Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handling should have played more in 2016 imo.
He was a player who played better in the AFL rather than VFL.

His job on Jeremy Cameron in the prelim was hugggeeee.
Not really, Adams was much better in the games that he played than Hamling was in either 2015 or 2016 until Adams got injured.

It's fair Hamling got his chance with that injury, but we were raving how good of a mature-aged pickup Adams was after his first month of games or so, before we knew about how often he would get injured or how he didn't gel with the culture of his teammates.

People are very forgetful.

Not really, Adams was much better in the games that he played than Hamling was in either 2015 or 2016 until Adams got injured.

It's fair Hamling got his chance with that injury, but we were raving how good of a mature-aged pickup Adams was after his first month of games or so, before we knew about how often he would get injured or how he didn't gel with the culture of his teammates.

People are very forgetful.
I’ve often wondered how Hamling would’ve ended up had Adams not got injured in 2016.

An unfortunate situation for Adams, but almost certainly a career saving one for Hamling.

What about Max Lynch from the pies? Did well against Gawn and gawn the next week when the million dollar man had to come back in. Apparently on the move and would fit the BF MC. Unfortunately, he wont come out west as list selections show that the real MC do not see the need for another ruck.
Seriously? Why did they trade for Martin and try for Goldstein and others? Maybe they just don’t like crap 2nd rucks

I'm happy with 1 tyear for both.

Butler is still fringe and needs to work his way into the best 22 before he gets a multi year deal

Garcia should be a long termer, but the query is his body standing up. When he strings together a series of games, then a multi year deal would be appropriate.
Yep I think Power really knows his s..t and will not give more years than he needs to

The bulldogs bigfooty posters that follow the dogs closely were just about 100% in agreement we needed another ruckman. I like a number said if we could get Goldstein we would be challenging for a flag. Not sure if we ever had a chance of getting him but do not think we even tried. We went for the cheaper option in Martin knowing he was a big injury risk. Early on in the the season it looked good but now it looks like it now maybe the difference between a flag and missing out by not having a competitive experienced ruckman to help English . If we could not have have got Goldstein was there other options say Sinclair from the Swans.
We did try

Would have loved him and thought the same when Port picked him up, but with the points needed for matching Marra, not to mention the future 2nd rounder we spent in 2019 as part of the Keath trade, we just didn't have the currency. In the end, it was Allir vs Treloar and even then we had to dip into this year's pick stash. I'm satisfied with who we chose.
At the time I’d have gladly done this years first for Aliir. Even now in hindsight and even with Darcy needing points I’d still be happy. Water under the bridge now though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vanders can play on a wing, easily, but not sure if Bev believes in such a position

Seems to prefer rotating forwards through there. Might have originated with Picken's finals campaign, wings that can be goals threats are handy.

I think wing is fine. On the one side we have Hunter as an accumulator/defensive wing and Daniel can also play that role. McNeil gives good coverage.

On the other wing we currently have JJ - who should be perfect as a fast running attacking wing/hf but is a bit out of form. Trelor is AA level in that position and VDM will rotate from HF onto that role also. Roarke is playing there at the moment and is servicable but probably doesn’t play if Trelor or VDM is fit.

Then we have Butler who looks the goods - great guy runner and good in the air.

Lipinski is a different approach but I prefer him as a half forward rotating in the guts - despite the naysayers he is coming along nicely and just needs to bed down the promise he has shown in the contest. Watch out next year.

Ruck is an issue - Martin works perfectly when he on the park but not when he ain’t - which seems like a lot. Not sure he continues next year but either way, even with Sweets development we need another senior and junior ruck (Darcy). Could take a risk with someone like Zac Smith - if fit he is a very good player and mature body or a solid senior like Sinclair. I reckon Power will go a different way with a Coleman Jones or Darcy Cameron who have a few years in the system, can play forward and a bit in front of Sweet. Or go left field and get Casboult as a Fullback and ruck - playing a bit like Schache but also gives us someone to play on monsters.

Small forward is still not settled. Weightman has been great but still don’t have a crumber. Scott is more like Weightman. McNeil - I like him and could be the solution and McLean can play there but they are not as dangerous as we would like. Could go for a Ronke or even hope we can turn around someone like Lewis Taylor who is behind Som wig the leagues best small forwards. I was keen on Sam Gray but he looks to have gone south.

Biggest need is another solid KPD - if I could get one of them - I would just take Darcy and Raak and be OK.

Sam Reid playing 2nd ruck today. Would be a good option for a swing man.

Just a question..... clearly our biggest need is another KPD, Zaine tries hard as does Gardiner but both of them are often out matched in one on ones and their disposal is a concern. Should we try turning Schache into a KPD. He is big enough, he can grab a mark and is a reliable kick. With Jamarra coming and our forward line currently well stocked for key forwards, he is unlikely to make the team as a forward consistently.

Why not try him in defence in the VFL and give him a chance to see if that works? It’s a position of need and Young and Khamis have not grabbed the spot yet and both could be a bit undersized anyway.

Thoughts?
I know I wasn’t the first to mention this and there is an actual thread devoted to it by another poster but I did feel a sense of satisfaction seeing the coaches actually decide to try this by playing Schache in defence in the seconds and at training and start to change him into a KPD. We have given away far too many of these types when we originally had them in our team. I know the jury is still out on whether it is a good decision long term, but it never hurts to try does it? And if that first game is anything to go by he looked pretty comfortable down back even when exposed as the last line of defence. He contested well in the air and took a number of great intercept marks. He has the size to play on the bigger forwards so I am rapt that it is now a reality. I think it’s his only chance of a future in our team.

taking with a grain of salt but a Facebook page reporting we’re into Tom Clurey from Power

With all the hand-wringing about needing a KPD other than Young or Cordy and a ruck other than Sweet surely an extra year on Jackson Trengove's contract would have been worthwhile?

Before you all pile on I do know that (a) Bevo didn't rate him for whatever reason (2) he would not be a star and (3) he would certainly not be a long term or even a medium term solution.

However consider that:
  • he is still only 31, not too old to play senior footy (that's 3 years younger than Martin BTW!)
  • he can ruck or play KPD or some combination of the two, both areas where we need reliable backup
  • he'd provide more flexibility in where we play English, at the very least be able to give him a ruck chop-out
  • he could take on the monster KPFs especially when we have two or more to deal with (eg Cameron and Hawkins)
  • he'd be insurance against a Keath injury (Dog forbid!)
  • he is strong, physically sound and tall (197) Cordy is only 193-ish
  • he would almost certainly be better than Cordy (on recent efforts) and more consistent than Young
  • he would allow Cordy or even Khamis to play as a third tall - we lack a genuine interceptor while Keath is forced to stay close to the big KPFs
  • he'd only be there until we found some better & younger replacement but, as many have lamented, there aren't all that many good ruck or KPD options out there right now
  • he'd be good for 2021, maybe even 2022 if we were still stuck
  • he would have been free (no trade cost)
  • he would have been on a minimal contract
Would it be any worse having him on our list playing VFL than someone like Will Hayes? If Gardner is still in rehab and / or Keath gets injured just before the finals and we have nobody to replace him I reckon we'll regret not still having Trengove.

Anyway that horse has now bolted. Just seems like a missed opportunity.
Believe it or not there was serious consideration given to giving Trengove another year until they got Martin over the line. After that I think they just decided that they could make do with Sweet, Young and Schache.

Bev is a premiership coach and coach of the current top side so I will defer to him, but I would have played Trengove a lot more in the ruck last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back