Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aCunningPlan

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like aflx going with computer generated signage projected on the ground. Potentially a bit of a trial of something for the regular season. Or simply just another bit of experimenting with AFLX.
A couple of reasons why they did that, the A-League is being played there tonight so it meant the ground staff didn't have to scrub off the logos first thing this morning, and the augmented reality signs along the boundary allowed kids to sit on the grass and not have their view blocked by a fence.

It's actually a really interesting concept. Hopefully going forward when soccer is played on ovals like docklands or Kardinia park they use the computer graphics instead of physical signs so people sitting in row one twenty metres from the pitch can still see.

harrythetiger

Summited Everest 30/9/17
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
weird when it looks like you can see through the guernseys at times
Only happened with the rampage, so I assume it was because they did some type of green screen thing and it wasn’t smart enough to distinguish a green jumper from green grass.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It's actually a really interesting concept. Hopefully going forward when soccer is played on ovals like docklands or Kardinia park they use the computer graphics instead of physical signs so people sitting in row one twenty metres from the pitch can still see.
The first A-League game at the SCG had it - not sure if it continuted.

TimothyJ23

All Australian
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Canterbury, CC Mariners, Man Utd
The first A-League game at the SCG had it - not sure if it continuted.
NRL games have been using augmented reality on-ground signage for a few years now. The only painted logo has been the NRL Premiership logo on halfway basically. They even forego that in seriously bad weather. The only exception is the Grand Final where most of the signage is painted on.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
NRL games have been using augmented reality on-ground signage for a few years now. The only painted logo has been the NRL Premiership logo on halfway basically. They even forego that in seriously bad weather. The only exception is the Grand Final where most of the signage is painted on.
And Origin.
The A-League has been using digital "fence" signage on oval grounds this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

akkaps

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Carlton
What was key for me in that video was that the CGI First and Down lines were used to enhance the viewers experience of the game. To assist them with what’s going on.

I can only think of an offside line in rugby and soccer where this would could be used in Australia, but this line would need to move with the player.

TY24

Mitch Marsh Enthusiast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Lakers. RBHRT
What was key for me in that video was that the CGI First and Down lines were used to enhance the viewers experience of the game. To assist them with what’s going on.

I can only think of an offside line in rugby and soccer where this would could be used in Australia, but this line would need to move with the player.
I have no issues with CG lines being used in a replay of an offside situation, but I'd rather not have it during live play

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
they should use this technology to show the protected zone around the player on the mark
Maybe one day the umpire can wear glasses/contacts where the GGI is added so they can see immediately when the player infringes. If it's contacts the players can have it too so there's no excuse coz they'll literally be looking at the line!

crow28

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thread starter Moderator #1,494
It is a massive improvement over their previous ones.

Also Fox has replaced the chevrons with the teams logos on their scorebug this year.

It annoys me that its not symmetrical. Would look better if the home team had the logo to the left of the name.

Andonis1997

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Dreamer
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Panionios, Sturt
It annoys me that its not symmetrical. Would look better if the home team had the logo to the left of the name.
That's the way they've always done it at Fox unfortunately.. Even with the pennant flags and the coloured verticle stripe they used to give each team.. But you're right, needs to be on the other side of the name and that would look shweeet.

crow28

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thread starter Moderator #1,496
That's the way they've always done it at Fox unfortunately.. Even with the pennant flags and the coloured verticle stripe they used to give each team.. But you're right, needs to be on the other side of the name and that would look shweeet.
It wasn’t so bad for AFL though because they don’t have the score centred between the team names, so it flowed fine having them both the same way.

SparkleNarkle

Watch Out for the Shaq Attack!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
DJRTP, REN, MIA, UTA
assuming this has been posted, but just stumbled across it. looks pretty cool, bit dated now though.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/14730223/AFL-Onair-Package
This is actually a really interesting find, it appears to be one of the early drafts for Seven's on-air package starting in 2012 (going by the 2011 ladder being used and the copyright date). It's fascinating how some concepts remained exactly the same and are still used today (such as the Port Adelaide vs Sydney Swans screens) while others were never featured (such as the 'match update' screen (which I've long though should be used on FTA and be more visible on Fox))

fancyscum

Lord Mayor of Swoop City
AFL Club
Adelaide
Top Bottom