Toga Times - a brief Grand Final Recap

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toga Times extends its best wishes to all Clubs and Players. May all of you have healthy and productive off seasons. Many of our readers will be involved in State of Origin and/or the Diabolical Dark v the Lovely Light Show. Funds raised go to a very good cause.

This was one of the more peculiar Seasons in this correspondents time. It began with the Admin and Committee designing a fixture with more holes than Caesar's colander like body. Tellingly, the Wonders, primarily via ClarkeM , stepped in and helped save the day.

When games commenced it was clear the season would prove a multi layered puzzle. One thing was quickly clear - the junior Foundation Club was going to have a shocker of a Season and so they did. Their Foundation Cup matches with the Wonders are looked forward to by most of the Comp. In most Seasons the result is one win apiece. Unfortunately this was not the case in S.35. This correspondent is confident the Demons will bounce back after the humiliations of this Season.

What also became clear early on was the OOBs had assembled an even stronger posting unit than in their first year. This would hold them in good stead as most Oppo posters enjoyed the diverse voices but unified schtick.

Early in the Season when form lines were as unstable as me on myself pins after too many Gins and Bloody Mary's, the Season had to cope with the Survivor Comp. Despite the best efforts of two rather bitter teams in the Drags and Dees, the tactically dominant Wonders ran away with the Comp in an easy canter.

Despite their initially erratic form early doors, the Wonders and OOBs were standing apart from the rest of the Comp. Their responses to the two byes were also telling. The OOBs seemed to have fun during their byes while the Wonders delighted the Comp with their two Festivals of the Wonders. Again the two teams stood out and it was a surprise to no-one when their form lines turned around. Remarkably the OOBs form improved despite losing Callums_Guns and carrying a smelly dead Albatross in Greenery .

And so to the Finals with both teams sailing through to the grandest of Grand Finals. The PFs were pretty routine with the Wonders having the easier Oppo in the unlucky but eternally damned Bone Orchard aka the Coney Island Warriors.

GF Week was a joy with both mobs in fine posting form. It was great to see so many players from across the Comp participate and enjoy what was a lot of fun.

For the Toga Times, even under its initial title of the Qooty Record (original ed was U2tigers ) we cannot recall a Final where nip and tuck was the order of the day from the first bounce to the Final Siren. It was truly a Qooty Classic and it was terrific to see Mobbs on the winning side.

While this completely impartial correspondent felt the Wonders deserved to win it was not to be.

The Toga Times extends our heartiest congratulations to the OOBs on a well deserved win and of course to Fleabane as deserved winner of the Deestroy. I expect the Premiers and Runners Up will have a long standing rivalry for as long as the Qooty is kicked around.

(Meanwhile could the OOBs please desist from pumping out multiple real estate and Aldi brochures.)

All i got from this was that the Royals were robbed Grand Uncle Horace

It is the very nature of Royals that they built their riches on theft and worse. Inevitably they will fade away over time

Even Chocolate Royals have disappeared from the bickie shelves.

The Royals are as anachronistic as the Bone Orchard at Coney Island, though neither team are as problematic as the Drags.

'brief' 🤣

Congrats on your well deserved beez finish Grand Uncle Horace , I had you in my top 10.

More next season please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back