Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we have 8 long-term KPP - one of these will not be in our best 22 long-term. Which will it be? All too good to be nkt best 22 options and therefore would need to be traded.

Busslinger
Khamis
O’Donnell
Croft
English
Darcy
Naughton
Ugle-Hagan

Well we have 8 long-term KPP - one of these will not be in our best 22 long-term. Which will it be? All too good to be nkt best 22 options and therefore would need to be traded.

Busslinger
Khamis
O’Donnell
Croft
English
Darcy
Naughton
Ugle-Hagan
Impossible speculation. Injury, illness, drop in form, slow down in development any of these things cab happen.

All this shows is our mids and wings need to develop

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Must sign Buss long term. Had another good game today. Really building nicely. I would say he is the next KPD in line to play now based off performance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Was really solid defensively took 11 marks and isn't a liability going the other way by foot. A must retain if we can probable 10 year KPD Defender

I'm not really sure this line of thinking is agreed upon by the majority of people that work at AFL clubs, or those that have handed out contracts to rucks consistently from different perpectives over the last few years.

I agree in the most literal sense that by virtue of the rules of the game leading to 80 stoppages per game or whatever that it's helpful to have someone tall to contest the ruck contest. But the value-add of being good at that and being below-average on that, on the proviso that that player is already 2+ metres tall, is overstated. The game is fundamentally different to when Gary Dempsey was running around. This is proven by the fact that the terminology of centreman, ruck-rover, rover etc. is different to what it is today and is no longer used. It makes no sense to make the distinction between roving and ruck-roving or whatever.

I would also argue that a skillful ruck, one good below their knees, or being a great user of the football, provided they meet the minimum standars of being tall and reasonably physical enough in the ruck that their opposition isn't getting 20 hitouts to advantage a game or whatever (which English meets, given that he's 30th of 46 players who consistently attended centre bounces last year in hitout win rate), is important. Outside of the stoppage, they are one of the 18 players out on the field, and can contribute to driving the ball forward, winning possession, like any other player can. I think it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. We can see visually e.g. how English pushed forward harder than Darcy to get inside 50 and convert three kicks inside 50 to three uncontested marks/marks on lead and three shots at goal. It was English's possession-winning ability by covering the ground that directly converted a inside 50 to a shot on goal, something that we obviously would want from every inside 50 but does not always happen.
Meek is absolutely torching English today.

List needs a cull of the filler. Keath (32), Lobb (31), Scott (29), Daniel (27) and Gardner (26) all playing VFL today with Bramble (26) and Baker (25) at a similar level.

I’m not against us giving older guys like Scott or delisted players like Baker/Poulter/Bramble/Gardner another chance but we need to be much quicker in moving them on. Carrying a bunch of dead weight as a result who won’t be in our next Premiership side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Busslinger
Khamis
O’Donnell
Croft
English
Darcy
Naughton
Ugle-Hagan
Probably Khamis too weak In 1 v 1 I would be trying Busslinger our season is done so work out who to keep and who to move on

List needs a cull of the filler. Keath (32), Lobb (31), Scott (29), Daniel (27) and Gardner (26) all playing VFL today with Bramble (26) and Baker (25) at a similar level.

I’m not against us giving older guys like Scott or delisted players like Baker/Poulter/Bramble/Gardner another chance but we need to be much quicker in moving them on. Carrying a bunch of dead weight as a result who won’t be in our next Premiership side
I’d immediately place a ban on recruiting other teams’ off cuts for the foreseeable future.

It pretty much never works.

Here’s our selection of fringe/delisted players since 2009 (all feel free to check if I’ve overlooked any!):

Lukas Markovic
Pat Vezspremi
Nathan Djerrkurra
Justin Sherman
Ed Barlow
Mark Austin
Nick Lower
Koby Stevens
Tom Young
Sam Darley
Joel Hamling
Shane Biggs
Jed Adcock
Travis Cloke
Josh Schache
Jackson Trengove
Billy Gowers
Hayden Crozier
Sam Lloyd
Mitch Hannan
Stefan Martin
Tim O’Brien
Ryan Gardner
Oskar Baker
James Harmes
Caleb Poulter
Lachlan Bramble
Nick Coffield

It’s not like we shouldn’t have taken a punt on any. Biggs and Hamling obviously played a part in the flag. Hannan and Martin helped get us to a GF.

But it’s a very low percentage option.

Last edited:
I’d immediately place a ban on recruiting other teams’ off cuts for the foreseeable future.

It pretty much never works.

Here’s our selection of fringe/delisted players since 2009 (all feel free to check if I’ve overlooked any!):

Lukas Markovic
Pat Vezspremi
Nathan Djerrkurra
Justin Sherman
Ed Barlow
Mark Austin
Nick Lower
Koby Stevens
Tom Young
Sam Darley
Joel Hamling
Shane Biggs
Jed Adcock
Travis Cloke
Josh Schache
Jackson Trengove
Billy Gowers
Hayden Crozier
Sam Lloyd
Mitch Hannan
Stefan Martin
Tim O’Brien
Ryan Gardner
Oskar Baker
Caleb Poulter
Lachlan Bramble
Nick Coffield

It’s not like we shouldn’t have taken a punt on any. Biggs and Hamling obviously played a part in the flag. Hannan and Martin helped get us to a GF.

It’s a very low percentage option.
Of those the only ones I'd give a star to are Hamling, Biggs, Martin and Crozier.
Stevens, Gowers, Lloyd and Hannan were serviceable and it could be argued Gardner belongs here aswell.
Jury is still out on the newest four.
I think the biggest issue with that list is we brought them in too late (Adcock, Cloke and Martin) or kept them on a year too long (Gowers, Crozier, Lloyd and Gardner).

Could probably add Duryea to the list and he'd have to be a success.

Of those the only ones I'd give a star to are Hamling, Biggs, Martin and Crozier.
Stevens, Gowers, Lloyd and Hannan were serviceable and it could be argued Gardner belongs here aswell.
Jury is still out on the newest four.
I think the biggest issue with that list is we brought them in too late (Adcock, Cloke and Martin) or kept them on a year too long (Gowers, Crozier, Lloyd and Gardner).

Could probably add Duryea to the list and he'd have to be a success.
Duryea was a maybe, but he was a dual premiership player who was getting a game in a finals side at Hawthorn at the time.

I’d simply err on the side of not recruiting them rather than focusing on cutting them a year earlier, though we certainly should give players of this calibre short-term deals.

There might be a time and a place, ie you’re challenging for a flag and need depth in one position or maybe ruckmen.

Generally not though. And we’ve had far more luck with untried state league players. I don’t think clubs generally cut players who are up to it.

Duryea was a maybe, but he was a dual premiership player who was getting a game in a finals side at Hawthorn at the time.

I’d simply err on the side of not recruiting them rather than focusing on cutting them a year earlier, though we certainly should give players of this calibre short-term deals.

There might be a time and a place, ie you’re challenging for a flag and need depth in one position or maybe ruckmen.

Generally not though. And we’ve had far more luck with untried state league players. I don’t think clubs generally cut players who are up to it.
The way I'd rule on it would be to fill gaps and add the glue to the list for example pick up your Biggs, Harmes and Duryea.
Guys that have been forced out because of younger more "talented" guys taking their place at another club but still add grunt/experience/versatility/standard, things you need in your bottom 6 when plugging holes.

Not guys that "could be anything" or have huge differences week to week between best and worst like O'Brien, Schache and Hannan.

yeh i know that...
what my point is and its the sanders pick swap, did we give up far too much especially what we have picked up in recent years with those picks we had (naughton, english, weightman) who contribute a lot to the team

Brings a tear to the eye. Why did we include the 2024 first rounder in? What possessed us? JHC

Can only hope we have a clean out and get a first rounder or two back.

I'm sick of being hammered in the ruck. Yes English offers a fair bit as a forward, but we need a ruck, so if West Coast come knocking and a high R1 is on offer, see ya.
English is a free agent so other clubs won’t be giving us a thing.

That being said, our first pick is shaping up to be a possible top 5 selection so we’d get a high R1 anyway.

You might be right, but I'm sure they get plenty of um, incentives, to go there. Doubt all this 'get me home' stuff is as innocent and as pure as it seems.

Try commission on land in armstrong creek for attending open days, then your getting close to why they manage their salary cap, been going on for years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back