Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How were we out coached? We were 3 goals up half way through the 3rd and didn't do some basic things and then the fatigue of the finals series kicked in
If we'd had some failed ex-AFL coach, and not young, bright assistants who are being poached by other clubs, in the box, we may have overturned a ... 12+ goal loss!

How were we out coached? We were 3 goals up half way through the 3rd and didn't do some basic things and then the fatigue of the finals series kicked in
Demons system, structure and game plan was far superior. Individual brilliance by Bont and Treloar and having the more talented team got us the lead. Melbournes system broke us down. At no stage were we able to get clean inside 50’s. This was due to how they set up defensively. we were also to slow in reacting to stem the run on late in the 3rd. We needed to adjust our centre square set up to neutralise the ease in which they exited.

Hopefully next year everyone goes to school on the Dees and our natural improvement can close the gap, but leaving all strategy to Bevo and not bringing ina talented assistant coach with AFL experience may cost us multiple premierships with the best list we will ever have.

Demons system, structure and game plan was far superior. Individual brilliance by Bont and Treloar and having the more talented team got us the lead. Melbournes system broke us down. At no stage were we able to get clean inside 50’s. This was due to how they set up defensively. we were also to slow in reacting to stem the run on late in the 3rd. We needed to adjust our centre square set up to neutralise the ease in which they exited.

Hopefully next year everyone goes to school on the Dees and our natural improvement can close the gap, but leaving all strategy to Bevo and not bringing ina talented assistant coach with AFL experience may cost us multiple premierships with the best list we will ever have.

It was the coaches fault individual players made major mistakes in the first quarter. The coaches fault the centre bounce players didn’t defend very well late 3rd quarter.

We were beaten on and off the park on the day but it more to do with effort and fatigue than poor coaching

Last edited:
Do we have a hope of getting Charlie Dean with our first pick after Darcy in draft or will he be gone by then ?

It was the coaches fault individual players made major mistakes in the first quarter. The coaches fault the centre bounce players didn’t defend very well late 3rd quarter.

We were beaten on and off the park on the day but it more to do with effort and fatigue than poor coaching

Why do people keeping blaming effort and fatigue. We blew Port off the park only two weeks earlier after a hard patch and extensive travel. Where was the fatigue excuse then?

We flew to Perth from Adelaide and had a week off. Maybe we were beaten by a fitter, mentally stronger, better structured team. Once it got to 6 goals, we dropped our heads, its happens.

Not sure about that. In 2-3 years some of our players will be past their best. Treloar, Libba, Bruce, Keath etc.
Naughton and Baz are already gun players; not sure they have that much growth left in them. JUH and Darcy could be nothing. Tim having more strength in the ruck is a pipe dream.
My suspicion is that we have been in the peak Bevo years since we recruited Keath and Bruce. I don't think we will be better off in two to three years. I think now is the time.
I'll split the difference and say our window is from now for the next 3 years. 3-4 flags in that time please. And when you mention th Deese, dotn forget they had virtially NO INJURIES this year. KOTD and no depth. Theyre a flash in the pan.

I'll split the difference and say our window is from now for the next 3 years. 3-4 flags in that time please. And when you mention th Deese, dotn forget they had virtially NO INJURIES this year. KOTD and no depth. Theyre a flash in the pan.

4 flags in a 3-year window would be pretty impressive!

Do we have a hope of getting Charlie Dean with our first pick after Darcy in draft or will he be gone by then ?
There's no possible way of knowing this without knowing where the Darcy bid comes. If it comes at 2 as expected, 99.9% sure no.

If Darcy somehow gets to 4 or further and we're actively trading picks at the time, game on.

Why do people keeping blaming effort and fatigue. We blew Port off the park only two weeks earlier after a hard patch and extensive travel. Where was the fatigue excuse then?

We flew to Perth from Adelaide and had a week off. Maybe we were beaten by a fitter, mentally stronger, better structured team. Once it got to 6 goals, we dropped our heads, its happens.
Fatigue is cumulative. After Flying to a quarantining in Tasmania for a week, we had to remain there and ten fly up to Brisbane, Back to Tasmania, To Perth to Quarantine, to Adelaide under tight Quarantine restrictions, back to Perth for a further week of Quarantine. It will catch up at some time

You do realise that during the quarter it has absolutely nothing to do with the coach or coaching as to how teams adjust, that coaching is done during preparation and tweaks can be made during the breaks. During the game is actually up to the players on the ground to make the adjustment in the centre during the third quarter which with Bont off when that started we had a lack of leadership on the ground.

To say we had a more talented team is debateable at best, and given they finished on top with a great record against all finalists its fair to say their system (not sure why you have differentiated system and game plan) and structure was superior all year. Yet for a quarter and a half we were able to break it down and it was not just 2 players that did that.

Our apparently non talented assistant coaches must have been poor at their jobs, so poor in fact they are being coached by other clubs.

Would it be fair to say though that all clubs would have a game plan to limit the damage when the opposition get a run on of say 4 to 5 goals? Either the players failed to implement this properly or that “game plan “ is badly flawed. I would hope the club is not putting the loss down to fatigue only and aspects of coaching are being reviewed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise that during the quarter it has absolutely nothing to do with the coach or coaching as to how teams adjust, that coaching is done during preparation and tweaks can be made during the breaks. During the game is actually up to the players on the ground to make the adjustment in the centre during the third quarter which with Bont off when that started we had a lack of leadership on the ground.

To say we had a more talented team is debateable at best, and given they finished on top with a great record against all finalists its fair to say their system (not sure why you have differentiated system and game plan) and structure was superior all year. Yet for a quarter and a half we were able to break it down and it was not just 2 players that did that.

Our apparently non talented assistant coaches must have been poor at their jobs, so poor in fact they are being coached by other clubs.

you are right, the coach cannot do anything while this is happening... bont and the leadership group needed to act at the end of the day.

This is not politically correct, and the highest level I ever played was vfa reserves, so I am not for one minute insinuating that I know better, however if I was one of the 3 leaders out on the ground back in my day and that run on started I would have taken it upon myself to start fight or target an opposition player physically in the hope it started a big mellee and slowed down momentum.

Sadly, we did nothing!

you are right, the coach cannot do anything while this is happening... bont and the leadership group needed to act at the end of the day.

This is not politically correct, and the highest level I ever played was vfa reserves, so I am not for one minute insinuating that I know better, however if I was one of the 3 leaders out on the ground back in my day and that run on started I would have taken it upon myself to start fight or target an opposition player physically in the hope it started a big mellee and slowed down momentum.

Sadly, we did nothing!

Forget the tribunal, it was a grand final for goodness sake and we have only ever played in 4 in our history! They don't come around everyday!

Fatigue is cumulative. After Flying to a quarantining in Tasmania for a week, we had to remain there and ten fly up to Brisbane, Back to Tasmania, To Perth to Quarantine, to Adelaide under tight Quarantine restrictions, back to Perth for a further week of Quarantine. It will catch up at some time
We didn’t go back to Tasmania, went from Brisbane to Perth.

Why? Because before Perth for the GF and Adelaide PF we were in Perth (the first time)and Brisbane and Tasmania prior being rushed out of Melbourne. How many times did we do quarantine in that period? How was that in comparison to Melbourne? Yes it was our own fault and not the major reason why we lost but it was definitely a factor.

Fatigue has nothing to do with it. We had two weeks to freshen up and the second week we weren't in any kind of quarantine. Melbourne has the more talented side. Half the AA team was Melbourne. There's * all Bevo or the coaching box can do when the centre bounce crew are getting smashed like that. The 6/6/6 rule stops you from doing anything with numbers. You're completely exposed at centre bounce in today's game and if you let teams have direct entries from there then there's no stopping them from scoring. Melbourne have the best centre bounce crew in the comp and it won them the flag.

I feel like it was a case of mental fatigue more so than being physically fatigued. With all the travel and the quarantine requirements, when the crunch came there wasn't anything further to give.
And we know how the rest played out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back