Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Ginnivan might be gettable, not happy with his lack of gametime / being pushed out by Bobby Hill.

I'd be interested, would compliment our forward line.
Few media reporters starting to run with this.

Should we? What would be a fair trade? Too much like Weightman? We've struggled with smalls for years always trying to turn some small mid into a small forward, having a genuine small forward that isn't Weightman on the list would be nice.

Should we? What would be a fair trade? Too much like Weightman? We've struggled with smalls for years always trying to turn some small mid into a small forward, having a genuine small forward that isn't Weightman on the list would be nice.

He’s the type of prolific crumber and clean finisher that we need to round out our forward line. Ideally we’d find someone a bit more defensively inclined. But there are only so many small forwards that do both at an elite level. He’s a proven goal kicker and serviceable defensively and perhaps that’s a trade off we could accomodate, particularly if we think Clark or Jones can become a comolimentary pressure forward.

Spend draft assets and a list spot on him tells me the club isn’t confident in the blokes already on the list ?

He’s the type of prolific crumber and clean finisher that we need to round out our forward line. Ideally we’d find someone a bit more defensively inclined. But there are only so many small forwards that do both at an elite level. He’s a proven goal kicker and serviceable defensively and perhaps that’s a trade off we could accomodate, particularly if we think Clark or Jones can become a comolimentary pressure forward.
Disagree. Ginnivan is poor defensively and lacks leg speed and that's the reason he's been pushed out. Ironically, a Bobby Hill type is the player we need to target to round out the future forward line of Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Weightman & a resting mid. Arthur Jones could certainly be that type but I'm not sure he's a natural goalkicker. For comparison, Jones averages 2.91 tackles per game and Ginnivan just 1.31 for his career.

There's plenty of scoring firepower in that group without needing to add another one that limits us defensively. Forward half pressure is vital in today's game.

Absolutlely no ******* way to Ginnivan. Can you imagine the narrative that would emerge from having Ginnivan and Weightman in the same forward line. We would have a reputation for being the biggest floppers and cheats in the comp. And we know the umpires are influenced by that. They already turn a blind eye to Ginnivan having his head ripped off. Weightman would start to get the same treatment. It's entirely predictable how it would play out.

Absolutlely no ******* way to Ginnivan. Can you imagine the narrative that would emerge from having Ginnivan and Weightman in the same forward line. We would have a reputation for being the biggest floppers and cheats in the comp. And we know the umpires are influenced by that. They already turn a blind eye to Ginnivan having his head ripped off. Weightman would start to get the same treatment. It's entirely predictable how it would play out.
I couldn't care less about the narrative, I do care about defense pressure which is a non-negotiable for a small forward rule. Arty Jones, and VDM before him, got extended runs at the role despite not being a huge goal kicking threat because they charged and harassed.

Who gives a * about the narrative.

I watched Ginnivan play on the weekend, my boys wanted to go and see a few of the Collingwood AFL-listed players including him. He had an almost game, effort was good and did some nice things - including a kick to a better-positioned teammate from near the boundary when they were probably already 70-80 points up and he was goalless. I thought that was a good sign of his discipline that he didn't blaze away with a running banana or something similar and made the right choice for the team.

That said, in a thrashing he didn't find much of the ball and didn't kick a goal. Depends on how you're going to judge that, and I don't watch anywhere near enough VFL to do so.

He does obviously have talent though, so if he was cheap from a draft asset perspective I'm sure he'll get picked up. Not sure our list management team would have it as a top priority though.

I couldn't care less about the narrative, I do care about defense pressure which is a non-negotiable for a small forward rule. Arty Jones, and VDM before him, got extended runs at the role despite not being a huge goal kicking threat because they charged and harassed.

Yeah, that’s the trade off I mentioned. With most small forwards you have to give up something as a goal kicker or defensively. I just think we need another opportunist and finisher to capitalise on our bulk inside 50s.

The umpires
This is so ridiculously overblown and boring. How much different do you really think this would make, if even true? Enough to not bring in a player who could potentially solve a glaring hole?

Ginnivan and Weightman both average a touch over 1 free kick for per game across their careers, I'd guess the majority of which were not contentious at all. If suddenly 100% of those contentious free kicks suddenly stopped being paid (which would simply not be the case anyway), what's the true impact? An average of 1 shot on goal per game? Less?

How would AFL clubs get around the salary cap implications of the mid-season trade period the AFL is keen to implement as part of a player movement overhaul next year?
AFL clubs believe there are three possible outcomes.

1. The club that trades a player to a rival for more opportunity might have to retain his salary for that season while he plays elsewhere, rewarded by the draft pick they secure in exchange.

2. Their new club might be given flexibility to absorb their new player’s salary but push it forward into the TPP over the next two or three years.

3. Or their new club might have to push back existing contracts into later seasons – back-ending current deals – to create the space to sign their new player under the existing ca

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would AFL clubs get around the salary cap implications of the mid-season trade period the AFL is keen to implement as part of a player movement overhaul next year?
AFL clubs believe there are three possible outcomes.

1. The club that trades a player to a rival for more opportunity might have to retain his salary for that season while he plays elsewhere, rewarded by the draft pick they secure in exchange.

2. Their new club might be given flexibility to absorb their new player’s salary but push it forward into the TPP over the next two or three years.

3. Or their new club might have to push back existing contracts into later seasons – back-ending current deals – to create the space to sign their new player under the existing ca

You forgot option 4, Vital.

Whichever club employs Ned Guy pays for every traded player's contract! 😄

Seriously, will be interesting to see how AFL goes, and given AFL's history of cocking up every new/old/re-introduced initiative, I reckon all BF boards will be piling on the criticism when it eventuates.

Honestly we should be all over this. Graham has potential and size to be a number 1 lockdown key defender.
Can’t say I know much about him, but he sounds like the type we should be targeting.

I genuinely think JOD has CHB potential, he will be a very large unit I don’t think we have to pidgeon hole him as 3rd tall. But we’re desperate for that number 1 FB type to take over from Jones who can be partnered with JOD/Buss to give us a fair bit to work with whilst rebuilding our defence.

Ginnivan’s a limited player but there’s not many 20 year old small forwards kicking 40 a season. He’s absolutely worth considering if Collingwood aren’t asking for too much in a trade.

While Weightman is small, he doesn’t play small. Ginnivan crumbing JUH/Darcy/Naughton packs would be excellent for us long term

Not the right thread for this but just thinking how underrated our young forward line trio are - Naughty, Marra & Cody. This is the ultimate 2 tall/1 small trio to build a forward line arounf for the next decade, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better one.

All of these 3 are able to kick a (modern day) bag on their day, I haven’t looked at the stats but I’d suggest the amount of 4+ goal games these 3 have had relative to their age & experience they’d be in rare company.

Yeah they all have quiet games, more than we’d like but all young forwards do and the sheer star power in these guys when they’re on is pretty unmatched IMO - imagine in another 100 games of playing together, and hopefully some better delivery. You could quite realistically pencil them in for a combined 1500 goals for the club when all is said & done IMO.

They’re stars

Not the right thread for this but just thinking how underrated our young forward line trio are - Naughty, Marra & Cody. This is the ultimate 2 tall/1 small trio to build a forward line arounf for the next decade, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better one.

All of these 3 are able to kick a (modern day) bag on their day, I haven’t looked at the stats but I’d suggest the amount of 4+ goal games these 3 have had relative to their age & experience they’d be in rare company.

Yeah they all have quiet games, more than we’d like but all young forwards do and the sheer star power in these guys when they’re on is pretty unmatched IMO - imagine in another 100 games of playing together, and hopefully some better delivery. You could quite realistically pencil them in for a combined 1500 goals for the club when all is said & done IMO.

They’re stars
If Bevo steps down in the next 5 or so years we will have a line from Whitten Oval to Bendigo of candidates wanting to take over.

If Bevo steps down in the next 5 or so years we will have a line from Whitten Oval to Bendigo of candidates wanting to take over.
Yeah I’m pretty confident in our future, there’s no doubt there is a HEAP of deadwood on the list which needs to be cleared out quickly, and we desperately need a couple of young mids to start pushing into the midfield, but these things can change quickly, honestly just need to get two drafts right and that problem solves itself.

What is harder is to find the star talent and we’ve got plenty of it in our kids, albeit mostly at one end of the ground. But I think we have the foundations of your ideal premiership side in a couple of years.

Young elite talls coming through (Buss/JOD coming on in defence would help drastically) a few other potentially very good or better smalls at either end ie Baz, Richards, Cody. A couple of very good older heads that should stick around which all premiership sides have - ie Bont & Macrae, but most importantly a pretty solid core group of guys who will be firmly in their best years - CD, Dale, English, Williams guys like this in that age bracket are so important to premiership success.

Really it all just depends on whether we can get the young guys up to scratch whilst the old guys are still hanging on, if the timing plays out we will have a golden period, albeit brief - IMO

I’m a hard no on Ginivan. He is a good finished but adds nothing else. Forward pressure is poor and he doesn’t link up play. I’d rather add a mid sizer like Lohman who would come cheaper.

If we are looking for a small forward (which I think we should be) I’m doing everything to trade up and get Nick Watson. He adds pressure, links up and finishes. I reckon he could have a Rankine/Pickett/ Rachelle impact from day dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back