Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Constable is probably worth a pick over 40/50, Cats don't seem to rate him at all, we could get both he and Caldwell.

This is a very Essendon move, filling up on more 'depth' but not getting any top level talent for the position. We don't need more Hibberds/Cutlers on our list who are fringe 22/depth only and don't actually improve the 22 we put out each week.

I really like Constable but there is no point recruiting a 'big' midfielder if they don't materially improve our team. I don't think pushing one of McGrath/Shiel/Parish/Merrett out of centre bounces to play Constable is a good option.

Jye Caldwell is literally the same height/weight as every other Essendon mid and he is a speculative pick based on draft pedigree, hard pass if he's a first round pick IMO.

Jye Caldwell is literally the same height/weight as every other Essendon mid and he is a speculative pick based on draft pedigree, hard pass if he's a first round pick IMO.

I'm not sure you know what literally means, because he literally is not the same height.

We don't need more Hibberds/Cutlers on our list who are fringe 22/depth only and don't actually improve the 22 we put out each week.

Cutler actually would have been clear best-22 on the wing if he was playing at the standard he had done at Brisbane. The problem is he's gotten much worse than he was.

fu** if we get Caldwell we have gone full Essington

Wish we went after Constable and Witho
Not sure what the big deal is tbh? Getting Caldwell doesn't stop us from getting other players. We're going to have a lot of capital to play with.

People want to draft Will Phillips but they don't want to trade for Caldwell 🥴

Not sure what the big deal is tbh? Getting Caldwell doesn't stop us from getting other players. We're going to have a lot of capital to play with.

Yep, I really don't get the talk against Caldwell (except for those that have seen him extensively and don't rate him).

With the amount of spots we have to fill and his age, surely it's a classic case of....

I don't want Phillips either just looking at size and list profile

Cutler actually would have been clear best-22 on the wing if he was playing at the standard he had done at Brisbane. The problem is he's gotten much worse than he was.
He had that great game in like round 2, everyone was going YES bargain!!, then he had that calf injury and * knows what happened. Hoping he turns up in better form for 2021.

They have two needs, an actual ruckman (not saying English isn't good, I'm saying he's a 200 cm wing) and a key defender. Bevo has never shown the desire to get the former so they'll chase the latter. It could be a future first (no way do they trade for a current one) or it could be the second from Fantasia and a future second or something in that vein.

Nah. Hurley is still a very good key defender and is the perfect choice for 2-3 years alongside Keath. The change will be significant but not worth more.
They have about 2k points, and need 2.4k to match a pick 1 bid on JUH. If they're trading anyone in it'll be for future picks, but most clubs would prefer not to part with those.

He had that great game in like round 2, everyone was going YES bargain!!, then he had that calf injury and fu** knows what happened. Hoping he turns up in better form for 2021.
I feel like from slumps this year, all over the league, should be taken with a grain of salt.

No full team contact training and reserve matches being essentially glorified circle work would increase the chances of being underdone once you broke through to AFL level. If you had an injury like a calf it would be incredibly hard to get up to speed at senior level without playing your way into form, which can make you look BOG average.

Add to that we are not a very good team currently, and senior players who had bwen here 10 years were unsure of the game plan, i would absolutely give him next year before i form a full judgement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FYI i keep seeing moneyball quotes in reference to getting cheaper players but moneyball was really about getting undervalued players who were able to perform the task of getting onto first base, wasn't it? I mean they tried to convert a short stop to field at 1st base, they didnt care that he couldn't field in that position, they just cared about his batting.

If it was applied to AFL that might be the same as recruiting undervalued players who can win the contested ball and gain ground. Disposal efficiency, running ability would not matter.

In regards to Caldwell I hope we don't sell the farm to get him but to pry people out of a club these days you need to pay the $$$ but if GWS are expecting first round compo (well I hate saying this) would the PSD be an option or would clubs like North, Crows, Hawks, Swans, Suns etc grab him

Obviously It’s a different game where you perform multiple roles within seconds of each other unlike baseball which is linear, hitting/pitching/fielding with only the pitcher capable of multiple roles in one play.

AFL version would be player performs unique function on top of minimum standards in running/agility.

I'm a bit of a fence sitter. I'm very much Moneyball so it depends what we have to give up for him

I think the hesitation comes from his age and his one dimensional football. Forwards need multiple tricks these days
I get that, but we're nowhere near the window at all. All we need him to do is lead and mark and attract attention in doing so. Unless that doesn't fit the new order/game plan, I think he'd be a decent pick up.

I'm asking you since you suggested the trade. He's contracted, highly thought of given they took him in the first round, and they just spent the last 10 months or so rehabbing him.

Carlton still have a weakness on the inside which is his biggest strength according to most that have seen him play. I'd be gobsmacked if he weren't at Carlton next year.
I think Fin ice Smuggler's point is; yeah but now they want Saad, so they might want to trade, because sometimes people change their minds.

I'm not sure you know what literally means, because he literally is not the same height.

Caldwell: 183
Shiel: 182
Parish: 181
Merrett: 180
McGrath: 178

P.S. Valid informal use of the word literally is to emphasize a point without it necessarily being literal in the proper sense, but thanks for the attempted grammar lesson on an internet forum. Your English teacher would be so proud.

And 'if he had played at the standard he had done at Brisbane?' did you draw that from his 3 game sample size in 2019?

Your English teacher would be so proud.

Thanks, I'll pass it on if I ever see him. I feel we've both grown from this discussion.

And 'if he had played at the standard he had done at Brisbane?' did you draw that from his 3 game sample size in 2019?

2018 was the last full season he played, I believe he had some injury concerns in 2019 plus generally got pushed out of the Brisbane side with McCluggage really improving.

So no, not just from the 2019 season. Though even replicating 2019 form would have been fine.

Someone should be coming for Patrick Ambrose this off season, I’d dearly love him to stay but you’d understand him going. He could go to Adelaide and be the All Australian full back next year. I’m not even exaggerating.

I’d say our net position will be something like:

out. Daniher, Fantasia, saad.

in. Will Brodie, late first, early - mid second.

will also secure a couple of Townsend, cutler type recruits who won’t be able to play yet get an opportunity to revitalize their careers under the worst coach in the league.

Why the * are half youse so wound up and defensive here this time of year I really don't get it? I feel obliged to read it all for the sweet info and interesting discussion but can seriously laborious at times with the nitpicking and a bit on the ground hog day side.

Merrett and Dunkley are at different points in there careers and play quiet different roles and are different sizes. Comparison seems futile.

It's a massive yes for Dunkley from me. He's could be a gun and perfect age. A big part of our future if we can snare him. No issue with sending them Hurley and something like 10-15 or next years first which will hopefully 8-10 if we get the post season right and get out s**t together.

The other blokes mentioned im pretty much meh. Caldwell could be ok if not too expensive. Rutten and Caracella did ok at Tigers I have faith they will pick the right guys to play the roles required.

Someone should be coming for Patrick Ambrose this off season, I’d dearly love him to stay but you’d understand him going. He could go to Adelaide and be the All Australian full back next year. I’m not even exaggerating.
Agree in a sense but I'd be desperate to keep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back