Rumour Tom Scully retiring due to personal issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon O’Rourke
Tom Scully
Jon Patton

Has there been another team more royaly reamed by another club than we were by GWS..I thought us with hay and Thompson trades with north or pick 1 trade with dockers would be hard to beat but here we are...

Before our supporters try justifying “but we only traded a fourth rounder for Scully and Patton”... we are also paying them big $$$ to consistently do f*** all!

O’Rourke was also traded for pick 19!!

Scully decision to take the GWS money has been vindicated on so many levels.

Anybody would have taken a 200% bigger offer, plus Melbourne were a basket case and in hindsight he dodged a major bullet missing the Neeld years.

Still a weird career. Went from one cellar dweller to another, ended up being vastly overrated at GWS (IMO) as their 7th or 8th best mid. Then got injured, GWS needed to relieve some cap space and ended up getting a decent contract offer at Hawthorn where he’s been his decline into mediocrity has been pretty resounding.

There’s a whole lot of detail there not previously provided. So he’s considering retiring to move back to Sydney and save his marriage? Seems a sound reason.
Sorry, I shouldn’t have speculated on him moving to Sydney.

What we do know is that he’s struggling personally, and his wife is in Sydney tending to her ill father.

Anybody would have taken a 200% bigger offer, plus Melbourne were a basket case and in hindsight he dodged a major bullet missing the Neeld years.

Still a weird career. Went from one cellar dweller to another, ended up being vastly overrated at GWS (IMO) as their 7th or 8th best mid. Then got injured, GWS needed to relieve some cap space and ended up getting a decent contract offer at Hawthorn where he’s been his decline into mediocrity has been pretty resounding.

Max Gawn spewing on him changed everything

Sorry, I shouldn’t have speculated on him moving to Sydney.

What we do know is that he’s struggling personally, and his wife is in Sydney tending to her ill father.

For someone so driven the realisation his career is ending without reaching any real heights must be pretty grim.

Jon O’Rourke
Tom Scully
Jon Patton

Has there been another team more royaly reamed by another club than we were by GWS..I thought us with hay and Thompson trades with north or pick 1 trade with dockers would be hard to beat but here we are...

Before our supporters try justifying “but we only traded a fourth rounder for Scully and Patton”... we are also paying them big $$$ to consistently do f*** all!

O’Rourke was also traded for pick 19!!

The timing is actually OK for Hawthorn - they'll both sit on the list until their contracts are up and then go quietly into the night. It'd have been far worse if you had of been in a premiership window and those contracts were preventing your bringing in quality free agents. Also dodged a bullet by missing out on Shiel.

JOR was always going to be a tough one to gauge. Was injured basically the entire time at GWS, but was pretty overrated in his draft year and then went way too early on draft night. He was just a classically precocious, cocky junior who's minor points-of-difference (slightly above average kick, descent enough around stoppages, quick) didn't translate at AFL level, and injury curtailed his athletic qualities too.

My old man actually taught (may have been his homeroom teacher?) JOR, and spoke to quite a few recruiters in his draft year and was pretty hesitant to give them good feedback. He was a pretty average student, and had a bit of FIGJAM about him.

Last edited:
Actually this is almost less likely than the drug rumour. We are absolutely smashed in the wing department, especially with Smith and Hendo gone. Day and Impey are no chance on the wing, much needed across half back. Phillips is the only winger we have in the team.

I’m not mourning his departure but hawks will seriously struggle across wing this year.

Moore played very well on the wing last few games. We are not going to have Day Impey Scrimshaw Hardwick Howe CJ amd Greaves all running off the half back.

We obviously need to fill Sicily but I sure hope Day for 1 ends up more than just a half back flanker.

Scully decision to take the GWS money has been vindicated on so many levels.

Absolutely, ordinary player who got paid way above his ability and output, you have the admire the bloke for the way he did it. Also convincing a club to give a family member a $100k a year job too, sure that club had to include it in the salary cap but who gives a s**t if you're making money, that's bordering on legendary status

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, ordinary player who got paid way above his ability and output, you have the admire the bloke for the way he did it. Also convincing a club to give a family member a $100k a year job too, sure that club had to include it in the salary cap but who gives a sh*t if you're making money, that's bordering on legendary status

Yep, didn't look the gift horse in the mouth and rightly so.

The timing has actually be OK for Hawthorn - they'll both sit on the list until their contracts are up and then go quietly into the night. It'd have been far worse if you had of been in a premiership window and those contracts were preventing your bringing in quality free agents. Also dodged a bullet by missing out on Shiel.

JOR was always going to be a tough one to gauge. Was injured basically the entire time at GWS, but was pretty overrated in his draft year and then went way too early on draft night. He was just a classically precocious, cocky junior who's minor points-of-difference (slightly above average kick, descent enough around stoppages, quick) didn't translate at AFL level, and injury curtailed his athletic qualities too.

My old man actually taught (may have been his homeroom teacher?) JOR, and spoke to quite a few recruiters in his draft year and was pretty hesitant to give them good feedback. He was a pretty average student, and had a bit of FIGJAM about him.
Never understood the JOR trade. No elite qualities whatsoever. Looking back, that 2012 draft is pretty terrible.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

There’s a whole lot of detail there not previously provided. So he’s considering retiring to move back to Sydney and save his marriage? Seems a sound reason.
Yeah her dad is Gavin Robertson had some pretty nasty brain Tumor. So she's in NSW to help out since last year. If your Scully where your 30 and its either marriage breakdown or a couple more $$$ you don't need to play football, what do you pick?

Especially with the difficulty if going state to state. If Scully could cross to NSW with ease on off-training days to spend time with his partner he may of able to have done it. Not what the world is right now unfortunately

Family 100%. Sure if your 23 it may be different. But 100% behind scully if he has to walk away

Didn't he cite Melbourne players' drunkenness as one of the reasons for going to GWS?
Yep. As much as people want to knife him for being a mercenary ect. The guy is as professional in terms of training and prep as you want in an AFL footballer. I doubt he would even drink a mid strength beer during the season

Toumpas even worse.
I'm not sure about that having seen a fair bit of Dimi pre- and post-injury. He was a completely different player. He had close to elite foot and hand skills, great evasiveness and a calmness. Whilst not triggering individual 'elite' status for these characteristics pre-injury, the package (bar height) was worth 2012 pick 4 pre-injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back