Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyson is a weird one.

Probably necessary for 2019 but could be superseded pretty quickly.

Strange player who I think has just been forced out by a stronger more aggressive bunch.

Having said that there would be nothing wrong with having him on the list for 3-5 years.

Might end up something closer to what he was in his first few years at Melbourne when he was very good or he'd be genuinely good midfield depth.
He is a solid player and would improve our midfield for sure. If we don't have to give up to much to get him in, why not? We need to get Heppell out onto the wing.

Don't worry everyone, I've completed the BigFooty 18 team trade, and even completed the top 10 in the draft for everyone too:

Adelaide In: Stengle, 19
Out: M. McGovern

Brisbane In: Neale, L. McCarthy, 66
Out: 5, 44

Carlton In: M. McGovern, Fasolo (FA), 40
Out: 28, 29

Collingwood In: 15
Out: D. Moore, Fasolo (FA - no compo)

Essendon In: J. Martin, Setterfield
Out: 9, 2019 2nd

Fremantle In: Hogan, Conca, 44
Out: 6, Neale

Geelong In: Rohan, Dahlhaus (FA), 11
Out: T. Kelly, Horlin-Smith, L. McCarthy

GC In: Horlin-Smith, C. Ellis, Miles, 5, 9, 10, 22 (compo pick 3)
Out: J. Martin, May, Hall, K. Kolodjashnij, 19, 30, 33 Lynch (FA - Rd 1 compo)

GWS In: 6, 38, 61, 2019 1st (Hawks'), 2019 2nd (Ess)
Out: Shiel, Setterfield, Lobb

Haw In: Shiel
Out: 15, 2019 1st, Duryea (FA - no compo)

Melb In: May, Preuss, K. Kolodjashnij
Out: Hogan, Kent, Vandenberg

North In: Polec, Hall, 28, Gaff (FA)
Out: Preuss, R. Clarke, 11, 58

Port In: 4, 7, 13, 25, 31 Lycett (FA)
Out: Polec, Wingard, 10

Rich In: 20, 58, Lynch (FA)
Out: C. Ellis, Miles, Stengle, Conca, 38

St Kilda In: Hanneberry, Newman, Kent, 30, 33
Out: 4, 61

Sydney In: D. Moore, Vandenberg, R. Clarke, 25, 31, Duryea (FA)
Out: Hanneberry, Newman, 13

WCE In: Lobb, Kelly, (compo pick 22 Lycett)
Out: Gaff (FA - 1st round compo), Lycett (FA - end of 1st compo), 20, 24, 40 (so they on trade compo pick for Gaff and lose that pick 20)

WB In: Wingard (compo pick 21)
Out: 7, Dahlhaus (FA - end of 1st compo)

Draft top 10:

1) Carlton - Walsh
2) Gold Coast - Lukosius
3) Gold Coast - Rozee
4) Port Adelaide - Rankine
5) Gold Coast - B. King
6) GWS - Smith
7) Port Adelaide - M. King
(Sydney match bid for Blakey)
8) Adelaide - Hately
9) Gold Coast - Caldwell
10) Gold Coast - Clark

You're welcome.

Can use that same attitude with Setterfield regarding his injury issues, Is only 20 himself and our facilities might just help him, just look at Devon Smith.
Attitude is easier to fix than mortality. If we do get Setterfield I can see myself half expecting him to get injured every time he goes near the ball. Conversation about him shouldn't involve pick 8.

Don't worry everyone, I've completed the BigFooty 18 team trade, and even completed the top 10 in the draft for everyone too:

Out: Gaff (FA - 1st round compo), Lycett (FA - end of 1st compo), 20, 24, 40 (so they on trade compo pick for Gaff and lose that pick 20)

Draft top 10:

1) Carlton - Walsh
2) Gold Coast - Lukosius
3) Gold Coast - Rozee
5) Gold Coast - B. King
6) GWS - Smith
8) Adelaide - Hately
9) Gold Coast - Caldwell
10) Gold Coast - Clark

You're welcome.
Solid effort. I don't get why Preuss wants to go to Melbourne. That's bewildering.

Tyson averaged more clearances and CP than Langford despite playing a majority outside role for Melbourne whilst Langers was majority inside as you suggested. Parish averaged slightly more clearances but still had fewer CP per game. As far as Myers goes, this has really been the first season Myers has outperformed Tyson since he moved from GWS, a year which he was playing a role unsuited to him. Plus Dom is four years younger and hasn't had the injury issues Myers has had. Tyson averages 15 games/year and 19 for the past 5 years compared to Myers' 11 and 14 respectively.

People need to realise we're not talking about Tyson the player that's been forced to a wing due to Melbourne having Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Jones to play as the primary inside mids, we're talking the player that came to Melbourne that didn't have Clarry, Brayshaw and Viney was 19 at the time.
Id rather back langford and parish in before we give tyson a 350k - 400k contract. Yes we need depth thats what the draft is for. If we get setterfield and martin there is 2 more smooth movers that have almost elite footskils through the midfield.

Id rather back langford and parish in before we give tyson a 350k - 400k contract. Yes we need depth thats what the draft is for. If we get setterfield and martin there is 2 more smooth movers that have almost elite footskils through the midfield.
The numbers you speak of is barely anything. Tyson still has minimum 3 to 6 years left of quality AFL football left in him, plus would be in the starting centre square combination at a minimum next year, and given his level of performance over the stretch for Melbourne before this season, would be our best inside mid. Parish and Langers aren't as good at the contest, that much is certain.

The numbers you speak of is barely anything. Tyson still has minimum 3 to 6 years left of quality AFL football left in him, plus would be in the starting centre square combination at a minimum next year, and given his level of performance over the stretch for Melbourne before this season, would be our best inside mid. Parish and Langers aren't as good at the contest, that much is certain.
Time will tell. Just dont see him as the sort of bloke that would suit the red and black.

Time will tell. Just dont see him as the sort of bloke that would suit the red and black.

I share your sentiments that Tyson doesn't have the zing or Zang we want from a recruit but if we got him on the cheap I think we have to understand he'd definitely have a role to play in our midfield.

Role players are extremely important, it's what the Swans use to identify quite well and everyone would say how good is Rhys Shaw or ted Richards etc etc.

Tysons role just needs to be defined of get ball, distribute ball to dangerous link up players.

Both don’t win that in and under contested ball like Tyson would Parish and Langford are more outside receiver types

Tyson averaged more clearances and CP than Langford despite playing a majority outside role for Melbourne whilst Langers was majority inside as you suggested. Parish averaged slightly more clearances but still had fewer CP per game. As far as Myers goes, this has really been the first season Myers has outperformed Tyson since he moved from GWS, a year which he was playing a role unsuited to him. Plus Dom is four years younger and hasn't had the injury issues Myers has had. Tyson averages 15 games/year and 19 for the past 5 years compared to Myers' 11 and 14 respectively.

People need to realise we're not talking about Tyson the player that's been forced to a wing due to Melbourne having Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Jones to play as the primary inside mids, we're talking the player that came to Melbourne that didn't have Clarry, Brayshaw and Viney was 19 at the time.
Completely agree with you. The bottom part is the main thing. His current performance is because he is playing out of position.

We really don’t have many pure inside mids. Myers is not reliable. Langford is still learning the craft and started his career in the forward line. Parish also learning the craft and not big or ready enough to pick up the load on his own. A player like Parish is good to have as the 3rd-4th mid, but shouldn’t be our main source on the inside.

A cheap Tyson is a no-brainer for us. He’ll be more than depth.

Draft top 10:

1) Carlton - Walsh
2) Gold Coast - Lukosius
3) Gold Coast - Rozee
5) Gold Coast - B. King
6) GWS - Smith
8) Adelaide - Hately
9) Gold Coast - Caldwell
10) Gold Coast - Clark

You're welcome.
99/100. Name is Hannebery NOT Hanneberry.

We lose Myers or Langford to injury we’re going to lack both size and inside clearance. Tyson will help with badly needed depth for the latter but we still need a bigger body inside to make space for smaller guys like Merrett.

Setterfield I guess is that player eventually. Clarke is not the answer for some time if ever.

Can use that same attitude with Setterfield regarding his injury issues, Is only 20 himself and our facilities might just help him, just look at Devon Smith.
I get your probably invested seeing you rated him in his draft year and he has all the talent you would need - but comparing Setterfields issues to SPP and Smith is futile.

Setterfield is coming off essentially 4 years of serious or constant wall to wall injuries.

In u16s he had a range of foot/leg issues and his only clear run injury free was ironically in his draft year where he ended up being rated highly. Since being drafted he has played 2 games cause of injuries and most recently an ACL.

That is 4 years of injuries at least indicating his body struggles to keep up with elite football. He might yet make it, and I am interested obviously in having him - but i am not investing the farm for a guy who is yet to prove he can stay on the park for more than 4 minths at a time.

Devon didnt play partly because of a groin issue, but mostly because he was pushed out of a loaded midfield. Nothing like Setterfields problems.

I would happily hand over pick 31 for Dom Tyson - someone who actually is like Devon in that he has been pushed out of a loaded midfield but has shown real talent when given extended time there.

Ok so GC say they want two first round picks for Martin, how do we do that?

Pick 8 and 31 for Settlefield and Pick 13
THEN
Pick 13 and 2019 1st for Martin
Did GC say that, or did some random douche on Twitter say that?

Ok so GC say they want two first round picks for Martin, how do we do that?

Pick 8 and 31 for Settlefield and Pick 13
THEN
Pick 13 and 2019 1st for Martin

I doubt Dodoro will be giving up two first rounders for Martin (no matter how it is sugarcoated).

Attitude is easier to fix than mortality. If we do get Setterfield I can see myself half expecting him to get injured every time he goes near the ball. Conversation about him shouldn't involve pick 8.
"We shouldn't use pick 8 on him" is a conversation about him and pick 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back