Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
taking with a grain of salt but a Facebook page reporting we’re into Tom Clurey from Power
Interestring - Leinert has been floated as potential trade bait too. They have a surplus now that Trent McKenzie has some from the clouds to keeps his spot, noting they are also playing Jonas and Aliir.

I know I wasn’t the first to mention this and there is an actual thread devoted to it by another poster but I did feel a sense of satisfaction seeing the coaches actually decide to try this by playing Schache in defence in the seconds and at training and start to change him into a KPD. We have given away far too many of these types when we originally had them in our team. I know the jury is still out on whether it is a good decision long term, but it never hurts to try does it? And if that first game is anything to go by he looked pretty comfortable down back even when exposed as the last line of defence. He contested well in the air and took a number of great intercept marks. He has the size to play on the bigger forwards so I am rapt that it is now a reality. I think it’s his only chance of a future in our team.
Yeah it’s often the making of a languishing key forward.

Obviously one swallow doesn’t make a summer but it was encouraging. Hearing what Bev said, it sounds like they didn’t want to give him an easy out on developing in the role they got him for.

I’ve heard him say several times that Schache’s still developing etc, even physically. It’s a bit bizarre - he’s 24 and has played almost 60 games. Maybe he hasn’t put the work in previously. Anyway, one thing he definitely has over Young and Gardner is clean disposal. Hope he backs it up.

Yeah it’s often the making of a languishing key forward.

Obviously one swallow doesn’t make a summer but it was encouraging. Hearing what Bev said, it sounds like they didn’t want to give him an easy out on developing in the role they got him for.

I’ve heard him say several times that Schache’s still developing etc, even physically. It’s a bit bizarre - he’s 24 and has played almost 60 games. Maybe he hasn’t put the work in previously. Anyway, one thing he definitely has over Young and Gardner is clean disposal. Hope he backs it up.
Schache is elite for endurance, especially for his size. By all accounts presented in incredible shape this pre-season too.
I hope the kid makes it and his game was promising, the jury is still out though. Contracted for next year so a full pre-season as a defender will help him.

Schache is elite for endurance, especially for his size. By all accounts presented in incredible shape this pre-season too.
I hope the kid makes it and his game was promising, the jury is still out though. Contracted for next year so a full pre-season as a defender will help him.
I read the "developing and time in the gym" comments more as the need to have a different physical make-up in order to revive his career (and CHB may require that physical change, in any case it might still apply to being a forward). Essentially more of the same over the last year physically wasn't going to get him back into the team, so something had to change in the gym.

I’ve always liked him. His skills are top notch and he’s smart.

If we can turn him into that missing tall defender then that would be a great result. Probably a good thing he has that extra
year so he isn’t concerned that any stuff up could end his career.

I think Schache sees himself as an endurance forward. I don’t think he will make it in that role, as he isn’t aggressive enough.
Being a defender and not a FB, will mean that he needs to get stronger and be less focused on endurance. IF he can do that, he may then become a great CHB style intercepting defender. His endurance means he could stay on ground for nearly the entire match and he won’t lose that much endurance by strengthening himself up further.

I think Schache sees himself as an endurance forward. I don’t think he will make it in that role, as he isn’t aggressive enough.
Being a defender and not a FB, will mean that he needs to get stronger and be less focused on endurance. IF he can do that, he may then become a great CHB style intercepting defender. His endurance means he could stay on ground for nearly the entire match and he won’t lose that much endurance by strengthening himself up further.

Agree that the relative importance of endurance versus strength changes, however if he's going to be successful there long term I think leveraging his endurance base will be a key piece of the puzzle for two reasons:
  1. Burning his opponent through work-rate will allow him to be an outlet option from defense using his elite kicking skills - doesn't need to be a flanker to run-off his man.
  2. Tiring his opponent in this way will in turn make him less susceptible to being burnt on the short sharp leads (if his opponent is gassed).

I think wing is fine. On the one side we have Hunter as an accumulator/defensive wing and Daniel can also play that role. McNeil gives good coverage.

. I reckon Power will go a different way with a Coleman Jones or Darcy Cameron who have a few years in the system, can play forward and a bit in front of Sweet. Or go left field and get Casboult as a Fullback and ruck - playing a bit like Schache but also gives us someone to play on monsters.
Hi Gents

Reading away quietly and seen this post
Surprised there is not more mention of CJ in the doggies board as he would be a perfect fit for you guys with Martin finishing and the requirement for a KPF/2nd Ruck thats 21 years old and just about physically ready.

Hi Gents

Surprised there is not more mention of CJ in the doggies board as he would be a perfect fit for you guys with Martin finishing and the requirement for a KPF/2nd Ruck thats 21 years old and just about physically ready.
Can you keep CJ and Chol and just give us Nankervis instead?

Hi Gents

Do you reckon Soldo and Nank are a better fit alongside each other than Soldo + Chol/CCJ or Nank + Chol/CCJ? Genuine question, because I'd really like for us to sort out ruck situation out for next year, but I'm not confident that Chol is any better than English in the ruck tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you reckon Soldo and Nank are a better fit alongside each other than Soldo + Chol/CCJ or Nank + Chol/CCJ? Genuine question, because I'd really like for us to sort out ruck situation out for next year, but I'm not confident that Chol is any better than English in the ruck tbh
My preference would be to play 3 talls (3 headed monster theory)

Lynch-Jack-Cj

With Nank as Ruck and some games also soldo
Chol would be the player that i would rather lose

But im thinking its going to be Cj that leaves for more opportunity

Also i think CJ will become the better Ruck/Fwd than Chol who has a better leap but appears less inclined to jump at the ball or harder in the contest

Hi Gents

Not sure we have the trade assets to do it. I think in a perfect world we would prefer someone who is primarily a ruck first. CCJ looks like he’s a forward first and ruck second.

My preference would be to play 3 talls (3 headed monster theory)

Lynch-Jack-Cj

With Nank as Ruck and some games also soldo
Chol would be the player that i would rather lose

But im thinking its going to be Cj that leaves for more opportunity

Also i think CJ will become the better Ruck/Fwd than Chol who has a better leap but appears less inclined to jump at the ball or harder in the contest
If given the chance to poach a ruck from Richmond I'd be going Soldo, but I'm guessing he's your current 1st choice when fit (or 2nd to Nank).

How's Chol vs CCJ as rucks in your opinion? Does CCJ play much ruck in the VFL or is he more of a forward?

If given the chance to poach a ruck from Richmond I'd be going Soldo, but I'm guessing he's your current 1st choice when fit (or 2nd to Nank).

How's Chol vs CCJ as rucks in your opinion? Does CCJ play much ruck in the VFL or is he more of a forward?
I will go by VFL form as i think thats a better indication

In the VFL Cj is in my mind without a doubt the better ruckman all round except leap where Chol has him covered
I watch 7-8 Vfl games a year (only 2 this year for covid reasons etc)

Cj Is also the more reliable foward with Chol the more mercurial at times
Soldo is extremely under rated as a Ruckman and has developed well and will only get better due to his size and strength as he is a very very strong man

I remember watching a VFL game against north where as a 19 year old with just 12 months in the game Soldo was man handling preuss and beat him convincingly that game but he offers virtually nothing up foward and very little around the ground.

We will also have Nate Colina 213cm 115kgs ex basketballer from Haawai who is Noah Balta cousin playing at Richmond in 2022 and has been at the clu now for 3 months just learning ruckwork from Ivan Maric

Not sure we have the trade assets to do it. I think in a perfect world we would prefer someone who is primarily a ruck first. CCJ looks like he’s a forward first and ruck second.
I think you easily have the assets to do a deal

Richmond would be eyeing off your 1st rounder this year which would most likely need to be traded out for points
#28/#42/#47 for #17/#18 gives the doggies an extra 400 points for matching Darcy bid. So that would get us all warm and fuzzy together

2022 2nd Rounder + Lipinski for CJ type of trade would be looking reasonable

Shame Richmond became the defacto Croatian club when we have always been the obvious candidate.

I think you easily have the assets to do a deal

Richmond would be eyeing off your 1st rounder this year which would most likely need to be traded out for points
#28/#42/#47 for #17/#18 gives the doggies an extra 400 points for matching Darcy bid. So that would get us all warm and fuzzy together

2022 2nd Rounder + Lipinski for CJ type of trade would be looking reasonable
ok you've got a deal. Do you have any decent KPDs you can give us as well?

ok you've got a deal. Do you have any decent KPDs you can give us as well?
LOl not sure really
We have Ben Miller (who i want to keep 198cm 96kgs and is faster than Daniel Rioli and has a leap like Riewoldt but has not been played) - I keep him
Also Have Bigoa 'Biggy' Nyuon 199cm 92kgs african kid that has unbelievable speed agility and leap but is learning defensive plays and is 2 years away

Ryan Garthwaite is the only other defender on the list thats over 192cm
who is ok but more a 3rd defender but has had some good games - Free to good home i think

Hi Gents

I think most people who want us to add another ruck want a primary ruck so English can play forward more. We've also got Darcy coming through the draft this year who looks like he might be most suited to forward/reliving ruck so I don't think CCJ really suits us going forward.
We also don't have much trade capital or cap space so are probably better off using that on a mature key defender.

I think most people who want us to add another ruck want a primary ruck so English can play forward more. We've also got Darcy coming through the draft this year who looks like he might be most suited to forward/reliving ruck so I don't think CCJ really suits us going forward.
We also don't have much trade capital or cap space so are probably better off using that on a mature key defender.
Possibly and you guys would know more about the doggies needs

I personally like English as the main Ruckman with 10-15% Foward time
Darcy - Juh combo looks good

If we're going to go after another ruckman for next year, I'd ideally like someone who can actually be competitive in the hits.

This year, Martin has won 34.0% of his ruck contests (ranking 36th for rucks), Sweet 33.9% (39th), English 33.7% (40th). Bruce is at 26.3%.

I like Chol, but he's not fairing much better at 33.5% (41st). CCJ is at 40.3%. Champion Data doesn't classify CCJ as a ruck, but if they did he'd slot in at 26th. Peter Ladhams is at 36.1% (33rd).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back