Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

2027 Dogs:

Weightman Ugle-Hagan Darcy

Daniel Naughton Artie

Friejah Macrae Smith

English Bont Sanders

Coffield Busslinger Dale

Red JOD VDM

Int: Croft (Utility forward) West (mid), Williams (mid-wing), Garcia (mid)

West and Garcia stepping up to full time mids are our most important growth factors.

In 2027 - 4 years from now - Macrae will be 33 and at end of his career but his style will hold. Bont will be 31/32 and still a force but playing more forward - maybe 50% like Danger.

Mid: Bont, Sanders, Macrae, Smith, West, Garcia - is Ok but only if West and Garcia really lift.

Smith (placed on wing but will play more mid replacing Bont),

Croft - Will find we put Naughton back at times if we need to stop a flow and Croft goes forward. Also when English is resting and Darcy in ruck.

Weaknesses:
  • Tall defenders - effectively JOD (looking ok), Buss (unproven) and Gards (proven to be just ok) - no star yet and all top team are built on rocks on defence. Croft may go there. Naughton is the best answer but pay a price. Will be main recruiting target.
  • Small forwards - Daniel and elite player will find a way to excel but is not a natural forward, Artie has shown glimpses and bring great energy and Clarke is unproven. West is too slow and will play mid and McNugget looks ok but can make fast enough decisions- not a natural forward. this role needs to be a genuine threat with speed that creates panic. Maybe O’Driscoll.

Other maybe for best 22:
  • Bedendo, (our unicorn- could be anything - has a very high ceiling as a wing or HFF - fast, strong runner)
  • Scott (Our best utility - if he stayed in defence could be the best replacement for Duryea - no nonsense fierce and good mark)
  • Cleary (will play a lot for Dale, Red or Coffield)
  • Buku - simple fact is he kicks bags of goals: could be the VFL Dixon of our next premiership and is putting on bulk and is a nightmare to match up with - just needs to be a bit quicker and he will force his way in
  • O’Driscoll (lightning fast - wing or small forward)
  • Clarke, (only genuine small forward - is highly rated and can take a spot)
  • Gallagher (reckon will be better than VDM if he can mark - both fast and tough)

Depth: Gardner, McNeil, Poulter, Baker

Next wave: Sanders, Busslinger, Cleary, Clarke, Gallagher, Freijah, O’Driscoll, Garcia

Gonesky: BLobb, Jones, Keath, Libba, Trelor, Duryea and JJ
There will be anywhere from 12-20+ new players on the list by the time the 2027 season rolls about.

I understand the positivity that a thought experiment of a post like yours brings, but it seems to ignore the fact that the list is never in stasis.

Without even projecting the success or otherwise of the latest recruits into the future. I think there are 4 and as many as 6 players from your projected starting 22 that are long odds to be on the list in 2027.

The likelihood of the team looking anything like you have it is somewhere around the Zero.

Bailey Smith, Sanders and Joel top 3 2km time trail

We all know Scrag is the residential s**t poster, so I learn to not take 90% of their posts seriously. Now they have posted some super accurate inside info, that not even our ITKs had wind of. Suddenly the needle swings back the other way to honest poster extraordinaire.

Now I don't even know what to believe no more :weary: Do we have to start taking Scrags posts seriously?

Well done on that call though.

So that leaves just one CAT B spot left on the list I assume?

Happy with Bramble, mature depth who still has time on his side. He was also really ******* good in the VFL semi-final against us playing out of defence.
He turned that game against us from hbf.

I went to school with him and his brother. His dad had a bit to do with our junior clubs too. Lovely guy.

With Bramble joining that makes him the 4th ex Hawk after Suckling, Duryea and Glimpses O'Brien to join I believe.

We are going to be seriously fast next year. Exciting times.
Yeah it’s been a clear directive which is great, I’m still of the opinion you only need a couple of speedy additions to change the outlook of a side. The core of our team is not overly quick but if they’re complimented on the outside by pace, that’s all you need. That’s why I’ve been so frustrated when we play small slow role players that don’t really offer a point of difference.

Every single support player around our core - who are mostly accumulators, should be impact players whether on offense or defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know Scrag is the residential s**t poster, so I learn to not take 90% of their posts seriously. Now they have posted some super accurate inside info, that not even our ITKs had wind of. Suddenly the needle swings back the other way to honest poster extraordinaire.

Now I don't even know what to believe no more :weary: Do we have to start taking Scrags posts seriously?

Well done on that call though.

So that leaves just one CAT B spot left on the list I assume?

This will probably be the only time I have inside knowledge so I've enjoyed being able to contribute something of value for once.

This will probably be the only time I have inside knowledge so I've enjoyed being able to contribute something of value for once.
Polite golf clap.

golf-victory-dance.gif

Happy with Bramble, mature depth who still has time on his side. He was also really ******* good in the VFL semi-final against us playing out of defence.
He turned that game against us from hbf.

I went to school with him and his brother. His dad had a bit to do with our junior clubs too. Lovely guy.

Scrag"TheGoodOil"City has said Bramble is better on the wing. And who are we to gainsay him?

Everybody who has posted their starting 22 for Round 1 needs to go back and do some editing.

Scrag"TheGoodOil"City has said Bramble is better on the wing. And who are we to gainsay him?

Everybody who has posted their starting 22 for Round 1 needs to go back and do some editing.
Many Hawks fans saying he is better as a winger, where his skills shine more. Didn't defend very well, and wasn't as effective with his ability down back, when he played there. Not sure where small lock down defender came from.

During his hot patch where he averaged over 20 possessions in the VFL, he was playing in the midfield I am pretty sure.

The fact we have loaded up on players capable of playing wing this off-season, shows the club didn't have much faith in our existing outside game.

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind the intrusion.

Bramble is a bit of an odd one - looked fantastic when we first picked him up, he was seriously difficult to catch and had plenty of agility.

Got injured in 2022 (I think) and just seemed to lose that top end speed a bit.

Whenever he came up to AFL level, he really lacked composure by foot and would consistently make poor decisions or execute poorly - but when he went down to the VFL, he always looked a hell of a lot better playing more midfield/wing than halfback/small defender (still had more turnovers than you'd like though).

His main weapon is running - he's still reasonably quick and has a good stamina base. But you'd hope he is more effective with you guys than he was with us last year. Mitchell gave him plenty of chances to lock in his spot, but the fact that we decided to go to the draft rather than keep him is fairly telling.

Still, I hope he does well and maybe you'll find a role on the team which maximises his positives and minimises the negatives.

Bramble is a bit of an odd one - looked fantastic when we first picked him up, he was seriously difficult to catch and had plenty of agility.

Whenever he came up to AFL level, he really lacked composure by foot and would consistently make poor decisions or execute poorly - but when he went down to the VFL, he always looked a hell of a lot better playing more midfield/wing than halfback/small defender (still had more turnovers than you'd like though).

His main weapon is running - he's still reasonably quick and has a good stamina base. But you'd hope he is more effective with you guys than he was with us last year. Mitchell gave him plenty of chances to lock in his spot, but the fact that we decided to go to the draft rather than keep him is fairly telling.

Still, I hope he does well and maybe you'll find a role on the team which maximises his positives and minimises the negatives.
Getting TOB vibes… 😏

There will be anywhere from 12-20+ new players on the list by the time the 2027 season rolls about.

I understand the positivity that a thought experiment of a post like yours brings, but it seems to ignore the fact that the list is never in stasis.

Without even projecting the success or otherwise of the latest recruits into the future. I think there are 4 and as many as 6 players from your projected starting 22 that are long odds to be on the list in 2027.

The likelihood of the team looking anything like you have it is somewhere around the Zero.

Predicting the list at that time wasn’t the point of the post - it was that we have prepared a list that at the moment has longevity and that is a good thing.

I am fully aware of the likely turnover of players that occurs every year. Being condescending might make you feel good but it is also the reason why people don’t bother posting here.

Thanks for the info. We've had quite a few players like that ourselves. Stars in the VFL, but don't quite cut it at senior level.

And yes, most of them are no longer on the list.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for Bramble. Sometimes a change of club and environment can do the trick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back