Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
Here we go ,
I think we should be starting to plan our finals campaign now by having talks with Melbourne clubs that won't take part in finals this year about use of their facilities during the finals .
Namely Melb, ST Kilda, Western bulldogs and possibly Kangaroos .
Now I'm sure the Saints will tell us to Piss Off but the others could use the money .

We travel once every 2 weeks during the home and away games {change from normal this year }
during the finals we will be travelling every week depending on where we finish at the end of home\away.
Should we finish in 6 th or 7th we will fly every week like last year
5th or better we get a home final and then depending on results we could be flying soon after .

So to give ourselves the best chance of success what is the best thing we can change that can help
the team be in the best possible shape .
REDUCE the amount of flying
By doing that our players get more time to recover , get medical or physio sooner and get the sore body's help sooner rather than later .
It takes the boys 3 days to get over flying interstate and then one light training session before they get back on a plane heading back to Melbourne . We saw the results of the flying last year do we need to repeat the same mistake or improve
I know some will say the players won't like not sleeping in their own bed or they will miss family.
They are professionals and yes the wives and partners should be with them but major league baseballers,pro soccer players and cricketers plus other sports have longer away trips than us and they cope so there are my feelings

I think we will finish top 4 this year and based on that I don't see the advantage. We seem to be able to win away at the moment and we won an away final last year. If we win the first game as a top 4 team we have a week off and if we lose as top 4 we get a home game anyway.

If we don't make top 4 we won't make a grand final and I don't think changing a couple of flights is going to fix that.

I think we will finish top 4 this year and based on that I don't see the advantage. We seem to be able to win away at the moment and we won an away final last year. If we win the first game as a top 4 team we have a week off and if we lose as top 4 we get a home game anyway.

If we don't make top 4 we won't make a grand final and I don't think changing a couple of flights is going to fix that.

What Wig said...

The Gelong game took a lot out of the boys hence in the Adelaide game we had a good first quarter then fell away due to lack of energy for the 2nd and 3 quarters .
Our fighting spirit is what we traded on for the last quarter . If we had won that game and had to travel again to melb the wheels would have fallen off and the team would have been beaten because they had used everything they had where as if we had been able to recover in Melbourne then travelled we would have been fresher and been able to sustain the same run and carry we showed against Gelong.
That's why it makes a lot more sense to prepare NOW not later .IMO

No need.
The players wont want to be living in hotels for a week before their next game.
Think i heard the other week some players from other clubs take their pillows with them to try and help them sleep when they travel.

We are used to travelling.
No excuses.
Kee working hard and try and get that top 4 spot.

I'm sure St Kilda will help Ross Lyon win a premiership.

MMMMate WTF Waters is a freo boy born and bred and he has red and white running in his veins.
If we ask I'm sure he'll respond in the positive but we won't hear it for the red, black and white sock in his mouth

We're 10 rounds in...we should probably start to plan our finals campaign when we are actually assured of playing finals.

Have you studied the rest of out draw . We ain't anything like Essendon of last year ,we meet 2 top 8 teams in the run home .

Have you studied the rest of out draw . We ain't anything like Essendon of last year ,we meet 2 top 8 teams in the run home .

Absolutely, there's an excellent chance we'll make the finals, but it smacks of arrogance and would be distracting from our current focus to start making expansive plans about finals which are still a long way down the track.

One week at a time!

Haven't the kangaroos got new facilities . Wasn't there a major upgrade or relocation just at the start of this year, I could be wrong but I seem to remember a news story at the start of this preseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gelong game took a lot out of the boys hence in the Adelaide game we had a good first quarter then fell away due to lack of energy for the 2nd and 3 quarters .
Our fighting spirit is what we traded on for the last quarter . If we had won that game and had to travel again to melb the wheels would have fallen off and the team would have been beaten because they had used everything they had where as if we had been able to recover in Melbourne then travelled we would have been fresher and been able to sustain the same run and carry we showed against Gelong.
That's why it makes a lot more sense to prepare NOW not later .IMO

It was really only an issue travelling in successive weeks and being undermanned in the Adelaide game more than anything.
We'll never know what would have happened had we won that semi against Adelaide.
It's virtually impossible to get to a grand final from outside top four especially for interstate clubs.

Absolutely, there's an excellent chance we'll make the finals, but it smacks of arrogance and would be distracting from our current focus to start making expansive plans about finals which are still a long way down the track.

One week at a time!

RTB is the coach .
The 2 Steves are the money men and negotiators let them do the planning its what they are very good at .
When they have the job done they only need to tell the coach and players HAVE WE GOT A DEAL FOR YOU.

It was really only an issue travelling in successive weeks and being undermanned in the Adelaide game more than anything.
We'll never know what would have happened had we won that semi against Adelaide.
It's virtually impossible to get to a grand final from outside top four especially for interstate clubs.

Fred do you agree or disagree that travel was a big part in our finals campaign last year and the players had reduced time to recover and to freshen up for the Adelaide game .

Instead of flying from Melb to Perth we had stayed in Melb for a couple of days then gone to Adelaide the team would have been in better shape . The reserve\emergency players could have joined the boys in Adelaide and we improved our chances by at least 20%.

Less travel but more time living out of hotels.
Ask the players what they hate the most travel or living out of hotels.
Most say hotels they would rather be back home in their own bed.

So travel wouldnt of been a factor with your plan, i dont buy that excuse i still think it was more due to players missing/playing injured.
Instead the toll of living out of hotels would of become a factor.
The game is played 95% above the shoulders these days.
Aproach a game with the wrong mindset an you will get beaten.

Yep bad example saying they are far more advanced than our facilities but the person who made the comment about Norths facilities has no idea what they are talking about.
They are in the top 4 best facilities in the AFL now.

Here we go ,
I think we should be starting to plan our finals campaign now by having talks with Melbourne clubs that won't take part in finals this year about use of their facilities during the finals .
Namely Melb, ST Kilda, Western bulldogs and possibly Kangaroos .
Now I'm sure the Saints will tell us to Piss Off but the others could use the money .

We travel once every 2 weeks during the home and away games {change from normal this year }
during the finals we will be travelling every week depending on where we finish at the end of home\away.
Should we finish in 6 th or 7th we will fly every week like last year
5th or better we get a home final and then depending on results we could be flying soon after .

So to give ourselves the best chance of success what is the best thing we can change that can help
the team be in the best possible shape .
REDUCE the amount of flying
By doing that our players get more time to recover , get medical or physio sooner and get the sore body's help sooner rather than later .
It takes the boys 3 days to get over flying interstate and then one light training session before they get back on a plane heading back to Melbourne . We saw the results of the flying last year do we need to repeat the same mistake or improve
I know some will say the players won't like not sleeping in their own bed or they will miss family.
They are professionals and yes the wives and partners should be with them but major league baseballers,pro soccer players and cricketers plus other sports have longer away trips than us and they cope so there are my feelings

3 days? That's because it's a long season, finals is completely different, we didn't lose that game because we had to fly two weeks in a row, we loss because we simply couldn't put them away (plus a crippled Pav and no McPharlin). You want us to start ringing clubs now, to ask them if we could use there facilities in September? Every club would tell us to piss off and fair enough too.

Exactly, they have families. Think of McPhee last year, he had to leave his young family in Perth every second week and his wife was really struggling. Your idea wont happen, it's as simple as that. We shouldn't be worries about flying, simply win. If we don't get a home final, that's our fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back