Competition Toga Times. Advance Notice about a S. 35 Competition - Word Wrangling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow!

Now there is a shock. I had settled into the Tigerturbulance poddy marking Mobbs 550th game. Lo and behold Mobbs had to correct Turbo on how to pronounce the word “Gerbil”.

I am now introducing the Mumbler award. Turbo is the inaugural winner. Enjoy, big fella.

cmt mumbles GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show
being 245kg of love muscle I have never had need of a Gerbil ;)

but still an award so early in the season is sensational,
thank you Horrie this is going straight to the pool room :hearteyes:

being 245kg of love muscle I have never had need of a Gerbil ;)

but still an award so early in the season is sensational,
thank you Horrie this is going straight to the pool room :hearteyes:
we're gunna need a bigger Pool room to accommodate for S35

Mostly, citizens of the Sweet FA express their thoughts in our peculiar language called English. Unhappily some can only express themselves in shambolic grunts (Pickitt ), images (I believe these are called gifs) or in references to the Simpersons Simpsons .

I was famously a member of Caesar’s international aid project to introduce civilisation across the then known world. This included the Badlands of Isle of Pomgolia (ok numbskulls it is aka now known as England and the occupied territories of Scotland and Wales). We bequeathed those backward folks a number of gifts. These included a more robust DNA, the rudiments of public health - sewage systems, clean water, bathing - public infrastructure like roads, the wheel as well as the basics of now popular games like Qooty, Qoccer, Qicket, Qugger and Qarts.

Importantly, we introduced them to Latin, the beautiful language which is still the foundation of modern Pomgolian English.

Now, I do like words but I am a mere jobber in their use. Luckily in the Sweet FA there is no shortage of brilliant wordsmiths. There are folks who can wrangle words into a great turn of phrase as part of witty banter in their Match Threads. The purpose of this forthcoming competition is to highlight and document excellent use of the language we all use.

The competition is still at a formative stage but is likely to include the following weekly elements:

1. The Weekly “Silver Tongue”. Nominations will be be flagged in this thread by you. I will be the sole arbiter.

2. Mrs Malaprop pays you a visit. It is not hard to write ‘should have’. Yes, it involves two more key strokes than ‘should of’ but it is worth the effort to use the language correctly. Folks who are repeat offenders will be highlighted as will other sometimes funny malaprop. Split infinitives will be excluded, not least because I regularly commit those errors.

You can blame Tigerturbulance for this initiative from the Toga Times. I am an Hon. Associate Professor out at Spotswood. As such, I am obliged to do something and I also have a monstrous bar tab that must be paid.

I must say I dread the day Turbo cops a visit from Mrs Malaprop. I am relying on Mrs Turbo to edit his texts.

I am still working on elements of the competition and would like a team and individual element. More details will be released in the next week or so.
I'm a very lazy typist and commit many grammatical boo.boos, despite knowing better, which is probably worse. I expect at some point to be visited by Mrs Malaprop.

Dammit … no really …. Dammit!

I quite liked the posting from Sun Ra and he was an early fave to take out a Silver Tongue.

Now the absent minded dills at the Burblers have lost yet another poster.

Some argue BAT and Jabbery are evil Hansel and Gretel disposing of human crumbs (eg Ava, tones, sky, santox, justabungler) to feed the Mods.

This has now got beyond a joke. Time for BLUEALLTHRU and Jabba73 to show up, take accountability and ensure no other Bollard poster is lost.

I quite liked the posting from Sun Ra and he was an early fave to take out a Silver Tongue.

Some argue BAT and Jabbery are evil Hansel and Gretel disposing of human crumbs (eg Ava, tones, sky, santox, justabungler) to feed the Mods.

This has now got beyond a joke. Time for BLUEALLTHRU and Jabba73 to show up, take accountability and ensure no other Bollard poster is lost.
bots GIF

are they all perma banned now

Goodbyes are usually sad, why do we call them that then?

Shouldn't we calling them Badbyes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is there no other word for Thesaurus?
Wordbook

Similar words
thesaurus
noun

a book or electronic resource that lists words in groups of synonyms and related concepts.
Similar
wordfinder

wordbook

synonym dictionary/lexicon
synonymy

You're welcome.

Wordbook

Similar words
thesaurus
noun

a book or electronic resource that lists words in groups of synonyms and related concepts.
Similar
wordfinder

wordbook

synonym dictionary/lexicon
synonymy

You're welcome.
All books have words, word book could mean dictionary or any other novel, play, storybook or instruction manual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back