’t take marks off our boy because he’s resilient.
No he got cleaned up the week before IIRC. Was nqr last week, so that's two weeks where he was down on form.
Has polled every other game in this year's Ching. Super consistent.

Tobias was very impressive in his first game back against Freo in the elimination final. His first quarter contributed greatly to the jump we got on the Dockers. Unfortunately that dropped off as the match went on, much like the rest of the team. However, I’d expect Toby’s endurance to be up to scratch following a full preseason, ready to dominate again in 2023.

I’m interested to hear people’s thoughts on where they think Toby plays in 2023? Does he replace Dunks as a hff/ mid rotation? Is there anywhere else on the ground Bevo can spin the McLean magnet?

Attachments

• F497B291-240A-4E61-A587-7DBE5E86D391.jpeg
    F497B291-240A-4E61-A587-7DBE5E86D391.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 9D9A4B6A-FD86-4F40-B54F-7A2A5FB0DCC3.png
    9D9A4B6A-FD86-4F40-B54F-7A2A5FB0DCC3.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 41
Tobias was very impressive in his first game back against Freo in the elimination final. His first quarter contributed greatly to the jump we got on the Dockers. Unfortunately that dropped off as the match went on, much like the rest of the team. However, I’d expect Toby’s endurance to be up to scratch following a full preseason, ready to dominate again in 2023.

I’m interested to hear people’s thoughts on where they think Toby plays in 2023? Does he replace Dunks as a hff/ mid rotation? Is there anywhere else on the ground Bevo can spin the McLean magnet?
He could play a key part in the side as a defensive mid, who can rest forward. His best is very good. In his limited midfield minutes so far he found the ball ok.

My query is that Bevo had him in and out of the side as a forward pre injury, and didnt give him many great looks as a midfielder. Even late last year, Bevo didnt select him till the final. There is something about the way he plays that Bevo doesnt like, and i can see more of the same discussions next year. why wont he play him? etc. etc. there is a bit of late era D. Cross about him in that he too often goes backwards out of stoppage as his first instinct not forward. maybe thats the Bevo knock on him.

so while i see him playing a role next year, i think it will be more of the same

He’s got a strong defensive game which is something we really lack now with Dunkley gone. Would love to see him in a mid-fwd rotation.

I can't see him making the jump into what is already a midfield that is overstuffed with quality mids who have had a lot of continuity in the role. For mine, he has looked pretty leaden footed since his return from his second reco and although another preseason may help in the regard. I have my doubts. I think he is going to run into the same problem that foreshortened Mitch Wallis' career. He's behind better, established players for full time roles in the mid-field.

As was clear to see with Wallis. I think it's unlikely (but not impossible given we're dealing with Bevo) that he will be shifted into defence or be asked to fill Dunkley's big boots. I suspect that reality for Toby is that he will need to use his obvious footy smarts to carve out a role bringing on poverty row at half forward or in one of the pockets. The problem is that Im not sure he has the pace, mobility or the durability to work in the ultra demanding role of a pressure forward in an area of the ground that already leaks worse than my depends after Ive had them on for a few days. Like Wallis I see Toby running into a Cody Weightman sized problem for the role he is he best suited to given the land of the giants we are likely to see in our forward line next year.

It's a tough gig for somebody who has to my eyes clearly lost a bit of pace and is trying to re-establish his role into a side that has changed a great deal since he was at his best. Pre injury he would've been a sure thing to do this. Now, Im not so sure. I wish him luck.

Cliffs:

See Mitch Wallis

Mobility queries

Undefined role.

Dunno.

Bit of a mystery man, like JJ. Experienced premiership players nowhere near their peak form for various reasons.

If Tobes could get his fitness up, what about a wing for him? the speed he hasnt lost is between the ears.

Bit of a mystery man, like JJ. Experienced premiership players nowhere near their peak form for various reasons.

If Tobes could get his fitness up, what about a wing for him? the speed he hasnt lost is between the ears.

I think with Dunkley and Hunter going there’s a half forward/mid role that’s his for the taking.

If he can keep his fitness up Toby would be ahead of West and García for the new role.

I am a fan of both and see them in the midfield for a long time but last year they didn’t have that kind of disposal profile - both have different strengths.

Toby gets the ball and has was commonly 25+ before he got injured and may have lost some pace but is now a much bigger guy. Something we will miss with Dunkley averaging 25+ and more. That’s a lot of possessions to lose. Ironically as Dunkley got closer to the ball (as he wanted to be) Macrae (a better player got pushed out. Both too similar but Toby is different - he is much quicker in close and I reckon Macrae back to 30+ and Tony 25+ could be a better combination.

Toby Showed this in the Freo Final though working with Dunkley but for so long out of the game to be as impactful in a final - if it were a young kids we would be blown away - he just got his hands on the ball with great disposal and agility.

Before his ACL he was turning into a very good run-with/tagging player, he beat quite a few stars before he got injured.

Takes Dunkley’s role without question, also increasing West’s time in the middle as well when needed. Although west seems small, he is an absolute rabid beast who will fight for the ball and give the opposition something to think about knowing there is an opponent wanting the ball more

Before his ACL he was turning into a very good run-with/tagging player, he beat quite a few stars before he got injured.
He was in great form. I wonder if we’ll see him in that role more often. It’s not like he’s some thug who offers nothing when he gets the ball either. Great option to have if one of your opponents is having too much influence…which we have seen all too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back