Summer Tokyo 2021 - General Discussion and Preview Thread (23rd July to 8th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

sh*t knew he was good but not good. I'm pretty sure that is the oldest male track record in the book going back to when Kevin Young won the gold at Barcelona.

Think the hammer throw or discuss WR is the oldest male WR. Think 1985. Women's 800m is oldest WR set in 1983.

Ok found the video of the race.

Phenomenal run. Got goosebumps watching that. Thanks for posting.

Looking up the 400m WR for the Hurdles I found this stuff as part of the meet. There were some big results and an unsuccessful attempt on the pole vault WR at 6.19m

Oz's Stewart McSweyn has been in great form the last 9 months between 1,500m and 5,000m as well as qualifying for the 10,000 but this morning set a new Oz and 2021 WL time for the mile.

Leading middle distance star Stewart McSweyn saluted with another victory in the Svein Arne Hansen Dream Mile at the Oslo Diamond League this morning, breaking Craig Mottram’s Australian record that has stood since 2005.

McSweyn (Nic Bideau) ran a blistering 3:48.37, shaving 0.61 seconds off Mottram’s previous record, to produce the world’s fastest mile since 2014. The result is also the 22nd fastest in history, highlighting the enormity of the feat achieved by the 26-year-old. The King Island product raced in trademark fashion when gluing himself to the back of the pacemakers before launching an assault on the final 600 metres to tear away from the slick field. The run leaves McSweyn full of confidence ahead of Tokyo, where the sky is the limit for the gifted Australian.

“I was really happy with how I executed that race. I felt like I had a bit to give that last lap and I was able to run pretty well, so I’m confident the season going towards Tokyo is going in the right direction,” McSweyn said.

Despite qualifying for the 1500m, 5000m and 10,000m events in Tokyo, McSweyn has recently elected to focus his efforts on the metric mile, with this performance solidifying his decision.

“I think this probably shows I’m in good 1500m shape. There’s going to be a lot of great competitors in the field in Tokyo – we’ve got Jakob Ingenbrigtsen, so it’s a loaded field but I’m confident that I’m in good shape to be competitive.”

While this run will no doubt boost his confidence ahead of his Olympic debut, the victory had a deeper meaning for McSweyn, who dedicated his record to his former mentor and agent, Maurie Plant, who passed away last year.

“This is also a special meet for me. A good friend of ours, this was his meet – Maurie Plant. When I was out there, I had a lot to give not only for myself but for him and his family. The mile was a special race for him, so I was running with him on my mind as well, so that definitely helped.”

Fellow Australian Jye Edwards (Dick Telford) finished in third place, running a blistering 3:49.27 of his own to move to third on the Australian all-time list. Edwards’ performance comes as no surprise after he burst back onto the scene in the 2020/21 Australian domestic season, winning the national title and qualifying for Tokyo in the one hefty blow to clinch his maiden Olympic berth.

Both men have been selected to compete in the men’s 1500m in Tokyo where they will rightfully stand among the world’s best metric milers.

Reigning world champion Kelsey-Lee Barber (Mike Barber) is flourishing in her first European encounters since arriving overseas, finishing third place of the javelin in Oslo with a throw of 60.86m.

The performance comes after last week’s win in Finland, where Barber once again threw over 60-metres. Barber has established herself as a fierce competitor who is spurred on by the challenge presented by world class competitors, demonstrated by her capacity to muster her best form on big occasions. The series from Barber included three throws over 60-metres.

Breaking the two-minute barrier was once a big deal for Catriona Bisset (Peter Fortune), but that is no longer the case as the Tokyo-bound star punched in her second consecutive time under that mark – running 1:59.30 to finish in fourth place. Bisset showed great confidence when racing aggressively against decorated competitors, relishing the opportunity to test herself against the world’s best after a dominant domestic season in which she was rarely challenged. It’s the first time she has registered back-to-back sub two-minute performances in her career, with the first of those last week’s 1:58.09 in Poland which saw her shatter her own national record.

here is the whole mile race but in Spanish commentary

I'm going to start here.

The swimming and tracks finals are at night?

I have to organise time off at work.
Further to the answer I gave you last Sunday, there are 6-8 athletics events that would normally have been finals in evening, that have been moved to the morning to go with the usual road events, thats been driven by US TV.

They are field events, that occasionally they have morning finals, that the yanks do well in, but also the 4 sprint hurdles events the yanks are good at will be seen in the morning sessions. So 12 finals in the morning and 36 at night.

In Green and VC = Victory ceremony, so looks like a lot of them have been brought forward from the previous night for US TV prime time.

The full schedule is at

Its on the front page at the moment as well as has its own link and under the Timetable heading and there is a box on the left hand side that says Information, and the items in there can be downloaded as pdf's and and Timetable (updated 9 September 2020) is where I got the info below from. Hopefully in the next week or so the Statistics Handbook will appear in that box and you can download that. Its usually an 800 page pdf.

10am Tokyo time is 9pm NYC time and 11am Sydney time. Finals in red.

1625291762620.png

1625291879960.png

1625292308760.png

1625302118432.png

The only morning events in day 9 and 10 are the women's and men's marathons respectively and they start at 7am Tokyo time.

Last edited:
Full Australia Olympic squad released:

AOC still has not updated the year?
I see numerous podium finishes for our athletes. We have always been strong in hockey, sailing, track cycling, rowing, equestrian eventing and of course..swimming.

American sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson has tested positive for cannabis and is unlikely to get the chance to challenge for the Olympic 100 metres title in Tokyo later this month.

According to one source familiar with the matter, the positive test came at the US Olympic trials last month where Richardson established herself as a gold medal contender by winning the 100m in 10.86 seconds.

American's are going off about this on social media, but what choice does the IOC/WADA have?

Of more concern are her current coach (Mitchell) and training partner (Gatlin). These people should have been run out of the sport years ago.

American's are going off about this on social media, but what choice does the IOC/WADA have?

Of more concern are her current coach (Mitchell) and training partner (Gatlin). These people should have been run out of the sport years ago.
They are going off because they dont know the WADA Code rules and trying to turn this into a discromination, female v male and black v white thing.

Phelps was caught with a photo of him using a bong in February 2009 - 6 months after Beijing Olympics and 6 months before the world champs. He wasnt in the middle of any competition.

He didnt piss in a cup but got a 3 month ban more because it looks bad.

You piss in a cup during competition and you test positive you are subject to the WADA Code and your individual sports adoption of that Code rules. Weed might not be performance enhancing during competition for a sprinter but its in the rules because the Code also tries to protect the health of the athlete.

Its called doping for a reason. You have to be a dope to get caught, especially with dope during a competition..

Looking up the 400m WR for the Hurdles I found this stuff as part of the meet. There were some big results and an unsuccessful attempt on the pole vault WR at 6.19m

Oz's Stewart McSweyn has been in great form the last 9 months between 1,500m and 5,000m as well as qualifying for the 10,000 but this morning set a new Oz and 2021 WL time for the mile.

Leading middle distance star Stewart McSweyn saluted with another victory in the Svein Arne Hansen Dream Mile at the Oslo Diamond League this morning, breaking Craig Mottram’s Australian record that has stood since 2005.

McSweyn (Nic Bideau) ran a blistering 3:48.37, shaving 0.61 seconds off Mottram’s previous record, to produce the world’s fastest mile since 2014. The result is also the 22nd fastest in history, highlighting the enormity of the feat achieved by the 26-year-old. The King Island product raced in trademark fashion when gluing himself to the back of the pacemakers before launching an assault on the final 600 metres to tear away from the slick field. The run leaves McSweyn full of confidence ahead of Tokyo, where the sky is the limit for the gifted Australian.

“I was really happy with how I executed that race. I felt like I had a bit to give that last lap and I was able to run pretty well, so I’m confident the season going towards Tokyo is going in the right direction,” McSweyn said.

Despite qualifying for the 1500m, 5000m and 10,000m events in Tokyo, McSweyn has recently elected to focus his efforts on the metric mile, with this performance solidifying his decision.

“I think this probably shows I’m in good 1500m shape. There’s going to be a lot of great competitors in the field in Tokyo – we’ve got Jakob Ingenbrigtsen, so it’s a loaded field but I’m confident that I’m in good shape to be competitive.”

While this run will no doubt boost his confidence ahead of his Olympic debut, the victory had a deeper meaning for McSweyn, who dedicated his record to his former mentor and agent, Maurie Plant, who passed away last year.

“This is also a special meet for me. A good friend of ours, this was his meet – Maurie Plant. When I was out there, I had a lot to give not only for myself but for him and his family. The mile was a special race for him, so I was running with him on my mind as well, so that definitely helped.”

Fellow Australian Jye Edwards (Dick Telford) finished in third place, running a blistering 3:49.27 of his own to move to third on the Australian all-time list. Edwards’ performance comes as no surprise after he burst back onto the scene in the 2020/21 Australian domestic season, winning the national title and qualifying for Tokyo in the one hefty blow to clinch his maiden Olympic berth.

Both men have been selected to compete in the men’s 1500m in Tokyo where they will rightfully stand among the world’s best metric milers.

Reigning world champion Kelsey-Lee Barber (Mike Barber) is flourishing in her first European encounters since arriving overseas, finishing third place of the javelin in Oslo with a throw of 60.86m.

The performance comes after last week’s win in Finland, where Barber once again threw over 60-metres. Barber has established herself as a fierce competitor who is spurred on by the challenge presented by world class competitors, demonstrated by her capacity to muster her best form on big occasions. The series from Barber included three throws over 60-metres.

Breaking the two-minute barrier was once a big deal for Catriona Bisset (Peter Fortune), but that is no longer the case as the Tokyo-bound star punched in her second consecutive time under that mark – running 1:59.30 to finish in fourth place. Bisset showed great confidence when racing aggressively against decorated competitors, relishing the opportunity to test herself against the world’s best after a dominant domestic season in which she was rarely challenged. It’s the first time she has registered back-to-back sub two-minute performances in her career, with the first of those last week’s 1:58.09 in Poland which saw her shatter her own national record.

here is the whole mile race but in Spanish commentary

A quality run by the willowy Tasmanian. He looks to be something special given the way be burnt off his contenders with that withering last lap. Edwards just pipped for an Aussie one/two. Australia has not produced all that many world class middle distance runners .. John Landy, Herb Elliot and Ron Clarke come to mind. Will McSweyn join this illustrious trio.

Last edited:
As Australia's 473 athletes attempt to, as always, acquit themselves with distinction, what sports will hold most of your attention in Tokyo. I will be glued to the goggle box for every race by our Dolphins, our track cyclists, our brilliant female surfers, our male and female hockey and sevens rugby teams. I will also be following our dual Decathletes.. Cedric Dubler and Ash Moloney as they guts their way thru nine gruelling sports, plus the talented duo of Kurtis Marschall in the Pole Vault and distance runner Stewart McSweyn as he takes on the strong African nations. Can our world class three-day Equestrian Eventing team again medal and give living legend Andrew Hoy a fitting send off if the 8-time Olympian and '92, 96 and Sydney 2000 gold medalist calls it quits after Tokyo.

Last edited:
I will watch most of the team sports. I wonder if 7 will make one of their channels dedicated for team sports, like they allowed SBS to have in 2008 coverage. Now they have so many channels themselves they should repeat what they did in Beijing. The Rugby 7 girls were good to watch in Rio, hope they can repeat that result.

The athletics is what i'm really interested in, but as swimming, cycling and rowing are on in that first week, Oz do well in those sports and I follow them a bit outside the Games and know whats going on and the main competitors, I will be watching them with keen interest. But as per usual I will keep a keen eye on most of the stuff.

I do want to see Jessica Fox win gold in one of her 2 slalom canoeing events after winning several world titles a shock silver at 18 years of age in London and then by her own admission a disappointing bronze in Rio.

A quality run by the Aussie. The willowy Tasmanian looks to be something special given the way be burnt off his contenders with that withering last lap. Edwards just pipped for an Aussie one/two. Australia has not produced all that many world class middle distance runners .. John Landy, Herb Elliot and Ron Clarke come to mind. Will McSweyn join this illustrious trio.
We have produced a handful of top 10 runners in the 1,500m/3,00m/5,00m events since the mid 70's but the Africans or athletes of African descent eg Mo Farah of GBR, have dominated and our earlier champions didn't have to race against them because they didn't have the funds to compete on the world stage before the mid 1970's.

John Walker of NZ was a great middle distance runner and won gold in the 1,500m in Montreal but the Black African nations boycotted Montreal because NZ played SAF in Rugby and NZ weren't banned from the games.

Since then Africans or athletess of African descent have dominated winning gold or minor medals at most 1,500m+5,00m+10,000m at the Olympics. The 800m less so but since Seoul games they have dominated that event as well.

Africans are born to run. Was reading that many of the best cut their teeth by running kilometres from their small villages to and from the only town school. Had they walked theyd have missed most of the morning lessons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the IOC has asked every country - where possible - to name a female and male flag bearer.

I think Tonga only have 2 men going, oily bare chested Taekwondo competitor Pita Taufatofua and a 100m sprinter who runs it in about 11 seconds but World Athletics and the IOC allow every nation to have 1 competitor if no one from that nation has ran, thrown or jumped a qualifying time.

Cate a good choice but sorry Pat our Olympic patriarch and Equestrian supremo Andrew Hoy sh'd have been handed the honor, even if he has already carried the flag. Reason being, Hoy is embarking on his NINTH Olympics. An Australian record.. I expect maybe even a world record. How is that for dedication, stamina and complete loyalty to his country. I intend doing a piece on this great Australian sportsman on this thread.

Last edited:
Looks like Tokyo will go into a state of emergency again and possible that there will be no spectators for the games.
You can understand it...but, the death rate in Japan has been dropping like a stone, 68% of over 65's have got one dose, 36% have had both and they administered (added) 3.4 million vaccines in the last 2 days. Seems like it is mostly young people getting it there now.

I assume they will use fake crowd noises?

Cricket without crowds was bad but having the Olympics in spacious stadia without a sole will be bizarre. I feel for the athletes.. specially the debutants, having to perform at their best without the aid of accompanying cheering and adulation from family and friends to lift their performance.

As Australia's 473 athletes attempt to, as always, acquit themselves with distinction, what sports will hold most of your attention in Tokyo. I will be glued to the goggle box for every race by our Dolphins, our track cyclists, our brilliant female surfers, our male and female hockey and sevens rugby teams. I will also be following our dual Decathletes.. Cedric Dubler and Ash Moloney as they guts their way thru nine gruelling sports, plus the talented duo of Kurtis Marschall in the Pole Vault and distance runner Stewart McSweyn as he takes on the strong African nations. Can our world class three-day Equestrian Eventing team again medal and give living legend Andrew Hoy a fitting send off if the 8-time Olympian and '92, 96 and Sydney 2000 gold medalist calls it quits after Tokyo.

Definitely looking forward to the rowing.

Men's and Women's Fours are big chances and our Women's Eight has some awesome athletes in it as well and is a sneaky gold chance as well given America isn't as strong as usual.

Track Cycling battle with the Brits should also be as captivating as always.

Definitely looking forward to the rowing.

Men's and Women's Fours are big chances and our Women's Eight has some awesome athletes in it as well and is a sneaky gold chance as well given America isn't as strong as usual.

Track Cycling battle with the Brits should also be as captivating as always.

Crackers Keenan’s boy Simon rowing in Tokyo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back