Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Wines is gettable we should definitely consider it. He’s capable of being a great mid, has a huge hard body...
We needed a hardened ruckman more than anything else. IF we had taken Mumford instead of GWS, I think that changes that result. Probably gets us 3 more home & away wins for the year but not a premiership, as we have too much youth in the team.
Ideally you have a ruckman 28+ and at an elite level, when your mids are 23+ and close to full potential.

Don’t we have enough slow inside mids? Dunkley, Wallis, Libba, Macrae.

Did you watch the game yesterday? Wallis isn’t quality. Libba may well never return to a high quality level (I don’t rate his year at all).

Macrae isn’t slow. Do you mean burst speed? Doesn’t Wines have that?

So after watching both games today imo we have some fairly obvious changes we can make

Not good enough/retiring or not going to help us move forward

Roberts
Jong
Gardner
Gowers
Webb
Boyd
Picken
Morris
Hayes (yes I know but I see zero)
Cavarra (not even close)
Lynch

If they are contracted then we keep them but these blokes are just dead wood and we must bring in some size to compete

The Gardner choice was laughable. Bloke is not even close to AFL standard and that was clear from his vfl form. Feel like it was a selection grounded in him being someone who wouldn’t play too much and therefore receive additional match payments.

Did the MC see him compete well at training or something?

Did you watch the game yesterday? Wallis isn’t quality. Libba may well never return to a high quality level (I don’t rate his year at all).

Watch closer at how Liber plays and he is more valuable now than ever.

He still is one of our best kicks.

Liber would not have put up with been bullied around like GWS did to us yesterday.

Liber was needed yesterday simply for his hardness and that is difficult to see without looking for it

Watch closer at how Liber plays and he is more valuable now than ever.

Liber would not have put up with been bullied around like GWS did to us yesterday.

Liber was needed yesterday simply for his hardness and that is hard to see.

I agree we needed him there yesterday - but the fact that he wasn’t there highlights an issue with him. He’s also not been fast enough this year and he’s dropped down the pecking order in our midfield.

Wines would slot in nicely, and that’s not writing Libba off. He could return better than ever after a good pre season.

I’d take Wines over Martin.

I honestly can’t see how Martin improves us one bit but hope I’m wrong if he comes in.

So after watching both games today imo we have some fairly obvious changes we can make

Not good enough/retiring or not going to help us move forward

Roberts
Jong
Gardner
Gowers
Webb
Boyd
Picken
Morris
Hayes (yes I know but I see zero)
Cavarra (not even close)
Lynch

If they are contracted then we keep them but these blokes are just dead wood and we must bring in some size to compete

I'd add Khamis to that list as by reports from yesterday's VFL game he was totally lost. Yes he's a rookie player but I'd guess that no other club would be interested in him so drop him off the list and let Footscray pick him up so that he can learn the game and therefore free up a rookie spot that we could use on a player that might have a chance of playing seniors within the next 4-5 years.

I'd add Khamis to that list as by reports from yesterday's VFL game he was totally lost. Yes he's a rookie player but I'd guess that no other club would be interested in him so drop him off the list and let Footscray pick him up so that he can learn the game and therefore free up a rookie spot that we could use on a player that might have a chance of playing seniors within the next 4-5 years.

Khamis gets one more year surely. Having one horrific game shouldn’t be enough to write him off.

Seen Khamis play once so cannot make a call on him either way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with the year done I’m not sure we know any more as to whether Austin is a good recruiter or not.

His first two picks in Smith and West picked themselves.

Vandermeer and Cavarra remain unknowns.

Hayes obviously played plenty of games but has some issues.

Dalrymple’s first draft wasn’t great so there is time for him to grow into it, but I really hope he knows what he’s doing. If he does we should be a good team for a long time.

I honestly can’t see how Martin improves us one bit but hope I’m wrong if he comes in.

I agree, can you leave him to us thanks ;)

Surprised to hear all these reports and rumours that Dogs offer is very good and certainly better than ours. We'd also have plenty of cash given we were throwing well over a million a year at Coniglio...i guess your recruiters just rate him higher than ours?

You guys are really attractive right now as well with a young group and playing finals...wonder why he allegedly 'prefers' Carlton.

I guess you have the space to get all of Keath, Bruce & Martin, but given your list i would have thought the first 2 would be far higher priorities.

I agree, can you leave him to us thanks ;)

Surprised to hear all these reports and rumours that Dogs offer is very good and certainly better than ours. We'd also have plenty of cash given we were throwing well over a million a year at Coniglio...i guess your recruiters just rate him higher than ours?

You guys are really attractive right now as well with a young group and playing finals...wonder why he allegedly 'prefers' Carlton.

I guess you have the space to get all of Keath, Bruce & Martin, but given your list i would have thought the first 2 would be far higher priorities.

We were attractive after the flag also and that didn’t help us.

I’m 50/50 on Martin don’t care either way but I’m against paying well overs for him(or anyone) and I don’t think we need anymore slight midsized footballers

I agree we needed him there yesterday - but the fact that he wasn’t there highlights an issue with him. He’s also not been fast enough this year and he’s dropped down the pecking order in our midfield.

Wines would slot in nicely, and that’s not writing Libba off. He could return better than ever after a good pre season.

I’d take Wines over Martin.

Not sure what you mean by the fact he wasn’t there highlights an issue with him.

I concede he’s not been fast enough but he ain’t slow either as his hands and footy brain more than make up for it that’s where his speed is. His disposal by foot in underrated he weights and positions the ball better than anyone.

I guarantee you GWS would have not got away with the bullying they put out yesterday had he been out there.

Liber type players are built for finals football.

We needed a hardened ruckman more than anything else. IF we had taken Mumford instead of GWS, I think that changes that result. Probably gets us 3 more home & away wins for the year but not a premiership, as we have too much youth in the team.
Ideally you have a ruckman 28+ and at an elite level, when your mids are 23+ and close to full potential.
We needed a mature ruckman for sure but the games and experience we have got into timmy will be worth the short term pain

with the year done I’m not sure we know any more as to whether Austin is a good recruiter or not.

His first two picks in Smith and West picked themselves.

Vandermeer and Cavarra remain unknowns.

Hayes obviously played plenty of games but has some issues.

Dalrymple’s first draft wasn’t great so there is time for him to grow into it, but I really hope he knows what he’s doing. If he does we should be a good team for a long time.
That's fair enough. Lachie Young was a fairly left field selection who shows a lot of promise, but broadly agree with your comments.

Not sure what you mean by the fact he wasn’t there highlights an issue with him.

I concede he’s not been fast enough but he ain’t slow either as his hands and footy brain more than make up for it that’s where his speed is. His disposal by foot in underrated he weights and positions the ball better than anyone.

I guarantee you GWS would have not got away with the bullying they put out yesterday had he been out there.

Liber type players are built for finals football.

I agree with all of that. My point about him not being there is that he is severely injury prone and therefore not reliable now.

That’s a huge problem.

And Mattwa, just because we flog crap like Essendon in the season doesn’t mean that yesterday didn’t highlight a huge issue. We need to build the list for finals footy and a lot of the players we’ve lost had that hard edge about them (clay smith, Matty Boyd) and ones that we’ve gained (Lloyd, Schache) do not. Need a hard bugger like Wines so that when the going gets tough and the opposition negatively prevent us from playing our game we can take back the momentum and counter what they are doing. Libba would have helped. Wines would too.

This isn’t just a midfield thing (although it was yesterday, we got destroyed) it’s an attitudinal issue that needs addressing across the field.

Last edited:
Absolutely not worth it to us. The last thing we need

I agree, to spend 800k on a position we’re top three in the comp in is terrible list management. You don’t panic and bring in someone like Wines just because we got outmuscled in ONE game. We’ve been pretty strong through the midfield all year, we just dropped our bundle yesterday.

I just think our money should be going to outside run and talls. Our midfield is set imo. Wines is on 800k as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back