FTA-TV Tom Harley

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon once you've been out of football for a reasonable amount of time.. say five years, if you weren't a superstar player you'd have to show some talent in your new vocation or surely you just become completely irrelevant. Being a "superstar" will carry you a bit longer but you'd still need to be good at special commenting or whatever they call that job. I just don't think Harley ever has and he's now teetering on that ledge of complete irrelevance.

Having said all that I'm a bit puzzled at how Tony Shaw has made it through this long.

I reckon once you've been out of football for a reasonable amount of time.. say five years, if you weren't a superstar player you'd have to show some talent in your new vocation or surely you just become completely irrelevant. Being a "superstar" will carry you a bit longer but you'd still need to be good at special commenting or whatever they call that job. I just don't think Harley ever has and he's now teetering on that ledge of complete irrelevance.

Having said all that I'm a bit puzzled at how Tony Shaw has made it through this long.
And let's be honest, BT, Richo, and Darcy and Bwuce. They just don't seem to know anything about football. Tactics or anything. King is boring as bats hit but at least he can pick apart game plans.

I have said it before but based on the lack of insight and passion in his commentary, it is difficult to believe that he is a two-time premiership captain.

I have said it before but based on the lack of insight and passion in his commentary, it is difficult to believe that he is a two-time premiership captain.
Voss is a bit the same. The way they address and challenge players mustn't be suitable for a prime time tv.

And let's be honest, BT, Richo, and Darcy and Bwuce. They just don't seem to know anything about football. Tactics or anything. King is boring as bats hit but at least he can pick apart game plans.

In King's defence, he's one of the very very few who tries to analyse tactics. Voss as well. The rest may as well be three drunken male relatives for all the insight they add.

Him being in the coaches box means that he and his bland, uninsightful, cliched nothingness are not in the commentary box. :thumbsu:

Hopefully this happens every week.

How about just a cardboard box?

Harley_Box.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him being in the coaches box means that he and his bland, uninsightful, cliched nothingness are not in the commentary box. :thumbsu:

Hopefully this happens every week.
Agreed. This is a good move by channel 7. I don't care for the concept but it removes boring bland Tom from the broadcast action and with a much stronger replacement to boot.

His anti-geeling-anti-bias sickens me.

Guthrie clearly tripped. Admittedly accidentally by a Melbourne player. Lunging tackle, clipped the foot. Free kick.

Harley claims that there was not a free kick in it.

Are you kidding me?!?!

Any man who wears a pink shirt anywhere (let alone on national TV) is a douchebag.

Harley must be letting his wife dress him (isn't she the editor of some dumb broad's rag).

Grow some balls and some hair you douche

Tom Harley where do I start? The fact he is a two-time premiership captains makes me spit out my Saturday morning breakfast when he is always commentating the early game on Ch 7. The fact that he has the Friday Night game every week, adds further insult to injury.

The above comment about Universally/much loved and respected" is spot on. His go-to call most times. He is such a bland *ing annoying good for nothing piece of verbal trash and it amazes me how Ch7 producrers/exeuctives employ the type of people they do, when are they are so bad.

Just because he was a 2time lucky flag winning captain, doesn't make him a super expert. He was a horrible player who got lucky and his commentary makes Nick Maxwell look like an absolute media star. I would much prefer Maxwell over Harley anyway.

In King's defence, he's one of the very very few who tries to analyse tactics. Voss as well. The rest may as well be three drunken male relatives for all the insight they add.
I don't always agree with him but at least he obviously bothers to put in effort on research of players and team's general tactics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back