Resource Beyond the "66 Game" Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

So is a bottom 4 finish next year acceptable ?

I would like to see 8 to 10 wins

for me it purely depends upon what happens this trade period. If we get names like Kelly Hopper Balic then 8-10 is very achievable. If we only get draft picks then another year at the bottom whilst they get experience is very possible.

Really need to see what happens in October before making a prediction

for me it purely depends upon what happens this trade period. If we get names like Kelly Hopper Balic then 8-10 is very achievable. If we only get draft picks then another year at the bottom whilst they get experience is very possible.

Really need to see what happens in October before making a prediction

Injuries as well, no doubt having Cripps and ed at the moment would've made a hell of a difference still feel that 8 to 10 is achievable

How exciting was Pickett's 3rd quater, kid has that explosive pace and knows how to use it, just need to get his confidence up and get him through a preseason injury free and we will have a seriously exciting player.

Gotta say boeky did some classy things too, he certainly can be damaging, kicked a lovely running goal, he may just get another year if he can finish the year off strongly.

We should not be accepting another bottom 4 finish 2018

Hold Gibbs & get Kelly would be huge !!
Yes, must keep Gibbs and get Kelly, and if possible Hopper.
I think if the blues get Kelly and Hopper, I rekon Gibbs will stay at the Blues.
Next year, the same the blues must draft elite mids, and by 2019 we will have a competitive team.
We will get there, I have faith in Bolton and SOS!

There isn't a player from the last two years drafts that haven't shown very good reasons for being selected.
Each of these 11 players has shown enough of the right stuff already, to suggest there is something to work with.

This has certainly not been the case in previous years, where there's generally been at least one player from a draft that had one questioning what was seen in that player to warrant drafting; Temay, Davies, Rainbow (Left leg aside), Foster, McCartney etc.

Admittedly the 2015 players were largely high draft picks, but last year had us reel in;

Macreadie @ 47........Has vision, skill, evasive traits and will build into a quality KPD
Polson @ 59.............Largely injured this year, but when he was fit, looked terrific around stoppages and outside of them.
Williamson @ 61.......Revelation. How did this happen?
Kerr @ 65................Lacks a little mobility but is a smart & courageous player and could yet become a quality third tall.

Generally speaking, one won't hit the nail on the head more than once at these picks, but I'd say we have 2 already, 3 likely and 4 possibly.

Going to do this again, but will only involve players younger than 21.
I'll rate the players that I feel will make it, based on a percentage.

CCurnow, Marchbank & SPS...........90
Weitering.....................................85
Fisher, Macreadie..........................80
Williamson...................................75
Cuningham. JSilvagni....................70
McKay.........................................65
Pickett.........................................60
Polson.........................................50
LeBois, Kerr.................................35
Glass-McCasker............................20

Would be pretty good should 10 games make at least the 100 game club. Anything more and we're way in front.

Sorry, But you have clearly never seen Paddy Kerr play if you think he is only a 35% chance of making it. seen him play a few times this year. while his aerobic capacity is limited which will grow over time he leads strong, presents well, can kick, good below his knees and field kicking is ok too. reckon he was ahead of McKay before he got injured.

Sorry, But you have clearly never seen Paddy Kerr play if you think he is only a 35% chance of making it. seen him play a few times this year. while his aerobic capacity is limited which will grow over time he leads strong, presents well, can kick, good below his knees and field kicking is ok too. reckon he was ahead of McKay before he got injured.

As a matter of fact I saw him many times this year. What do we talk about now?
That was my ranking and still is. (one in three chance) What do you have him as?

You do have to factor in opportunity, also.
Without Casboult he may get a chance but clearly McKay is preferred for now and the future and then he'll be competing with BSilvagni and possibly another ready made KPF, we have our eyes on.
It's not easy 'making it' when opportunity may be limited.

42 games into our 66 game rebuild and regardless of where we end up on the ladder this year, I couldn't be more positive about our direction.

More experience into our 2015 draftees:
Weitering 20 games
Silvagni 19
Curnow 19
Cuningham 8
McKay 2

Plenty more games into our 2016 draftees:
Samo 18
Fisher 15
Williamson 13
Macreadie 8
Polson 1

And Marchbank and Pickett 16 & 8 games respectively.

All have showed plenty of talent and in 2 years time when they all have 50-80 games under there belt........anything is possible!

What an amazing 2 years of recruitment!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Game 42 (2017).png
Graph: graphical representation of number of "youth" selected in the best 22 (Series 1) along with that youth's performance, by way of AFL Coaches Association votes (Series 2), average youth AFL Player Rating* (Series 3) and average SEN Inside Football Player Rating Points** (Series 4)
* Avg AFL Player Rating = total player rating / number of players.
** Avg SEN Inside Football Player Rating = total player rating points / number of players.

GAME 42 Rnd 21 - LOSS vs West Coast (83-100)
13 Youth Players
Coaches Votes:
Player Ratings Points (AFL,SEN):

Sam Docherty - 429.5, 6
Lachlan Plowman - 30.8, 5
Jacob Weitering - 292.1, 6
Sam Kerridge -222.5, 6
Charlie Curnow - 216.7, 6
Jack Silvagni - 167.2, 5
Jed Lamb - 130.8, 5
Samo Petrevski-Seton - 158.6, 7
Blaine Boekhurst - 108.9, 6
Zac Fisher - 98.8, 5
Tom Williamson - 62.6, 4
Jarrod Picket - 31.4, 6
Billie Smedts - 31.9, 4

Average: 173.98, 5.48

The Blues came really close to a win against the flat-trackers on their home deck. We kicked one of our higher scores for the year and looked the better side for most of the game. We dropped our output for a couple of periods, namely the 2nd quarter and the last 10 minutes, which allowed them to run away with a win. But what a performance by the kids. They had some of their best games for the year, the lowest SEN Inside Football Ratings of any player was 4 to Smedts and Williamson, across the board we averaged 5.5, which is one of our highest ever, and that was without anyone standing out and pulling in a 9 or above.

On the AFL Rating side of thing we lifted as a group, trending upwards, albeit in incrimental steps. These raintgs systems are so harsh on players who don't play. Cripps has dropped down 4 points since his injury, and they took almost 10 points off of Marchbanks after one game out. Some of our highest ranked players are still in the snap back of a little rubber band moment. A less statistically dominant week from Docherty see's him drop another 6 points down on his rating, and Plowman dropped by 3. Weitering is inching along, gaining 1 point on last week, hopefully he can crack the 300 by the end of the year. Kerridge, Curnow, Silvagni and Petrevski Seton all had really big weeks. There is so much improvement there, and it's only going up.

How big is Charlie Curnow? The man is a fledgling super-star. Having one of his biggest games, the young key forward-cum-utility had 19 disposals at 89.5% disposal efficiency. He has an absolute lazer boot, one of the outstanding moments was a 60m kick across the ground over the back of the contest to a small forwards chest which led directly to a goal for the Blues. He had 10 contested possessions, took 8 marks and one contested mark. He had 2 clearances as well in his time in the middle of the ground, including a centre clearance. He laid 5 tackles, had 3 1%ers and 6 inside 50’s. He topped it all off with a goal. Sam Kerridge had 24 touches, 9 contested possessions and seven marks. He had a strong game, which included 3 clearances, 6 tackles, 2 rebound 50’s and 2 inside 50’s. To top it all off he had 2 goal assists. Kerridge has certainly quieted many doubters in the last few weeks with a series of very good games. Jed Lamb took 6 marks in his 14 disposals, only had 1 clanger, and took 2 marks inside forward 50. He laid 5 tackles, had 2 inside 50’s and kicked 1.2 in a good performance for the journeyman. Samo Petrevski-Seton had a brilliant game. He cuts through traffic like a hot knife through butter and has an extra second of time that Pendlebury would be jealous of. He had 19 disposals, including 12 contested possessions. He had 3 marks, and 6 tackles. Impressively, he had 6 clearances including 2 centre clearances. It is great to see him playing in the guts a little more these days. Sam Docherty had a really quiet game by his lofty standards. With only 23 touches (only!) and 6 marks his output was down on normal. He had 5 rebound 50’s, 2 1%ers and 1 inside 50. Jack Silvagni is so so so impressive. He nailed two absolutely brilliant goals form 50 when the game was on the line, we ultimately lost but SOS did his very best to get us there. He had 13 touches, 3 marks including 2 contested marks. He had 1 each of rebound 50’s and inside 50’s, and laid 2 tackles. Lachie Plowman was elite down back, dealing with Darling with ease and running the defence a bit more with Docherty up the ground. He had 15 touches, 6 marks and 5 1%ers. Blaine Boekhurst kicked a bloody ripper goal, he had 14 touches, 4 marks, 2 tackles and 2 inside 50’s. Jacob Weitering ran about 15km’s showing his elite work rate and played really well down back, he had 16 touches, 7 marks and 4 1%ers. Jarrod Pickett, while finding himself at the bottom of the stat sheet had one of his best games, he broke lines, had 2 bounces, and made things happen with his run. He had 3 inside 50’s, in 10 touches and kicked a goal. Zac Fisher played well in his home state, he had 15 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles and a goal. Billie Smedts had an average game, he had 11 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles and 3 inside 50’s. Tom Williamson brought his left peg back to the AFL, he had 12 touches, 4 marks, 3 rebound 50’s, 3 1%ers and a bounce in a decent return game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

42 games into our 66 game rebuild and regardless of where we end up on the ladder this year, I couldn't be more positive about our direction.

More experience into our 2015 draftees:
Weitering 20 games
Silvagni 19
Curnow 19
Cuningham 8
McKay 2

Plenty more games into our 2016 draftees:
Samo 18
Fisher 15
Williamson 13
Macreadie 8
Polson 1

And Marchbank and Pickett 16 & 8 games respectively.

All have showed plenty of talent and in 2 years time when they all have 50-80 games under there belt........anything is possible!

What an amazing 2 years of recruitment!

I'm super excited to see what happens next year.

Curnow, Weitering, Silvagni, Marchbank, Kerridge all pushing for 50 odd games.

Cripps, Docherty, Plowman (Kelly) in the 50+ bracket

Petrevski-Seton, Fisher, Williamson, Cuningham, McKay, Macreadie, Pickett, Boekhurst all getting more games and more experience, putting in more sustainable performances. I can't wait to see it.

Official AFL Player Ratings

As at the conclusion of R21.

Patrick Cripps - 26 (-2)
Sam Docherty - 72 (-5)
Lachie Plowman - 223 (-3)
Jacob Weitering - 246
Sam Kerridge - 331 (+16)
Charlie Curnow - 341 (+18)
Jack Silvagni - 419 (+9)
Sam Petrevski-Seton - 429 (+10)
Nick Graham - 465
Liam Sumner - 483 (+2)
Caleb Marchbank - 488 (-9)
Blaine Boekhorst - 492 (+8)
Zac Fisher - 507 (+5)
Ciaran Byrne - 514 (+1)
David Cuningham - 543 (+3)
Dylan Buckley - 550 (-14)
Tom Williamson - 560 (+8)
Harrison Macreadie - 595 (-2)
Jarrod Pickett - 607 (+19)
Daniel Gorringe - 614 (-5)
Harry McKay - 656 (-4)
Kristian Jaksch - 680 (-22)
Cameron Polson - 698 (+1)

Another week, another big jump from Charlie - he has now jumped a whopping 199 places YTD.

Significant rises also from Pickett on the back of a career best game, Kerridge who continues to make the most of his opportunities (+80 over the past 5 weeks) and SPS.

At the other end of the spectrum, things are not so rosy for KJ or Buckley, who have dropped 121 an 154 spots respectively.

Just wanted to say that Charlie's production in terms of his player rating scores over the past 8 matches, if extrapolated and consistently maintained for the rest of his career (unlikely given that at 20, he will very likely improve...), places him in the top 20 in the league.

Samo's ratings based on this 6 game stretch once extrapolated place him in the top 50 in the league.

Things are going well, we need more players who project to be elite like these 2.

I'm super excited to see what happens next year.

Curnow, Weitering, Silvagni, Marchbank, Kerridge all pushing for 50 odd games.

Cripps, Docherty, Plowman (Kelly) in the 50+ bracket

Petrevski-Seton, Fisher, Williamson, Cuningham, McKay, Macreadie, Pickett, Boekhurst all getting more games and more experience, putting in more sustainable performances. I can't wait to see it.

Patty Cripps made huge strides in 2015

Sam Docherty took his game to the next level in 2016

Charlie Curnow has announced himself in 2017

Got a feeling there might be another one or two really stepping it up next year after a big preseason.

Patty Cripps made huge strides in 2015

Sam Docherty took his game to the next level in 2016

Charlie Curnow has announced himself in 2017

Got a feeling there might be another one or two really stepping it up next year after a big preseason.

Agree SPS will go next level in 2018

Let's say we finish 18th,

Has 2017 been a success?
Are we still on track?
As it stands, we have won 5 games with 2 left to play, compared to 7 wins last year. With Hawks a bogie team for us and Swans in good form, it's unlikely we will win any more, but it was also unlikely we would beat GWS so it can't be completely ruled out. Even if we don't, 5 wins isn't that far removed from last year's result and most expected a similar result, if not a slight drop. At the moment our percentage is only slightly better, but our average losing margin has dropped from 34.9 points to 29.2 points. We have largely played a younger side than last year and have used 39 players compared to 35 last year. We have also won more quarters this year compared to last, with 8 quarters left to play (29 quarters won in 2016, compared to 32 quarters won so far this year).
There have been 6 games where we were in front in the final term only to go on and lose and 5 games were lost by 3 goals or less.
If we 'win' the spoon, we will be one of the better performed sides to win it in what has been a very close year with only 4 wins separating 5th and 14th (last year there was 4 wins separating 5th and 9th).

As a matter of fact I saw him many times this year. What do we talk about now?
That was my ranking and still is. (one in three chance) What do you have him as?

You do have to factor in opportunity, also.
Without Casboult he may get a chance but clearly McKay is preferred for now and the future and then he'll be competing with BSilvagni and possibly another ready made KPF, we have our eyes on.
It's not easy 'making it' when opportunity may be limited.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion mate. wasn't shooting you down. obviuosly the clubs preference would be lets see how McKay looks and give him an extended run but for a large portion of the year i though Kerr's output in the VFL was better than Harry's. of course we want to see them all make it. BSOS will be a star

everyone is entitled to their own opinion mate. wasn't shooting you down. obviuosly the clubs preference would be lets see how McKay looks and give him an extended run but for a large portion of the year i though Kerr's output in the VFL was better than Harry's. of course we want to see them all make it. BSOS will be a star

Sorry, But you have clearly never seen Paddy Kerr play.
This is what you wrote and I think you were just a little bit wrong. All good. :)

I was very happy with Patrick across several weeks this year. (My comments and observations are noted in the Northern Blues thread)
I saw him to be a smart player and even though he may not be lighting on the lead, he creates enough separation to make his leads work.
Patrick has a good work ethic and along with the rest of the young guys taken in the past 2 years, takes his football seriously and looks as though he really wants to make it work........I know that should be the case for every player, but many get lost along the way.

I'll be thrilled should Patrick make it, but no more or less than any other player on our list. All the best to him.

Going to do this again, but will only involve players younger than 21.
I'll rate the players that I feel will make it, based on a percentage.

CCurnow, Marchbank & SPS...........90
Weitering.....................................85
Fisher, Macreadie..........................80
Williamson...................................75
Cuningham. JSilvagni....................70
McKay.........................................65
Pickett.........................................60
Polson.........................................50
LeBois, Kerr.................................35
Glass-McCasker............................20

Would be pretty good should 10 games make at least the 100 game club. Anything more and we're way in front.

Mckay has played 2 games and already being ranked boy oh boy

Mckay has played 2 games and already being ranked boy oh boy

You have a problem with that?
Wish some people would say something rather than look for something they can knock down.
I have an opinion that's subject to change. What have you got?

You must have a problem with the poll here also? How dare they.... :)

You have a problem with that?
Wish some people would say something rather than look for something they can knock down.
I have an opinion that's subject to change. What have you got?

You must have a problem with the poll here also? How dare they.... :)

Nah all good mate my way of judging players is by watching a body of work they put together in the seniors. I try not to judge blokes after 2 games especially when their first season was ruined by injury.
However if a player is on the list 5 years plus and not getting a regular senior game then its time to move them on. Buckley or Jaksch for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back