Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he was never going to fit into our current forward line with Lobb coming in. May as well try something different.
And he was never going to fit into our backline either,

He isn't good 1 on 1 defensively, got caught out of position frequently and doesn't have the ball winning ability to cover it up.

He was moved forward for a reason

Assuming Khamis goes, I don’t really think our KPP stocks are that bad.

Defenders
Jones
Keath
O’Donnell
Busslinger
Gardner

Rucks
English

Forwards
Naughton
Ugle-Hagan
Lobb
Darcy
Croft

Obviously we should draft a mature ruck, and maybe a beanpole at either end who is worth a crack, but I don’t see much wrong with that?

Very thin at the back - Keath isn't AFL level anymore, and I've never thought Gardner was (he has improved, but from a pretty low base imo). Jones doesn't have much longer left so in terms of viable future KPDs we're looking at JOD (who looks like he'll be a steal and a great pickup, but it's early) and Buss (who we hope will develop well and is a high pick, but hasn't played one game at AFL level yet).

The ruck stocks are now wafer thin if English goes down, so shoring that up plus the defense is important. Forward line should be set though.

When Lobb was recruited it changed the dynamic.
Sweet was pushed back
Darcy is raw and has had injuries.But still pushed back.
Croft coming in . you would think now only as a defender.
So Buku is tried in the same position as Lobb.
He does well.A bit short for ruck.A good back up.
If he can find regular game time elsewhere he should go.
Then the 2 second rounders for Lobb.
Could have been 2 bullish or quick mid fielders
Lobb has a solid season
Team lacked cohesion,speed and numbers in midfield .
The Lobb trade reaped of a desperate coach putting own aspirations instead of team first. IMO
GOOD LUCK Jordan and Buku
And when Darcy overtakes all next year
And Croft surprises
We still lack those traded 2nd rounders.

Defenders
Jones
Keath
O’Donnell
Busslinger
Gardner

Rucks
English

Forwards
Naughton
Ugle-Hagan
Lobb
Darcy
Croft

Obviously we should draft a mature ruck, and maybe a beanpole at either end who is worth a crack, but I don’t see much wrong with that?

Main issue for me is a backline of O’Donnell, Busslinger and/or Gardner is a bit undersized. We still need some genuine size coming through down there to replace Jones and Keath.

And he was never going to fit into our backline either,

He isn't good 1 on 1 defensively, got caught out of position frequently and doesn't have the ball winning ability to cover it up.

He was moved forward for a reason
Not sure how many VFL games you have watched in previous years but he has played many good games in defensive, with intercept marking a feature. He first made the AFL team as a defender so they must have liked something. To me and many on here it was poor management that he was pigeon holed him into a forward this year when we were crying out for an interceptor.
I for one would have preferred to see Khamis grow into the position instead of others played.

Not sure how many VFL games you have watched in previous years but he has played many good games in defensive, with intercept marking a feature. He first made the AFL team as a defender so they must have liked something. To me and many on here it was poor management that he was pigeon holed him into a forward this year when we were crying out for an interceptor.
I for one would have preferred to see Khamis grow into the position instead of others played.
I've seen McComb/Schache/Hannan dominate VFL games for the last 3 years and do 0 at AFL level,

We need to start accepting the standard of the VFL now is poo ever since they merged it with the NEAFL.

Outside of 1 game he has been a liability down back as he can't cope with the quicker level.

Why do we all get so attached and upset over C grade footballers

Sweet was pushed back
Lobb has a solid season
The Lobb trade reaped of a desperate coach putting own aspirations instead of team first. IMO
And Croft surprises
Spot on ringa5, needed to punt on two kids, plan for the future. Lobb may still have some good years for us yet I was against the trade and the time and still are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sweet was pushed back
Lobb has a solid season
And Croft surprises
Sweet can't play forward so wasn't "pushed back", Darcy is clearly not ready physically for AFL football, Croft isn't on the list yet Buku has not done well at AFL level in Lobbs role in fact was completely out of his depth.

No one of note was picked from the pick we traded to Gallagher pick 6 later, Lobb was our 4th highest goal kicker this year.

You're argument is now let's back in untried unready kids which ended up costing us finals as playing Darcy over Lobb in Sydney was a big factor in us losing that game

Sorry we are up to 1 good game at AFL level down back
I've seen McComb/Schache/Hannan dominate VFL games for the last 3 years and do 0 at AFL level,

We need to start accepting the standard of the VFL now is poo ever since they merged it with the NEAFL.

Outside of 1 game he has been a liability down back as he can't cope with the quicker level.

There’s a way to make your argument without saying things that are blatantly wrong like he’s only ever been terrible as a defender and good as a forward.

There’s a way to make your argument without saying things that are blatantly wrong like he’s only ever been terrible as a defender and good as a forward.
What have I said that is blatantly wrong?

Your best argument is he had 1 solid game as a defender at AFL level Fritsch kicked 4 on him last year from the same bad positioning and lack of defensive awareness he struggled with when he let Eddie Betts running on fumes kick 5 against him in 2021

I don't think he is a good AFL level forward either I think he is in the same boat as a Schache/Hannan good VFL player inconsistent AFL level player who's best isn't good enough to justify worrying about him leaving

Reg Buku IMO - He should have stayed as a defender, he should have trained as a defender, he should have done pre seasons as a defender, he should have only be coached as a defender and developed as defender and he should have played in the VFL as a defender.

Then and only then if he did not make it as a defender (if that is the opinion of the club) he should have been cut or traded.

I think perhaps the frustration that people have is that Buku has spent the year playing forward and kicking goals at VFL level which, as you've noted, does not mean he would do the same at AFL level. It really hasn't done anything to develop his game.
He clearly has some tools that would translate to AFL level and we may not have fully developed or explored that potential.
For his development he could have played around the ball more to help develop his awareness and intensity or could have been given a chunk of time at half back to test his ability there.
He may not have made it in those roles but it would have given us a better idea of what he could become.

Defenders
Jones
Keath
O’Donnell
Busslinger
Gardner

Rucks
English

Forwards
Naughton
Ugle-Hagan
Lobb
Darcy
Croft

I don't even consider Keath & Gardner depth anymore.

They're both net negative in the team.

No idea why we extended Keath & how Gardner got a deal until 2026 is genuinely baffling.

You'd be better off playing short & having more run than having either of those 2 in the team.

Surely nobody can mount an argument to say Buku isn’t worth developing as a defender while we have Gards running around in our backline?!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
In what world are they comparable?

Buku never has been and never will be a KPP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back