Rumour Tom Scully retiring due to personal issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully is one year older than Andrew Gaff.

Gaff has averaged 26 touches a game over 215 games, Scully 20 over 187.

Scully has had injuries, but his peak just wasn't high enough. Someone with his skill set should be pushing 25-30 touches a game. If you are just getting 15-20 touches a game, not kicking or creating a lot of goals, not winning clearances and laying tackles... you generally don't stay around long.

Hawthorn would be laughing if they could somehow get rid of Patton and Scully without their full salaries counting against the cap.
Scully and Patton are on part contracts.
Half was/is being paid by GWS. It then became a higher split Hawthorns way.

Secondly, given both were traded for, it'd be outside the cap

A way of saying GWS were desperate to get rid of them and hawks agreed to share the costs. Whatever spin is put on it its a shambles for Hawthorn

A way of saying GWS were desperate to get rid of them and hawks agreed to share the costs. Whatever spin is put on it its a shambles for Hawthorn
I'm sure those two 4th rounders will go on to be a household names for the Giants.

Hawthorn would be laughing if they could somehow get rid of Patton and Scully without their full salaries counting against the cap.

It will be in the cap but the club probably saves $500k or $600k.

We are probably going to have huge cap space next year given we got Phillips with Collingwood paying some of the pay and no other big names with heaps of retirements last year and maybe more this year.

We are 7th oldest this year. Probably 7th youngest next year.

Hey, I get the bit about the 2 clubs splitting salaries, certainly seems to be reasonably common now.

I don't understand the part about because they were traded they're being paid outside the cap now? Are you able to explain how the AFL rules allow contracted players in both Patton and Scully's circumstance to be paid outside of the TTP's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah her dad is Gavin Robertson had some pretty nasty brain Tumor. So she's in NSW to help out since last year. If your Scully where your 30 and its either marriage breakdown or a couple more $$$ you don't need to play football, what do you pick?

Especially with the difficulty if going state to state. If Scully could cross to NSW with ease on off-training days to spend time with his partner he may of able to have done it. Not what the world is right now unfortunately

Family 100%. Sure if your 23 it may be different. But 100% behind scully if he has to walk away
Especially after the year that was 2020 with clubs in hubs away from extended family and in some cases their partners and kids. With covid still playing havoc with interstate borders it would be bloody tough telling your missus you need to go to work but can be back the next day if needed given the possibility of being required to quarantine for 14 days.

So many casuals in here lmao, bloke was ALL Australian caliber before he did his ankle injury. He was getting 25 touches a game and kicking 15 goals every season for the last 3-4 years before the career ending injury. He was just starting to enter his prime before the injury.

Scully is one year older than Andrew Gaff.

Gaff has averaged 26 touches a game over 215 games, Scully 20 over 187.

Scully has had injuries, but his peak just wasn't high enough. Someone with his skill set should be pushing 25-30 touches a game. If you are just getting 15-20 touches a game, not kicking or creating a lot of goals, not winning clearances and laying tackles... you generally don't stay around long.
...He plays on the wing. Maybe we should judge him on the lack of hit outs he won as well?

Plus, Wont stay around long? He has played 187 games and destroyed his ankle 3 years ago where its literally cut his ability to play games during the shortened Covid season last year.

I dont know what your on about, Love or hate him, His job was to run hard. His peak was should of been AA but selectors pick midfielders like Kelly on the wings over guys who actually play the position

Oh no, We picked up Patton thinking he was going to lead us to the GF from the CHF position and pinned all our hopes on him.

...He plays on the wing. Maybe we should judge him on the lack of hit outs he won as well?

Plus, Wont stay around long? He has played 187 games and destroyed his ankle 3 years ago where its literally cut his ability to play games during the shortened Covid season last year.

I dont know what your on about, Love or hate him, His job was to run hard. His peak was should of been AA but selectors pick midfielders like Kelly on the wings over guys who actually play the position

Yeah, he plays on the wing because he can run all day. He is, or at least was pre-ankle injury, an elite runner.

I'm not sure what is so out there about my post. For his Melbourne/GWS career he averaged 21 touches a game. Good but not elite. His peak was at GWS in 2016 when he got 25 touches and a goal a game. A player like Scully should be racking up 30 disposal games for fun. His Hawthorn output has been nothing special, hence people are talking about him as though he is no great loss to the team if he does retire.

Yeah, he plays on the wing because he can run all day. He is, or at least was pre-ankle injury, an elite runner.

I'm not sure what is so out there about my post. For his Melbourne/GWS career he averaged 21 touches a game. Good but not elite. His peak was at GWS in 2016 when he got 25 touches and a goal a game. A player like Scully should be racking up 30 disposal games for fun. His Hawthorn output has been nothing special, hence people are talking about him as though he is no great loss to the team if he does retire.

How many disposals should Kelly be getting if Scully should be getting 30?

Hawks paid a future 4th, Eagles paid 2 x 1st.

He averaged 19 touches and kicked 12 goals for us in his first season back from that injury. Not many players would of been able to do that. Shame his ankle has flared up again along with this personal issue

Haha I got forwarded this one, I don’t rate it’s veracity but amusing nonetheless:

“Big news regarding Tom Scully....slept with Jon ‘the general’ Pattons sister and the general went nuts... he found out that night and went round to the sisters place without hers or Scully’s knowledge and beat him to a pulp. Long story short cops and paramedics were called and you guessed it they found Scully in possession with bags, caps, pingers and ket. An amount enough to be considered trafficking. Watch this space”
The hardest part to believe in all that is Jon Patton defending the honour of a woman - even if it is his sister, tell me he'd give a crap about that. Cool story though, would read again, plus sequels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back