Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox did a scorebar years ago

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 12.11.00 pm.png

Technology and limited resources meant they probably couldn't do rolling stats and match facts. but the concept of the scorebar was there

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
View attachment 611611

Technology and limited resources meant they probably couldn't do rolling stats and match facts. but the concept of the scorebar was there

"Sees scorebar."
"Sees score."
"Checks the name of user who posted the screenshot."
"Checks team they follow."
"Not surprised."

Awesome scoreline though.

Also, font is Fox Footy's best ever for me.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
One thing that always irritated me about that Fox scorebar was the fact the text for the away team was always more squished than the home team. They literally have a bar across the whole bottom of the screen but they couldn’t make sure the gap for the away team was a couple of mm wider to fit the name at the same proportions as the home team.

I’d say it had more to do with the fact they were limiting the info to fit inside the 4:3 aspect ratio, so after the scores and time are put in, there would be no room for anything else. From memory the clock used to disappear to be able to show interchanges.

That, and having continuously rolling stats in a game as fast paced as AFL with few breaks in play is completely unnecessary and would detract from watching the actual game.

Ooh that's a nasty screenshot

Nah.

Fox have had quite a number of different graphics styles through the years. There was the red one (most famous for Brendan Fevola's goal), the bar, an orange and blue one, the yellow and blue bar (see below), the red bar, the flags, and now the abbreviations boxes.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 6.59.20 pm.png

(see what I did there :p)

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Seven will begin their Footy coverage on Saturday Night with a two AFLW matches shown on the main channel.

Could we see a new graphics set to replicate their cricket graphics?

I have designed some AFLW cricket graphic versions.

Please Note: I know the stats are incorrect these are just as a reference for my concept)
1548801225382.png

Score
1548801259643.png

1548801287921.png

1548801320598.png

Seven will begin their Footy coverage on Saturday Night with a two AFLW matches shown on the main channel.

Please Note: I know the stats are incorrect these are just as a reference for my concept)
View attachment 612404
Score
View attachment 612405
View attachment 612406
View attachment 612407
This E. Kearney is a star! Dominating the entire stat board!
I don't think any player in history has kicked a goal for both teams in a match, let alone 42!

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 612404
Score
View attachment 612405
View attachment 612406
View attachment 612407
I'll eat my hat if the score is 53-all after just two minutes and 14 seconds of play lol

(seriously though) I don't mind it, although I'm not sure I'm a fan of spelling out "6 Goals 3 Behinds"

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I'll eat my hat if the score is 53-all after just two minutes and 14 seconds of play lol

(seriously though) I don't mind it, although I'm not sure I'm a fan of spelling out "6 Goals 3 Behinds"
I agree. It is not ideal for the goals-behinds spelling out however I tried it without the spelling it looked very odd and didn't work well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
7 still using old graphics for AFLW :mad: Is it really that hard?
State leagues were using old graphics so... The commentators on this game do the state leagues, therefore the whole production team must be from that too.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
State leagues were using old graphics so... The commentators on this game do the state leagues, therefore the whole production team must be from that too.
Yeah I did notice that. I was hopeful that was only because they’d kind of just forgotten and it was just state leagues - and they’d fix it up for this year. But apparently not.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
I just don't know why 7 did the Big Bash graphics the way they did. Make the actual score the prime focus. My attempt at trying to move stats around a bit. Personally I would be happy to see the batsmen and bowler stats to only appear periodically like they used to ten years ago but I know that ship seems to have sailed.

1549782529182.png

Last edited:

BanquoUtd

Debutant
Apr 10, 2014
Mellbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wigan Athletic
Looks like aflx going with computer generated signage projected on the ground. Potentially a bit of a trial of something for the regular season. Or simply just another bit of experimenting with AFLX.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Looks like aflx going with computer generated signage projected on the ground. Potentially a bit of a trial of something for the regular season. Or simply just another bit of experimenting with AFLX.
weird when it looks like you can see through the guernseys at times

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
They did it last year too. Don't stress, I cant see it coming into the main league anytime soon. Personally I don't like it but I do get why they do it.

BulldogsSquared

Draftee
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Umm do you mean the augmented reality sponsors logos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back