Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel sorry for Dea. Very hit n miss with his performances though. Thanks for your service.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think as a DFA he has a better chance of being picked-up and playing AFL than he does staying at Essendon. Redman, Gleeson and Ridley would all likely be chosen ahead of him.

He's been a great servant for Essendon at a time when we needed him, and by all accounts a great club-man. Hope he gets another chance somewhere

Amazing, according to most Essendon posters we already have the greatest ruckman of all time in Belly, Leuey was just a second rate back up. dickheads.
Amazing, Baggers is the greatest backman turned forward we' ve ever had, re-sign him, dickheads.
Amazing, Francis not ready yet, dickheads.
Amaze me and post something to the contrary.
For the last two years all I've read about is all these players who aren't ready yet, what a load of crap.
Amaze me and post something that resembles some knowledge of football.
I think I get it now. Is your username supposed to be ironic?

Surprised McClarty was delisted showed a lot of promise. An inbetweener McKernan type but I’d happily take a punt on his talent and with Leuy going I think he’d be an excellent foil for Draper.
Weird end to his writeup (2016, after being drafted) on the Pies' site, sheesh:
McLarty had only limited exposure at the national championships as he was coming back from injury and was underdone, but it's hard to find quality talls this year.

Delisting Goddard, Luenberger, Green and Dea along with Colyer traded, all serviceable, none of those names were improving from where they were at. Adding Shiel even at a premium, I'm very happy with the clubs approach to this off season.

They did exactly what I expected them to do and also pretty much made all the right moves in my opinion. Don't think that's ever happened before.

Goddard: Francis' last month locked the door on him.
Luenberger: signing him to a deal to be depth only works if he's available to play.
Green: Shot
Dea: undersized and slow and in a position we've got plenty in.
Baguley: Worsfold loves him and he still actually offers something.

The only one that was a toss up for me was Long but as soon as Colyer was traded I was expecting him to get a deal.

They did exactly what I expected them to do and also pretty much made all the right moves in my opinion. Don't think that's ever happened before.

Goddard: Francis' last month locked the door on him.
Luenberger: signing him to a deal to be depth only works if he's available to play.
Green: Shot
Dea: undersized and slow and in a position we've got plenty in.
Baguley: Worsfold loves him and he still actually offers something.

The only one that was a toss up for me was Long but as soon as Colyer was traded I was expecting him to get a deal.

It's pretty close to being exactly what I would have done down to throwing one last lifeline to Long but 6 weeks ago I would have had it a 100/1 chance. Main difference is that knowing that Tom Campbell is available I'd have been more open to Leuenberger retiring. I see a spot for Campbell for 3 to 4 years with the additional spots coming from other talls on the list.

I'm even pleasantly surprised with the contracts signed by Stewart and McKernan vs Brown and Hartley given that they reflect the respective standings of the players in my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone post the HS article from last night/today about wooshas take on our 2018 start?

https://outline.com/7mDwWS

Essendon coach John Worsfold says Bombers gunning for fast-start in 2019

JOHN Worsfold believes Essendon can explode out of the blocks next year after a deep dive into why they limped to a 2-6 start to the season.

The Dons have been handed a more favourable draw around Anzac Day after last year’s horror fixture, just one reason Worsfold is confident.

Last season the Dons played three games in 11 days from Anzac Day on, losing against Collingwood and the next three contests.

This year as revealed by the Herald Sun Essendon plays on Good Friday, plays Anzac Day after a six-day break, then has at least seven days until the next contest.

The Bombers surged late this year but could never really recover from a tardy start which meant another season went by without a winning final.

Worsfold, contracted until 2020, believes there are reasons rather than excuses for why the Dons took so long to catch fire before a 10-4 finish to the year.

Dylan Shiel will add to a midfield that should stack up with any onball brigade in the competition, but Worsfold says there were myriad reasons for the start.

“Absolutely you do. You weigh everything up. Number one thing last year we had (Cale) Hooker, (Joe) Daniher, (Dyson) Heppell, Devon Smith, (Jake) Stringer all in rehab up until Christmas and some of them well into January.

“I have made sure that’s not the case this year,’’ he said with a smile.

“So that is a stroke of good luck but also management.

“There is the Anzac Day fixture which was a real tough one for us last year, three games in 11 days.

“I have had a close look with everyone around the club about what were the possible factors that meant we started slowly and we believe we have addressed all the ones we can come up with.”

Essendon moved on senior assistant Mark Neeld by mid-May but also took time to work out how its forward line operated without the injured Daniher.

“At the start of the year we didn’t know exactly how we would use Stringer or Smith. We had an idea but it was finding our feet with that.

We had Paul Corrigan in charge of our forward line for the first time so he was getting a feel for how those guys were going to work together.

“So we have learnt a lot from all of that and we learnt a lot in that first eight or nine weeks.”

The Bombers will attempt to find another ruckman after Matthew Leuenberger retired despite a contract offer in front of him.

Sam Draper is an exciting kid and Shaun McKernan can pinch-hit in the ruck, but the Bombers are aware they need to find backup in a thin market.

Today they delisted Matt Dea but agreed to contracts for Mark Baguley and Michael Long’s son Jake.

Last edited:
Pretty sure we only have the two or three live picks given one will be used to upgrade McKernan.

We actually have 4 spots to fill after the addition of Shiel and the upgrade of McKernan. (6 outs - Godd, Dea, Merrett, Green, Colyer & Luey gone)

Definitely take at least 3 in the ND - then either 1 DFA, a 3rd rookie or a 4th ND pick.

I'm actually thinking Cory Gregson should be given a serious look as a DFA. Obviously terrible injury with the foot giving him grief over the last couple of years however if we could get that right he'd be a great prospect who would significantly add to our sml forward depth. Still only 22 years old and has shown ability to perform when fit. Just a big question about what our medical team think his chances are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back