Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lipinski put up an incredibly dominant VFL game against Geelong and then wasn't picked to fly over to Perth. He was also BOG the time before he was sent to the VFL.

Doesn't necessarily always fit with our team balance or our style of play, but you can't ignore that he's clearly decent AFL standard on the basis of how much better he is than everyone when he goes back to the VFL.
He wasn’t on the flight?

OK, let's talk about Darcy junior. I know **** all about him.

Is he a ruckman, a CHB or a CHF?

And is he really a top 5 or top 10 draft talent? If so, why?

Seems like a genuine tall utility though he said on radio that he sees himself more as a forwad/ruck.

He's probably a top 10 talent, but wouldn't be in a draft class with more talls. The top end is full of medium-sized midfielders, so he'll probably get a bid in the top 10 from a club who really wants a tall. He's definitely the best 2m talent in the pool.

Carlton, North, maybe Hawthorn could all do with a skilled midfielder. I'd be asking for a second.
Am I missing something here? Are we in desperate need of a second round pick?

What is the advantage of trading out Lipinski? He hasn’t quite put it together at AFL level but tears the VFL a new arse hole. Could be a legitimate gun in a couple years and is a bulldog lifer.

I agree he could end up being one of those players who can only ever do it at VFL level but their is no risk in keeping him on our list and major potential reward if he keeps developing. If he was 3 or 4 years older, I would totally get it, but he’s only 22.

What is the advantage of trading out Lipinski? He hasn’t quite put it together at AFL level but tears the VFL a new arse hole. Could be a legitimate gun in a couple years and is a bulldog lifer.

I agree he could end up being one of those players who can only ever do it at VFL level but their is no risk in keeping him on our list and major potential reward if he keeps developing. If he was 3 or 4 years older, I would totally get it, but he’s only 22.

We have the worst draft hand in the league, a top 10 father-son pick coming through, and some gaps on the list that needs addressing. Only way to do that is trade out players who have some value.

I think Lipinski will go. We're in for a weird trading period, with not many guys who will clearly be moved on. We need to move a minimum of 3 from the senior list and Jong is the only guy you would think is a certainty.
Lewis Young and Wallis may move on to other clubs, Schache is contracted but may do so too, Martin could retire. Every other senior list player we'd probably want to lock in.

OUT:
Jong (delisted)
Schache (late pick trade)
Wallis (FA for an end of 2nd round pick).
Lipinski (traded for a late 2nd round pick).
Cavarra and Hayes delisted from the rookie list.
Upgrade 1 rookie to the main list.

That would give us 33 senior list players, 6 rookies and 1 cat B rookie. So 3 senior list spots available.

I think Lipinski will go. We're in for a weird trading period, with not many guys who will clearly be moved on. We need to move a minimum of 3 from the senior list and Jong is the only guy you would think is a certainty.
Lewis Young and Wallis may move on to other clubs, Schache is contracted but may do so too, Martin could retire. Every other senior list player we'd probably want to lock in.

OUT:
Jong (delisted)
Schache (late pick trade)
Wallis (FA for an end of 2nd round pick).
Lipinski (traded for a late 2nd round pick).
Cavarra and Hayes delisted from the rookie list.
Upgrade 1 rookie to the main list.

That would give us 33 senior list players, 6 rookies and 1 cat B rookie. So 3 senior list spots available.

McNeil and Gardner have both signed multi-year contracts, does that mean they're on the main list or can rookies have multi-year deals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McNeil and Gardner have both signed multi-year contracts, does that mean they're on the main list or can rookies have multi-year deals?
Rookies can have multi year deals (Treacy just committed to Freo's rookie list through 2023), but I'd expect Gardner is definitely upgraded, with McNeil a maybe

We have the worst draft hand in the league, a top 10 father-son pick coming through, and some gaps on the list that needs addressing. Only way to do that is trade out players who have some value.
Please feel free to send me an “I told you so” if we trade him but it would completely blow me away if we did. I believe Power will back in the development of our current list and look to add a role player or two through free agency.

if Lipinski demanded a trade that is a different story.We would try and pry a good return out of it but do not think the club will be pushing it at all. Richards is a similar risk like this. Will be highly sought by other clubs offering good money but believe the club have zero interest in moving either of them on.

Last edited:
I think the club would definitely want to keep Lipinski but if he wants to go that’d be understandable, although recently we’ve had plenty of players in similar positions to him recommit even though they weren’t playing and backing themselves in.

We’ve been so spoilt with guys coming onto the scene so quickly that I think we’ve forgotten that so many players don’t succeed at the level until 23/24/25 even. We only have to look at Williams for us, in and out of the side everyone knew he had talent but he couldn’t show it consistently at AFL level. Dale is another, he’s what 24? And finally locked down a role, sure the position change has helped but I think there’s more to it than that he just looks like he knows he belongs now. Parish at the bombers another good example, I’m sure I could list 100 if I put my mind to it.

Guys like Lipinski and Richards are AFL level talents with years of preseasons into them now and a fair few games of experience. If they want to leave for opportunity that’s one thing but otherwise you don’t push them out for shitty draft picks, no way

Would we really trade Lipinski after developing him for several years into a future afl standard player, for less than we initially drafted him for?
If he really wants to stay for less money and less opportunity than he will get elsewhere I don’t think we’ll force him out the door. At worst he’s great depth. But objectively speaking he’d be mad not to look elsewhere, if I were his manager I know I’d be pushing him to test the market

He’s out of contract so we may not have much choice.

Suns putting their first pick (3) on the trade table for a key forward. This is where clubs need the ability to trade players without their permission, would be interesting to see what packages teams would put together to try and get it.

What key forwards are out there that (a) are worth pick 3 and (b) a club would actually part with?

Suns putting their first pick (3) on the trade table for a key forward. This is where clubs need the ability to trade players without their permission, would be interesting to see what packages teams would put together to try and get it.

I don't think any team has a surplus of gun key forwards so I don't think they'll get anyone. I'd offer them Schache for pick 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back