Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we always hang onto guys a year too long it seems and are a bit scared to cut bait with the 39-44 ranked guys on the list for some reason. Not the biggest deal because they are probably better than the random dart throw at the end of the draft this year, but I would rather have a look at an extra guy in this year's draft. Without a lot of footy this past season and the late runs draftees like Bont etc make to come in from 2nd - 3rd round picks to top 10, there could be some diamonds in the rough we miss out on.
You trying to cull this thread by 3 qtrs?

Whoever the Crows end up drafting will almost certainly earn millions over the next 10 years + of their career.

Getting a "kick starter investment portfolio" bonus from NAB worth a small fraction of that surely has zero factor whatsoever, as does any lingering element of the Keath trade.

Adelaide may not bid on him simply because there's no point, they're getting the same player either way given they know we'll match and other clubs suffer more if we pay less points, but it won't be for all the silly reasons being thrown around.

I don’t know where I got the idea, I think it might have been after the Saints put in a bid for Ace Cordy, but I thought other clubs agree between themselves on who will put in a bid to ensure the club with the nomination right pay a reasonable draft pick. Going by that and the fact Sydney have already said they will bid, I expect we won’t get a bid until pick three.

Whoever the Crows end up drafting will almost certainly earn millions over the next 10 years + of their career.

Getting a "kick starter investment portfolio" bonus from NAB worth a small fraction of that surely has zero factor whatsoever, as does any lingering element of the Keath trade.

Adelaide may not bid on him simply because there's no point, they're getting the same player either way given they know we'll match and other clubs suffer more if we pay less points, but it won't be for all the silly reasons being thrown around.
The main reason is purely good PR which they are in desperate need of. Reset the club and the industry and media negativity, look forward with their first ever number 1 pick, leave the training camp and bad trades (Gibbs, Keath, Crouch) behind them.
Or bid at 1 and appear to be more interested in trying to screw (and failing miserably) one of the smaller Vic teams.
There’s no denying pick 1 is different from pick 2 despite it being the same player.

Thank you. People saying "there's no way they'll bid pick 1" for whatever reason are kidding themselves. There's every chance they will. And if they think he's the best, they should.

After a while, severe concussions aren’t just a mental health issue. Another couple of knocks and he may not be with us any more.

A strong no, to drafting and potentially ‘killing’ McCartin.
Yep agree I was just giving one reason but the overall situation is too risky

I don't mind keeping Cavarra on as a rookie, but holding Hayes at the same time as Roarke doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, he's a VFL level player.

I'd much prefer we moved him on and gave another mature player like Anthony Scott a crack (which we may still do but less likely given the recent retentions).

I don't mind keeping Cavarra on as a rookie, but holding Hayes at the same time as Roarke doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, he's a VFL level player.

I'd much prefer we moved him on and gave another mature player like Anthony Scott a crack (which we may still do but less likely given the recent retentions).
I agree, I’ve never rated Hayes. I suspect the reduction in interchange and the focus on endurance again may have saved him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I’m also in this boat. Roarke may not be particularly good at any one thing but flexibility to be not terrible at a few things puts him ahead. Treloar coming in should probably have stamped Hayes’ papers I think. Would rather punt on a mature age genuine small forward forward in his spot

Hayes and Scott are basically the same thing and neither are AFL standard

If JUH is bid on at pick 1, my preference would be to take 66 to the draft (preferably for a KPD if there's one there, otherwise a small forward) and then take two rookie picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dogs main list Roarke in this case, though.

If a bid comes at 2-3, I'd take 49 and 51 and then take one rookie selection. I wouldn't rookie Roarke but that's out of the question.

I haven't followed the draft so no idea of names, but I have very little interest in either Raak or MacPherson from the little I know.

If JUH is bid on at pick 1, my preference would be to take 66 to the draft (preferably for a KPD if there's one there, otherwise a small forward) and then take two rookie picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dogs main list Roarke in this case, though.

If a bid comes at 2-3, I'd take 49 and 51 and then take one rookie selection. I wouldn't rookie Roarke but that's out of the question.

I haven't followed the draft so no idea of names, but I have very little interest in either Raak or MacPherson from the little I know.
66 will end up closer to 45 by the time it rolls around. Although we will probably pick a kid no one has heard of regardless.

Hayes will be great if all of Hunter, Bont, Macrae, Smith & Treloar go down

Dunks, Liber and Wallis at every centre bounce, Hayes streaming up and down the wing. We played parts of 2016 without our entire backline, that sort of scenario almost guarantees us a flag against the odds! :D Not sure I want Bevo calling up injured Bont to the dais at the 2021 cup presentation though!

Hi all,
Probably not the right place for it but can anyone give me some information on Jordan Russell?
I believe he was the dogs midfield coach?

With all the missed football nobody really knows who the best player in the draft is. We don't find that out until about 8 years down the track.

Adelaide with their chance to grab a fantastic local kid at number 1 in Thilthrope in my view would be mad to pass on that especially considering all the bad press in recent years.

Thilthrope is a great player with toughness and hardness already in his frame and the right mental attitude. I just think they will go that way. I hope so, but what will be will be.

Hi all,
Probably not the right place for it but can anyone give me some information on Jordan Russell?
I believe he was the dogs midfield coach?

Hi mate- was appointed our vfl coach only recently. A good appointment for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back