Hird
RHarvey
Black
McLeod
Lloyd
West
Cousins
Akermanis

I'm a bit loathe to include current superstars who have only really done their thing in the past 5 years. To make the very top ten, you'd have to have played great footy for most of the decade.

J.Brown comes close.

Midfielders:

1. Ben Cousins
2. Michael Voss
3. Chris Judd
4. James Hird
5. Simon Black
6. Nathan Buckley
7. Adam Goodes
8. Mark Ricciuto
9. Gary Ablett
10. Scott West

Other:

1. Dean Cox
2. Matthew Lloyd
3. Jonathan Brown
4. Matthew Pavlich
5. Matthew Scarlett
6. Warren Tredrea
7. Barry Hall
8. Fraser Gehrig
9. Darren Glass
10. Nick Riewoldt
11. Dustin Fletcher

Definitely feel I've missed a couple.

But seriously, are people forgetting Cox, or is he just not that good? I would have him as high as 5th on the midfielders list. Let's be honest, while he isn't having that good a year, he will probably be in the top 3, if not 1st, of greatest ruckman football has ever seen at the end of his career.

1. Lance Franklin
2. Daniel Rich
3. Stephen Hill
4. Tony Lockett
5. Cyril Rioli
6. Ken McGregor
7. Jack Watts.
9. Laurence Angwin
10. Richard Tambling

Quite an ecclectic list you got there, Bulldog.

It's a joke most of you don't have R.Harvery in your top 10 or at least unlucky to miss out. One of the best players I've ever seen and just because he didn't have any ultimate team success it shouldn't undermine his achievements.
You go for the Tigers right? Great post, another who fits the criteria is Scott West. How he has barely rated a mention is beyond me!

my list
1.Michael Voss
2.James Hird.
3.Simon Black.
4.Nathan Buckey.
5.Robert Harvey.
6.Scott West.
7.Adam Goodes.
8.Ben Cousins.
9.Mathew Richardson.
10.Mathew Lloyd.

Unlucky. Tredra judd aker crawford

1. Hird
2. Voss
3. Black
4. Cousins
5. Buckley
6. Goodes
7. Judd
8. Harvey
9. Lloyd
10. Ablett

Not a bad list, couple of changes for me:

1. Hird
2. Voss
3. Cousins
4. Goodes
5. Buckley
6. Black
7. Judd
8. Lloyd
9. Richardson
10. J. Brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have made a top 20 in no particular order as they have all been fantastic players for a decade and it is to hard to name just 10.

-Hird (brilliant far player who could play anywhere)

-Voss (tough, fair, excellent leader)

-Richardson (dominated for a number of years in a crap team, even in age has reinvented his game)

-Ricciuto (tough as nails, consistent, great leader, fair, highly skilled who could play FF)

-Robert Harvey (very hard working, reliable, tough, ball magnet)

-Simon Black (superb skills, never had a bad year)

-Andrew McLeod (sensational player who dominated in the late 90's and early 2000's with electric speed and amazing skills)

-Matthew Lloyd (definition of a great FF, strong, good mark, straight kick)

-Nathan Buckley (Annoys me but a fantastic player, hard working, skillful, very strong)

-Ben Cousins (fit, hard runner, excellent skills, lifts a team, great in close)

-Tyson Edwards (never plays a bad game, as good a midfielder as any I have seen over the last decade, very underated)

-Warren Tredrea (great CHF who really dominated at his peak, only let down by his kicking)

-Chris Judd (modern superstar, lights up the park with his pace and ability to win contested possessions)

-Gavin Wanganeen (not much of him, but fast, skillful and very elusive)

-Scott West (tough hard player who dominated the bottom of the packs for a decade)

-Jason Akermanis (like or hate him, he has talent to burn, totally 2 sided player)

-Adam Goodes (rising star who reached his talent, 2 brownlows and is capable of dominating any position on the ground)

-Shane Crawford (deserved a brownlow and a premiership, one club player, worked very hard)

-Matthew Scarlett (the best full back for a number of years, continues to get the job done)

-Brad Johnson (clever midfield, who turned elusive midfielder, excellent longevity)

You may agree or disagree with my list but basically from the late 90's until current they are the players that will remain in my memory as fantastic players. They might not dominate as hard as the current crop of superstars but all still playing are still essential members of their squads, 10 years down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back