Tom Scully's next contract

Remove this Banner Ad

After a good few years playing senior footy, Tom has exposed form. Doesn't break lines - not quick and an average kick with average vision. Can't see any club, including gws, offering serious coin to someone with no penetration in their game.

Yep hopefully he can average 30 touches a game like I mentioned in my post.

Season Highlights
dot.gif

26 disps (13 kicks 13 hballs), 7 marks and 6 tackles in Rd 15 35-pt win over St Kilda at Spotless Stadium (12 Jul 2015)
dot.gif

24 disps (9 kicks 15 hballs), 7 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 11 42-pt loss to Collingwood at the MCG (14 Jun 2015)
dot.gif

26 disps (12 kicks 14 hballs), 6 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 8 24-pt win over Adelaide at Spotless Stadium (23 May 2015)
dot.gif

28 disps (16 kicks 12 hballs), 6 marks and 6 tackles in Rd 4 66-pt win over Gold Coast at StarTrack Oval (25 Apr 2015)
dot.gif

27 disps (16 kicks 11 hballs), 12 marks and a goal in Rd 3 21-pt loss to Sydney at the SCG (18 Apr 2015)

Clearly the guy is Sh It and is scum if he doesn't get 30 touches.

Wowee.

Maybe next year in his 7th season he can average more than his first.

You're easily pleased when it comes to this former number one draft pick.

Makes you wonder whether he could have been a much better playing for a club for less money but a club with an experienced midfield with leaders.

probs not worth 1 Mil per season but the new club had money and you have to pay money to get players to leave their existing clubs. No where in his contract does it say he needs to be the best player in the league.

This honestly sounds like a very apologist argument for his underwhelming time at the Giants. He wasn't just another player to overpay when they got him, he was the big fish the Giants had been pursuing all year, he was the Giant's answer to Gary Ablett Jr.

I agree that his current form is just fine, but let's not pretend he was brought over to the club to be the 5th or 6th best midfielder.

Don't blame him for making the move.

Next contract will be drastically reduced no matter where it is- 500k tops if he has a good season. And I wouldn't begrudge him from moving somewhere else if need be. GWS wanted players who had been in the system a couple year and were willing to heavily overpay- they heavily overpaid Tom Scully and that's why he moved. He didn't/hasn't become the A Grade talent they had hoped for- but he is serviceable at the moment and could still improve. Was a gamble GWS could afford- just hasn't been an overwhelming success- luckily he's still good enough to play a role when fit.

This honestly sounds like a very apologist argument for his underwhelming time at the Giants. He wasn't just another player to overpay when they got him, he was the big fish the Giants had been pursuing all year, he was the Giant's answer to Gary Ablett Jr.

I agree that his current form is just fine, but let's not pretend he was brought over to the club to be the 5th or 6th best midfielder.

You're right. But hey who cares - football is a team game, so if it's Dylan Shiel and Josh Kelly who are going to be the bonafide stars, so be it. Not like Scullys pay affected the team, he got a ****load in the first 2-3 years when all were rookies and they had expanded cap, since then he's been on average pay.

I'd take him over Griffen right now anyway. 400k contract (remember the cap is expanding), VC, 2-3 year contract.

There's going to be losers out of the midfield group of Ward, Griffen, Scully, Shiel, Coniglio, Kelly, Whitfield, Greene, Steele, Hopper, Kennedy...can't have 10 stars in the midfield, you're always going to have a 1st tier, 2nd tier etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly, he was media hype. Not much more. They didn't expect him to be their best player. He was like in Ablett a marketing tool that's it.

Don't blame him for making the move.

Next contract will be drastically reduced no matter where it is- 500k tops if he has a good season. And I wouldn't begrudge him from moving somewhere else if need be. GWS wanted players who had been in the system a couple year and were willing to heavily overpay- they heavily overpaid Tom Scully and that's why he moved. He didn't/hasn't become the A Grade talent they had hoped for- but he is serviceable at the moment and could still improve. Was a gamble GWS could afford- just hasn't been an overwhelming success- luckily he's still good enough to play a role when fit.
Anyone would leave the Dees for the same reason he did.

Hardly, he was media hype. Not much more. They didn't expect him to be their best player. He was like in Ablett a marketing tool that's it.
That's bs. They would have made that play for a proven player if that were the case. You dont make a $6m play for your 5th best mid

Like who? After the GC Ablett issue the year before clubs were signing up their stars left and right.
If we've learned anything over the past few years it's that contracts don't matter.

Honestly it never felt like GWS were ever trying for a proven star, not with any real tenacity. Scully always felt like plan A

Except we had no stars to trade with to trade for a contracted star. Nor were we going to be bent over for our picks.

You weren't even trading. You were just throwing money at players hoping they would accept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back