Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Come now, we have far more experience than most clubs in managing delicate situations with players. Stringer, Dahlhaus, Roughead, Hunter, Dunkley, Cordy. We’ll be like a well oiled machine with Smith.

Whilst you mention Hunter he seems to be carving out another solid season in a top 5 side

The issues he had have they been sorted?
How has Melbourne managed him?

What happened there ?

Anyone with half a brain would have given Cleary an extended crack realising that Duryea is cooked.
Can't run out a game at senior level yet.
Needs another pre-season. Given our contract for him, he's clearly rated by the club

As infuriating as he is, unless its overs in terms of a trade, Bailey Smith can have another year with a new coach in 2024.

Im not having another Stringer 2017 situation.

we need to hold firm and demand a high first rounder for Smith, entering his prime with runs on the board, not a great year but that happens.

my issue with him is he is not courageous, he picks and chooses. watch 11.15 to go in the second qtr today as an example, and there are many others

He can’t kick therefore he is an average midfielder

Whilst you mention Hunter he seems to be carving out another solid season in a top 5 side

The issues he had have they been sorted?
How has Melbourne managed him?

What happened there ?
Heard from one of the players that he had been a massive problem for a while but he was a pretty consistent performer nonetheless and that obviously continues. Players were fed up with him.

Wasn’t any one thing - just consistently flouted club rules and tested the boundaries. Doubt it has fundamentally changed.

Smith for Geelong’s first and their future second & third) we give them Lions second rounder in return.

Basically valuing Smith as a first and a third, with us bringing Geelong’s future second into this draft.

Heard from one of the players that he had been a massive problem for a while but he was a pretty consistent performer nonetheless and that obviously continues. Players were fed up with him.

Wasn’t any one thing - just consistently flouted club rules and tested the boundaries. Doubt it has fundamentally changed.

So what does that say about Melbourne that his teammates are prepared to put up with him whilst our players were not ?

Expect it will be at least Bruce, Hannan, Duryea, Crozier, Roarke, McLean and O’Brien out. Probably a trade or two as well.

Would be cautious about cutting too much deeper. Don’t want to be bereft of depth.
TOB expected to stay on for a one year deal

They are worried about their defender depth

So who knows

TOB expected to stay on for a one year deal

They are worried about their defender depth

So who knows

Keath and Gardner should be stuck firmly in the vfl next year. Plus hopefully developing Croft there. Would be madness to keep ToB. Sadly it's what I expect

So what does that say about Melbourne that his teammates are prepared to put up with him whilst our players were not ?
Just depends. We put up with a lot from him for a long time and played in two grand finals with him before he burned his bridges.

He’ll probably only play a few more seasons. If they pinch a flag with him playing on a wing I think they’ll be happy.

And their coach is worse than Hunter anyway.

Keath and Gardner should be stuck firmly in the vfl next year. Plus hopefully developing Croft there. Would be madness to keep ToB. Sadly it's what I expect
There's whisper of Darcy becoming a full time defender next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could also be resulting from simply time. When someone is consistently pushing boundaries and trending against the ethos, it’s a death by a thousand cuts. Starts off annoying has the tendency to end up with a break. He’s been at the dees for one season. Probably retire before his behaviours become untenable. Or..perhaps this is the wake up call he needed and I hope for his health and well being if that’s the case he can stick with it.

There's whisper of Darcy becoming a full time defender next season

Makes sense, although I think he's obviously a fwd/ruck the fact is with Lobb around for multi years, the fwd line is full, if we want Darcy in the side it will probably have to be in defense.

Do we think West could play mid at AFL level?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the the two pre season games I saw this year, he played as a full time mid and didn't look up to it. Lacked awareness and looked a bit slow. Garcia looked better, but needs to get stronger as he was pushed off the ball too much.

we need to hold firm and demand a high first rounder for Smith, entering his prime with runs on the board, not a great year but that happens.

my issue with him is he is not courageous, he picks and chooses. watch 11.15 to go in the second qtr today as an example, and there are many others
I come in peace guys, honestly just trying to figure this whole thing out.

We currently have pick 8, and are expecting at minimum a second round pick in the Esava trade. Depending on next week's result it could be 7 or even 6.

The popular belief on our board is that pick + whatever we get for Sav would be enough for Baz, just curious to hear what you guys think.

We currently have pick 8, and are expecting at minimum a second round pick in the Esava trade. Depending on next week's result it could be 7 or even 6.

The popular belief on our board is that pick + whatever we get for Sav would be enough for Baz, just curious to hear what you guys think.
Sounds more than enough.

I would rather hold onto Smith

Under those terms I’d trade him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back