Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to PAUL AHERN the other day at Essendon Fields and i asked him how he is tracking and whether he would play some more midfield minutes this year.. he said Shawry has marked him down for a half back flank role this year. all his training so far is geared towards that position. i have to say that he is looking super super fit and has trimmed down heaps i think in an attempt to become more fleet of foot...

Spoke to PAUL AHERN the other day at Essendon Fields and i asked him how he is tracking and whether he would play some more midfield minutes this year.. he said Shawry has marked him down for a half back flank role this year. all his training so far is geared towards that position. i have to say that he is looking super super fit and has trimmed down heaps i think in an attempt to become more fleet of foot...
Hope he can step up. Seems to have the quality - just has to get on the field with some consistency. Would be a bonus.

Good
More Ahern
Less Macmillan

B: Marley Tarrant Daw
HB: Atley Walker/Durdin Ahern
I: Pittard

This will test him defensively, but then, if we're thinking long term development, this will be a good opportunity to quickly grow in the area that some have question marks on him.

Best possie is definitely the midfield.

Spoke to PAUL AHERN the other day at Essendon Fields and i asked him how he is tracking and whether he would play some more midfield minutes this year.. he said Shawry has marked him down for a half back flank role this year.

Insert cat amongst some pigeons.

Good
More Ahern
Less Macmillan

This is left field, even for you.

How can you bag MacMillan about his physicality, and then promote Ahern as a replacement, and hope to maintain the slightest shred of credibility?

Pretty annoying that standards at the club have been so low that Paulie has been able to get away with being too chunky for two years. Good to see things seem to be turning around. The season will be the only way we'll know for sure though of course.

We're probably craving his foot skills so badly that we overlook the other stuff about Paul.

I hope he makes it, definitely has the raw talent, but does he have the mental application and ticker? The jury is still out.

Pretty annoying that standards at the club have been so low that Paulie has been able to get away with being too chunky for two years. Good to see things seem to be turning around. The season will be the only way we'll know for sure though of course.

Coming off two knee reco’s as a young bloke, I think the focus was on keeping him happy and well adjusted after living away at GWS. Not to let the pressure get to him, to enjoy life, do his rehab on his knee before he focused on getting fully match fit.
I get what you’re saying - but he’s an exceptional case.
Pressure on him now is appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're probably craving his foot skills so badly that we overlook the other stuff about Paul.

I hope he makes it, definitely has the raw talent, but does he have the mental application and ticker? The jury is still out.

It’s a big year for the boy. Out of contract at the end of the year (I think), so he needs to cement himself. Hopefully he’s able to get himself up to speed defensively because it’s his ticket into the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He lost about 30 kg over last pre season. It's one of the reasons he was easier to push off the ball last season.

He lost about 30 kg over last pre season. It's one of the reasons he was easier to push off the ball last season.

Just from looking at him last year from the previous year, it looked as though he'd lost some fat but not put on much muscle - so in that regard your assessment is correct...it certainly did look that way. He lost one of his strengths from the year before when playing inside...but he was a bit chubby.

Hopefully this year he puts the weight back on, but as muscle - which will not only make it harder for players to move him off the ball, but also give him better balance in those scenarios.

In saying that, sounds like he'll be playing off HB this year, so not sure if he'd been told to put on some weight (muscle) or lean up further to be a little more nimble...

Didn’t look to have the weight or the running capacity last year - a bit inbetween. In the long run, if they can get his fitness up to scratch, this will play more to his elite qualities.

U18s he wasn’t fast but very balanced. Would move in ways that wrong footed opponents and then sweep around them. The more distance he gets between himself and his last knee surgery the better, unless ofcourse there is long term issues and ongoing degeneration.

It wouldn't surprise me if he played all season and nailed down a spot in the side. It also wouldn't surprise me if he ended up delisted at the end of 2020.
I’d hope a ‘one year, last chance’ deal comes before a delisting, should he not nail down a spot this season.

The back flank thing makes sense in some ways, but I reckon it’s putting Paul even more on the back foot. Hopefully that motivates him. Makes me nervous though, because I want him to succeed. I do love when a club (particularly ours) takes a punt & it pays off.

Would like to know if the poster (apologies for forgetting who it was) that spoke to him had any sort of ‘feel’ for what Paul thought about playing there instead of mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back