Tool - FEAR INOCULUM

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
After 3 and a bit weeks I feel quite confident to say now that this is top 2 for me. Musically, they all bring their A-games. Structurally, they manage to make some pretty out there song structures feel very comfortable after enough listens. There's going to be a breakdown somewhere and a solo, then the threads are going to come back together for a finish. Invincible mixes it up nicely by having a bass solo and then a synth solo. 7empest is crazy and amazing. Thematically it's sort of like Lateralus, only more outwardly focused. It seems to tell a story as well. In FI the deceiver is chased away and the others embraced as part of the community. Pneuma is a celebration of togetherness and community. Invincible is about old warriors laying their burdens down but also wanting to continue on forever. Descending details the collapse of human civilisation, and Culling Voices seems to be about existing in the new post-civilisation reality. CCT is just chaos, and then the 7empest comes to reign all over. Destroy everything and try to start again.

I especially love the final verse in 7empest with its layered vocals. No one can wield a tempest and you can't atone for actual damage with mere words.

Oct 16, 2007
Balwyn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems to tell a story as well. In FI the deceiver is chased away and the others embraced as part of the community. Pneuma is a celebration of togetherness and community. Invincible is about old warriors laying their burdens down but also wanting to continue on forever. Descending details the collapse of human civilisation, and Culling Voices seems to be about existing in the new post-civilisation reality. CCT is just chaos, and then the 7empest comes to reign all over. Destroy everything and try to start again.

I especially love the final verse in 7empest with its layered vocals. No one can wield a tempest and you can't atone for actual damage with mere words.

I have a slightly different take on what some of the songs are about.

I see Invincible as a song about this album and the band's crippling fear at whether this release would be "worthy".

If Culling Voices isn't about the #metoo movement and the false claims made against Maynard last year I'd be very, very surprised.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Probably spun this about 6 or 7 times now. And dropped into tracks randomly to re-check them out

This is a bloody strong album. It's been a while since a band floored me with an album.
QOTSA with Like Clockwork probably the last one. Or Black Keys with Turn Blue. Whichever was more recent.

Craftwork on it is amazing.
Danny and Adam are on point.

Sonny Bonds

Cancelled
Jul 21, 2019
Lytton
AFL Club
Melbourne
After a couple of listens through I am a super fan of the album as a whole.

Much better than 10,000 days and I reckon it stacks up against their other albums quite well albeit missing the 2 or 3 hit songs drom each

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
How did you feel after the first take Stinger? I thought it sounded a little mashed together.

Iv'e played it once and it didn't really have much effect on me compared to previous albums. I enjoyed Culling Voices. Might have to give it another go.

How did you feel after the first take Stinger? I thought it sounded a little mashed together.

Iv'e played it once and it didn't really have much effect on me compared to previous albums. I enjoyed Culling Voices. Might have to give it another go.
i thought it was lacking a bit tbh

But now I think it is fantastic as a whole album if played through in entirety

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I started out disapointed with this album and the more I listen to it (at least eight times now) the more I think this album is a joke album to highlight how humans are herding idiots and will think something they want to be great is actually great despite it being absolute rubbish. The rumour 6 months ago of this album being a double sided album with the main side yet to be realised must be true.

Maynard completely phoned it in on Fear Innoculum. The lyrics are rubbish and the vocals are muffled and too quiet. They are a band that cares about physical media but sold a limited cd release for over 100 dollars and didnt even include all their songs on it. Really? The songs are fricken boring and simplistic. Only Descending is close to being worthy of a Tool album but even then the vocals are completely muffled. Chocolate chip trip is stupid computer noises with a rather average drum solo. Tempest is ok for 3 minutes but goes no where and the vocals are horrible.

Tool have tricked us all. I wait for the real album.

Danny Carey is out of this world, Chocolate Chip Trip makes me realise we don’t get many drum solos lately, might be because nobody today is on his level.
There is a drummer from Australia that blows him away,Virgil Donati.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Still absorbing this one more than a month on. I find most Tool records are like this, the more you listen the more you kinda pick up and appreciate.

Its no AEnima but hey, what is. Unmistakably Tool, just a bit 'calmer' somehow or dialled down a bit. I guess 13 years will do that lol. Still undecided on my fave track, probably either Pneuma or Invincible at this stage. Fear Innoculum very good also. Strangely enough I'm not getting the love for 7empest, at least not yet, probably my least favourite proper song on the albumn.

One thing I noticed or maybe its just me - do the drums seem louder in the mix for this album compared to others? Seem crisper or more 'there' somehow, dunno, I probably don't have the musical/technical knowledge to describe it properly.

Overall, very worthy inclusion in the discography of probably my favourite band of all time. Will need another few months worth of listening before I venture to rank it alongside their other albums.

Music is very nice but there simply isnt anywhere near enough of Maynard ripping out the awesome vocals and that's what has always elevated tool above the rest.

Just an age thing I reckon, dude is 55 now. Only natural he can't cane his voice like he used to.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't disagree with any of the criticism leveled at the album ITT. That said, I can't stop playing the damn thing. Just played the first 4 (proper) tracks in the shed gym, absolutely worked for me, mitigated my ruin even. Does anyone else never listen to the full album with the segues? I think I have about twice and gone back to the 7 track version. Last thing this album needs is another 15 minutes added onto it.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
They arent the same they used to be. Most of the concerts songs are going to be the last two albums. It wont be the same. Not sure I will even go now.

Dunno, 10,000 Days and new Fear Innoculum stuff not heard live before sounds alright to me!

But yeah for $180 I can definitely understand people opting out if they've already seen them heaps.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Dunno, 10,000 Days and new Fear Innoculum stuff not heard live before sounds alright to me!

But yeah for $180 I can definitely understand people opting out if they've already seen them heaps.
Their last concert here 6 years ago was still pretty awesome although the decline had started. Will have to look into how their recent concerts are going?

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Back