Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Edmund said this today

Josh Dunkley (Western Bulldogs)

“So hard to read this.

“I’ve come and gone with this, yesterday my confidence had well and truly cracked.

“The Brisbane offer is close to comparable for Josh Dunkley, it’s not like Brisbane have blown the Dogs off the water.

“But the Port Adelaide offer, however, is a better one financially, that’s the superior offer and that’s the temptation.

“Internally, he’s super invested, I’m told he’s engaged and he’s behaving like a player that will be there for the long-term.

“But we won’t know until the Dogs’ season is finished either way.

“From their (the Western Bulldogs’) mind, they’re as comfortable as you can be when a key player hasn’t re-signed.”

Yeah fair, I’d take Pick 8 minimum for Dunks and just be done with it (should he request a trade, I’d prefer to keep him) but think his value should be higher considering what other good but not great mids have commanded in the past

Lobbs such a hard one, I’m really questioning whether we should be going for that anymore. I know Darcy’s going to be up & down and it won’t be all smooth sailing from here but I think he’s shown enough to say he should play most weeks going forward even if he goes through some quiet patches etc

And bringing in Lobb effectively locks him out of that forward line for a minimum of 2 years. If we’re happy to build around him in defence for that time then great but it’s a big decision.
Getting Lobb and Jones allows a couple of things things:

1. Jones is our nr 1 defender with Gards nr 2. Darcy then becomes a 205+ cm intercepting wall in defence for two years.
3. Lobb allows a solid and 208+ cm target up forward and allows us to continue to contend now with Naughts getting 2nd defender and Marra getting the third.
4. On dry days with a smaller oppo attack, Darcy can also push forward with him and Lobb on either side of the Goal square leading up and Naughts and Marra high forwards who can push up high and run back as both are quick for their size. That ball shouldn't hit the ground, but if it does, a deep press should hopefully keep it in there.

As an example. Geelong are the likely premiers this year and towel us up every bloody time.

We could have a forward line like this:

....................I....I
...............I....I....I....I

.............Darcy Lobb

Naughts Flea West Marra

In defence we could have:
Jones on Hawkins
Gards on Cameron
Cordy on Ceglar (Resting ruck)
Williams on Rohan
Duryea on Stengle
Richards on Close

English does what English does and intercepts in defence and moves forward to attack. I don't care what anyone says, that forward line will scare the s**t out of you. If we get a KPD in the Draft, they have time to build up and take over from Jones.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

“So hard to read this.

“I’ve come and gone with this, yesterday my confidence had well and truly cracked.

“The Brisbane offer is close to comparable for Josh Dunkley, it’s not like Brisbane have blown the Dogs off the water.

“But the Port Adelaide offer, however, is a better one financially, that’s the superior offer and that’s the temptation.

“Internally, he’s super invested, I’m told he’s engaged and he’s behaving like a player that will be there for the long-term.

“From their (the Western Bulldogs’) mind, they’re as comfortable as you can be when a key player hasn’t re-signed.”
Probably Sydney bound the way this is playing out! Pickering pulling another quiet deal in the dark….

Getting Lobb and Jones allows a couple of things things:

1. Jones is our nr 1 defender with Gards nr 2. Darcy then becomes a 205+ cm intercepting wall in defence for two years.
3. Lobb allows a solid and 208+ cm target up forward and allows us to continue to contend now with Naughts getting 2nd defender and Marra getting the third.
4. On dry days with a smaller oppo attack, Darcy can also push forward with him and Lobb on either side of the Goal square leading up and Naughts and Marra high forwards who can push up high and run back as both are quick for their size. That ball shouldn't hit the ground, but if it does, a deep press should hopefully keep it in there.

As an example. Geelong are the likely premiers this year and towel us up every bloody time.

We could have a forward line like this:

....................I....I

.............Darcy Lobb

Naughts Flea West Marra

In defence we could have:
Jones on Hawkins
Gards on Cameron
Cordy on Ceglar (Resting ruck)
Williams on Rohan
Duryea on Stengle
Richards on Close

English does what English does and intercepts in defence and moves forward to attack. I don't care what anyone says, that forward line will scare the s**t out of you. If we get a KPD in the Draft, they have time to build up and take over from Jones.

Sounds great but we need some seriously quick and clever smalls to compliment that.

Sounds great but we need some seriously quick and clever smalls to compliment that.
Agree.

• Weightman needs to relearn his role.
  • West can do it and get midfield time.
  • Rowe seems to know where he needs to be.
  • If we can get one in the draft or if Arthur comes along he can do it too.

Geelong expected to get Grundy.

Pies to pay ~$200K per annum for 3 years, as part of an updated contract. Trade doesn’t involve a first round pick going to the Pies.

This is the sort of money ball move we could as a club look at. Although it would mean 2 elite mobile ruckman, I would rather Grundy doing a 50/50 split with English, than Lobb doing a 20/80 ruck split with English.

We got Treloar for unders and Grundy is certainly going to go for unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies to pay ~$200K per annum for 3 years, as part of an updated contract. Trade doesn’t involve a first round pick going to the Pies.

This is the sort of money ball move we could as a club look at. Although it would mean 2 elite mobile ruckman, I would rather Grundy doing a 50/50 split with English, than Lobb doing a 20/80 ruck split with English.

Bevo hates ruckman though. Imagine him having to deal with Grundy and English? Grundy would end up at CHB.

Geelong deal probably includes 5 million in property off the books

“So hard to read this.

I like to see tomorrow's headline Bulldogs slam dunk a new contract for Josh.

What happens to the rest of his contract? He forfeits it? Unlikely. If pies are paying 600k across three years, it still leaves 4.4million on the table.

Why are Collingwood pushing Grundy out? Cameron has been good but Grundy is so much better plus Cameron then plays Cox role when he is back.

Is their cap tight again?? I feel like I've missed something where all of a sudden they are desperate to get rid of him and will even pay 300k of his contract.

Why are Collingwood pushing Grundy out? Cameron has been good but Grundy is so much better plus Cameron then plays Cox role when he is back.

Is their cap tight again?? I feel like I've missed something where all of a sudden they are desperate to get rid of him and will even pay 300k of his contract.
Its a really dumb move. They've basically painted "damaged goods" on his chest and then said they want to trade him.

A good way to get very little value back in return for an elite player....overpaid or not.

I think they want to bring in Tarranto and McStay and don't have the cash to bring in both.

Where are you hearing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back