List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Tiger fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

tugga you may like to sticky or merge this post, move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread.

I probably think differently to most here regarding player retention these days, I reckon it will depend on how we perform this year. If we completely struggle like many so called experts suggest, then losing someone like Baker wouldn't surprise me. Highly sort after and would give us a decent return.
However, if we make the 8 and are in contention again then losing Baker would sting more. As I've said previously, he is 26 and his next contract will be a long-term deal. He is holding out for that security.

It is what it is and I'm not concerned, would love if he stays but if he leaves then we move on.
I think alot depends on his ability to become a bona fide mid this year also.

At this stage, he's a small utility, a very good HB, ok forward and a pinch hitting mid.

If he can become a very good mid, his value goes through the roof IMO.

Meh. Our drafting has been average overall at best since he took over. He's had three stand out picks since he took over in 2016 in Bolton, Balta and Baker and our WA scout would've had a fair bit to do with Bolton and Baker. Gibcus looks promising but anyone here could've picked him. Jurys out on the remaining 2021 fab 5 and the 2022 lot. Ross and Graham pass marks.
Well considering his first top 10 pick wasn't until Gibcus in 21 it hasn't exactly been am easy ride.
At the mercy of other clubs.
Price you pay for success and designed too equal things out although these academy picks are a joke.
Class of 21 are going along nicely with a couple of gems in Campbell & Maculiffe by the looks of it.

I dunno. From my limited knowledge, domestic violence is often learned behaviour from a rough upbringing, so maybe he was to spend some time in a loving family they might be able to teach him some better values.

North is full of kids, so it's a bit harder for them.
Dimma and family used to have players stay with them. Rioli & Stack . Xavier Clarke too I think.

Who is at the Roos now.

Marlion Pickett got a spare bedroom?

Well considering his first top 10 pick wasn't until Gibcus in 21 it hasn't exactly been am easy ride.
At the mercy of other clubs.
Price you pay for success and designed too equal things out although these academy picks are a joke.
Class of 21 are going along nicely with a couple of gems in Campbell & Maculiffe by the looks of it.
It’s difficult to rate recruitment unless they have been in the job for 10 years or so or even beyond imo

I never really particularly rated Jackson at the time but his fingerprints are all over our flag winning sides with a decent handful of future afl hall of fame inductees and club legends

Until you can look at someone’s legacy as a whole it’s very difficult to make a call one way or the other

Could realistically be something like Baker + our first round pick, say 10, for a higher first rounder, say 3.

Or Baker + our 2024 & 2025 first round picks for Harley Davidson and maybe a later pick back to us.
I assume this is Harley Reid you’re talking about?

It’s difficult to rate recruitment unless they have been in the job for 10 years or so or even beyond imo

I never really particularly rated Jackson at the time but his fingerprints are all over our flag winning sides with a decent handful of future afl hall of fame inductees and club legends

Until you can look at someone’s legacy as a whole it’s very difficult to make a call one way or the other
Yep.
FJ & Co did well after the 04 disaster.
What really hurt us over the past 6yrs is the lack of F/S.
Imagine getting another Cotch or Dusty with pick 18.
Mathew Knights jr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Clarke is no loss.

Would like Baker to stay but at the right price but let's be real he is already well paid and he isn't worth 800K imo.
I’m on the fence with bakes value , not sure you ever pay a 173cm player mega bux as their impact is inherently limited. Bakes does however command a slight premium with his reputed tenacity and pro attitude that clubs would queue up for especially having been in a very successful environment . If I was the RFC I’d be tabling not much more than 700 and walking well away if rivals were prepared to offer like 900

I dunno. From my limited knowledge, domestic violence is often learned behaviour from a rough upbringing, so maybe he was to spend some time in a loving family they might be able to teach him some better values.

North is full of kids, so it's a bit harder for them.
We lost a bit of leadership last year and are currently in a transitional period in terms of proper leadership. Not to mention, we are a heavily criticised club in regards to the so called media experts. This might be the kick up the bum he needs, but I don't think our environment needs the distraction

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We lost a bit of leadership last year and are currently in a transitional period in terms of proper leadership. Not to mention, we are a heavily criticised club in regards to the so called media experts. This might be the kick up the bum he needs, but I don't think our environment needs the distraction

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really? I think we have a plethora of leaders at the club.

Looking over the list of available free agents this year that would be worth chasing, McCluggage & English would be the only ones I'd be chasing, I can't see us getting too involved in free agency. In fact looking at the list of players who are even coming out of contract this year, there isn't a lot that jumps out as being players that you go all out for. There are a few that if they asked for a trade you'd take, but nobody at the moment that you'd throw the farm at.

Hopefully that means that our trading last year that netted us a raft of draft picks, means we're either planning on taking a bunch of kids in the draft of looking at packaging up picks to get better quality picks and add more talented youth to our list. For me that is what I'd prefer to see happen.

As it stands we hold 6, 25, 26, 39, 43, 44, 62, 70, 74 & 80. Packaging up 39, 43 & 44 would net us a late R1 pick which would then see us with 4 picks inside 30(on 2023 ladder positions). That would be a great way to kick start the reshaping of the list in the manner that Yze wants after having this season to take a good look at what he currently has to work with. Keep in mind that we also have the likes of Baker(pre free agency) & Graham(RFA) who could also add another couple of picks to that haul if both were to leave at seasons end.

Looking over the list of available free agents this year that would be worth chasing, McCluggage & English would be the only ones I'd be chasing, I can't see us getting too involved in free agency. In fact looking at the list of players who are even coming out of contract this year, there isn't a lot that jumps out as being players that you go all out for. There are a few that if they asked for a trade you'd take, but nobody at the moment that you'd throw the farm at.

Hopefully that means that our trading last year that netted us a raft of draft picks, means we're either planning on taking a bunch of kids in the draft of looking at packaging up picks to get better quality picks and add more talented youth to our list. For me that is what I'd prefer to see happen.

As it stands we hold 6, 25, 26, 39, 43, 44, 62, 70, 74 & 80. Packaging up 39, 43 & 44 would net us a late R1 pick which would then see us with 4 picks inside 30(on 2023 ladder positions). That would be a great way to kick start the reshaping of the list in the manner that Yze wants after having this season to take a good look at what he currently has to work with. Keep in mind that we also have the likes of Baker(pre free agency) & Graham(RFA) who could also add another couple of picks to that haul if both were to leave at seasons end.
Unless an opposition club desperately needs points, no one is giving those picks for a late first

Forgot how extensive our draft picks are this year. Can’t wait to see what we do with them all!

Unless an opposition club desperately needs points, no one is giving those picks for a late first
Brisbane have Levi Ashcroft (rated top 5 currently) & Sam Marshall (rated top 25)
Adelaide have Tyler Welsh (rated top 5)
Suns have Leonardo Lombard (rated top 10) & Caleb Nancarrow (rated top 15)
Swans have Joe Harrison (rated top 10)
Carlton have Ben & Lucas Camporeale (both rated top 25)

So there are plenty of clubs that will require picks to bank points and we're in good position with our haul to be able to cash in.

Brisbane have Levi Ashcroft (rated top 5 currently) & Sam Marshall (rated top 25)

So there are plenty of clubs that will require picks to bank points and we're in good position with our haul to be able to cash in.
not to mention picks 25 & 26 could easily get us a pick in the teens. I would be looking for quality over quantity.

2 x 1st rounders minimum should be the goal, but 3 is not unrealistic.

Last edited:

Yes they do need points but the trading of 1st rounders really needs the club to double their points coming in to consider trading out the 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back