Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows. But we didn't know this time last year either.

All our required players are signed & I think Levi will sign too.

Sit back and enjoy.

Who knows. But we didn't know this time last year either.

All our required players are signed & I think Levi will sign too.

Sit back and enjoy.

So we have any big names coming out of contract for next year ??? the RFA will correspond to the 2008 draft. Have we got Yarran signed up ???

Guess one positive to having some pretty crappy recruiting years is we don't have to worry about FA's :drunk::cry:

So we have any big names coming out of contract for next year ??? the RFA will correspond to the 2008 draft. Have we got Yarran signed up ???

Guess one positive to having some pretty crappy recruiting years is we don't have to worry about FA's :drunk::cry:

Yazz is signed and isn't a FA until 2016.

Yazz is signed and isn't a FA until 2016.

I reckon we should make a play for Mitch Hallahan at the end of the season. It looked like he was cementing a spot in the Hawks best 22 and i actually believe he should be. Based on that I think we should go after him because we do need another good midfielder to support Gibbs, Murphy, Graham, Cripps, Menzel, Thomas etc. He will be able to play Rd 1 and contribute from the get go. What will it cost us ? Thats the real question because no doubt we will be into him IMO. He fits the age bracket we are after as well. (22yo i think). Just imagine Hallahan, Cripps, Gibbs and Murphy doing the grunt work. Not a bad midfield that would be.

But where do we have surplus + quality to gain something in return ??? Hampson was surplus in the Ruck (and the RFC considered him quality roflmfao). But what do we have now ???

Probably pacey wingmen like Kane Lucas would be have some interest, he is probably only worth a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder, but that could be on traded on, like the Hampson for Doc deal last year.

Depending on how successful Kruezer's return is, Warnock would also possibly be on the trade table ..

Probably pacey wingmen like Kane Lucas would be have some interest, he is probably only worth a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder, but that could be on traded on, like the Hampson for Doc deal last year.

Depending on how successful Kruezer's return is, Warnock would also possibly be on the trade table ..

Agree both are probably seen as surplus, but I doubt the quality that we would get for either.

Agree both are probably seen as surplus, but I doubt the quality that we would get for either.
Yeah i get the feeling that hawthorn will want our second round pick for him because Lucas can't kick so thay won't be interested because "if you can't kick then you can't play" according to AL Clarkson and Mcevoy is better than Warnock and He's been in and out of their side this year. So having thought about it since my original post I would give up our second rounder and maybe jeff garlett for hallahan and their third round pick in return. Then use our pick 6 to get La Verde/ Mckenzie

Hallahan is certainly a good player, and last year I would have been all for him - I dont think he'd be at the top of our wish list this year.

Hallahan is certainly a good player, and last year I would have been all for him - I dont think he'd be at the top of our wish list this year.

Granted but realistically lets not kid ourselves in thinking that we will seriously pull off a big trade for a boyd or a mitchell or a gaff. It will not happen. Lets learn from our rivals' recruiting approaches, especially Hawthorn and Sydney who have remained ahead of the pack by recruiting good solid competitive players with sufficient skills who will contribute on a weekly basis (guys like burgoyne, gunstan, mcglyn, kennedy. These guys were not big names at the time but we would all take them in a heartbeat now). This is smart recruiting and it is imperative that we do it. Those big trades is the old school carlton mindset. Its outdated, or actually it was always the wrong approach in all honesty.

Granted but realistically lets not kid ourselves in thinking that we will seriously pull off a big trade for a boyd or a mitchell or a gaff. It will not happen. Lets learn from our rivals' recruiting approaches, especially Hawthorn and Sydney who have remained ahead of the pack by recruiting good solid competitive players with sufficient skills who will contribute on a weekly basis (guys like burgoyne, gunstan, mcglyn, kennedy. These guys were not big names at the time but we would all take them in a heartbeat now). This is smart recruiting and it is imperative that we do it. Those big trades is the old school carlton mindset. Its outdated, or actually it was always the wrong approach in all honesty.
Not sure you've used the right examples there crippa!
Lake, Gunston, McEvoy, Burgoyne are all BIG name trades. Hawthorn's trading strategy would be a great one to replicate - trust your own internal system to develop youngsters and trade hard for the gaps in your list.
The Swan's have traded for Buddy and Tippett in the last few years. Both big names.

Im not suggesting we go for big fish as such...more suggesting that his role isnt something we desperately need anymore - particularly after our drafting over the last 2 years, and how those players seem to be coming along.

I've not watched too much of Box Hill (or the Hawks), but what I have seen of hallahan is a lot of inside grunt work (and a good goal sense when forward). I wouldnt have him ahead of Bell, Cripps, Graham, Holman who all have plenty more development in them.

Not sure you've used the right examples there crippa!
Lake, Gunston, McEvoy, Burgoyne are all BIG name trades. Hawthorn's trading strategy would be a great one to replicate - trust your own internal system to develop youngsters and trade hard for the gaps in your list.
The Swan's have traded for Buddy and Tippett in the last few years. Both big names.

No true. BUT Sydney have done those big trades but they WON A PREMIERSHIP BY RECRUITING PLAYERS LIKE Mcglyn, Kennedy and Shaw and then drafted well ON TOP OF THAT. Sydney have a better list with the additions of Buddy and Tippet but it may not win them a premiership. Hawthorn picked up Gunstan when he had only played 15 odd games and the other players mentioned before which are not your classic Massive Trades we all talk about. They are said to be massive trades now because of their high level performance since the trade. The trades themselves were not a first round draft pick type trade which is what we would have to do to get boyd etc. Sydney and Hawthorn's approaches are the ones we should adopt.
I would definitely have Hallahan ahead of Bell. TBH this isn't a dig at Bell but he lacks awareness, slow with ball in hand, a ball butcher and lacks real footy naus. Hallahan has him covered in all thses areas so I still see a need for him. We do need outside line breakers however, but if we could get hallahan I would be very pleased.

No true. BUT Sydney have done those big trades but they WON A PREMIERSHIP BY RECRUITING PLAYERS LIKE Mcglyn, Kennedy and Shaw and then drafted well ON TOP OF THAT. Sydney have a better list with the additions of Buddy and Tippet but it may not win them a premiership. Hawthorn picked up Gunstan when he had only played 15 odd games and the other players mentioned before which are not your classic Massive Trades we all talk about. They are said to be massive trades now because of their high level performance since the trade. The trades themselves were not a first round draft pick type trade which is what we would have to do to get boyd etc. Sydney and Hawthorn's approaches are the ones we should adopt.
I would definitely have Hallahan ahead of Bell. TBH this isn't a dig at Bell but he lacks awareness, slow with ball in hand, a ball butcher and lacks real footy naus. Hallahan has him covered in all thses areas so I still see a need for him. We do need outside line breakers however, but if we could get hallahan I would be very pleased.
I disagree, but that's all good. :thumbsu:
We've actually had this very same conversation about three months ago. Even down to the Hallahan trade option. Its an interesting topic!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There have been opportunities for a couple mids at Hawthorn this year with Mitchell and Sewell having a fair time away from the game through injury and form, and Hallahan wasnt able to capitalise on this gametime and stay a constant best 22 player. I wouldnt say Hawthorns inside mids are their strong suit, so I wouldnt think the 2nd or 3rd backup for them would be an instant in to the Carlton squad.

`

Yes and no.

We may be able to get him at the end of next season but I highly doubt they'd trade him out now. Maybe if we offered them Casboult or Henderson they would but with Patton out, they need Boyd for the whole season now.

Happy for it to happen next season. This season should be all about young talent and possibly Jaksch

I'm thinking tonight didn't help our cause.

Tonight was always going to happen. We are fielding a team made up of many novices... Add Henderson, Walker, Kruezer, Buckley, Everitt and Thomas to the team and it won't be 100 points. Also Murphy playing a full game.
Port are clearly a top 6 side and we are currently in the 10-16 bracket.
We have shown over the past month or so that we are very competitive and we only need another 2-3 great players in our best 22 and we could beat the teams that we have come so close to lately.
Our players are tired and injuries have hurt us.
I am actually surprised we have been competitive as much as we have.
Add to it that Judd has missed most of the season.
Tonight wouldn't have hurt our chances. Trust me.

Possibly ??

Here's some news for you DV, he is DEFINITELY on the trade table, we do not want nor need him at the club any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back