Tool - FEAR INOCULUM

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'd give this a half mark. Completely dwarfed by their first four albums. You can hear them straining to sound like themselves, but it seldom convinces. Pleasant enough listen I guess, and 7empest bangs.

Last edited:

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So I assume its not in stores today?

The 30th was just an online release date?
It's not in stores because a combination of small pressing, huge pre-orders and Sony ******* over Australia. I don't think we'll see this on the shelves until a "regular" edition is released.

It's not in stores because a combination of small pressing, huge pre-orders and Sony ******* over Australia. I don't think we'll see this on the shelves until a "regular" edition is released.

Who cares anyway,us Aussies will get it.

Listening to Pneuma,Danny Carey using his mandela drum trigger pad at the start.

Not really doing it for me,a bit whiny and angry.

I used to worship Tool,90's when this stuff was fresh.

Sounds like trodding over old ground.

Danny's drumming is lovely though,especially the sound quality,crispy sounds,he is getting a bit more sloppy time wise in his old age but overall great drumming,that is what we listen to Tool for right?!!!

NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
I've been listening to it for a week so I can tell you guys who are unsure that it is a grower. I don't know what people expected from a band like Tool. Musically they are as tight as ever, the album also has a more relaxed vibe to me, Maynard has clearly gone for a more positive approach rather than angry. I rate it ahead of 10,000 days so far, and its close to Aenima/Lateralus.

Last edited:

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I got my deluxe limited edition from JB today. They said I did very well to get one as there were only 10k allocated to Australia. Guy in store reckoned they would only be able to fill about 10% of their pre-orders. I ordered mine from JB online within a few hours of the preorder going live.

So basically don’t expect to see this in stores until they put out a regular edition. You can buy and stream it online quite easily though.

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who cares anyway,us Aussies will get it.
I think the many Aussie Tool fans who've had their pre-orders cancelled or postponed significantly in the last few days care quite a bit. There's no indication yet there will be more copies of the current special edition available.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I think the many Aussie Tool fans who've had their pre-orders cancelled or postponed significantly in the last few days care quite a bit. There's no indication yet there will be more copies of the current special edition available.

Yeah, from what I can tell there are A LOT of very disappointed Aussie Tool fans who missed out. JB were honouring theirs on a first come first serve basis. I preordered from JB online within hours of it going up. The store I went to - they said that they had had to turn away dozens of people on the day, and that they had been able to actually sell a grand total of 2 copies and one of those was my click and collect that I had nominated that store for.

It's very poor and it explains why they felt they were able to set the price so high for Australia (and everywhere else outside the US). Turns out they probably could have charged $250 or more and still sold out the meager allotment. I think it's quite poor how we've been treated. At least the actual music is widely available (not to mention amazing and wonderful).

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Had no idea Adam Jones was an effects designer for some of the biggest films of the 90s, including Jurassic Park. He also was buddies with Tom Morello growing up. Anyway, really digging his guitar and pedal work on this album.

Imagine being that cool.

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have listened to it twice over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Not sure how it compares to the other albums - that will take a few months/years.
I'm just thrilled that they are releasing new material as I seriously doubted they would a few years back.

At any length, my tired old gym playlist is very thankful.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, from what I can tell there are A LOT of very disappointed Aussie Tool fans who missed out. JB were honouring theirs on a first come first serve basis. I preordered from JB online within hours of it going up. The store I went to - they said that they had had to turn away dozens of people on the day, and that they had been able to actually sell a grand total of 2 copies and one of those was my click and collect that I had nominated that store for.

It's very poor and it explains why they felt they were able to set the price so high for Australia (and everywhere else outside the US). Turns out they probably could have charged $250 or more and still sold out the meager allotment. I think it's quite poor how we've been treated. At least the actual music is widely available (not to mention amazing and wonderful).

Essentially nothing available after the first day of release. Very limited stock and I’d say the screen and charging part of the special edition probably wasn’t necessary if it meant they could manufacture more copies.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Tool album that sounds like Tool playing a Tool album. Definitely needs a few more listens but pretty solid overall.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
I'm in the massive fan category.
Really enjoying it. All the actual songs have plenty to like, if anything, I thought Fear Inoculum was the most boring.
7empest is just crazy.
Love Pneuma too.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Question, is it going to be released on normal CD at any stage (I know, old man etc etc, just stream it etc) but the only chance I get to listen to music these days is in the car, and the easiest way is through the CD player. Not that keen on paying a crazy amount for the deluxe thingo. Surely a normal CD release will come soon??

Back