Twilight Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

They are the 2nd and 3rd highest rating grand finals of the past 15 years.

2020 had 35% more viewers than 2019, 2021 was even bigger, and then it dropped by 30% again in 2022.

Not sure how a significant bump in viewers means it didn't work.
Considering both years victorians were stuck at home and not congregating together at homes or pubs watching might have had something to do with it.
Sometimes what’s right for the fans needs to come before the corporate dollar.

Nothing beats the red Sherrin flying around the G on a sunny late September Melbourne afternoon.
It's the epitome of world sport that hasn't been ruined.
Side note: why still use a red Sherrin? (apart from tradition)

75% of games are at night with a yellow Sherrin, which is easier to see. Just do what the WAFL does and use a yellow ball all the time.

Which I prefer.

But ratings are ratings. 2020 and 2021 rated the house down. It'll move eventually.
The NRL play their GF at night and ratings dropped heavily in 2022 compared to the previous two years. People underestimate the effect the lockdowns had on TV viewership. The AFL could have had day grand finals in 2020 and 2021 and they would have rated very highly because there was not much else going on.

Covid might've played a small part, but being on in the evening would've played a bigger part I suspect. We'll never fully know until it happens again.

Personally, the GABBA GF sucked. Waiting a whole day for the granny just didn't feel like a real GF day. And I'm in Perth! (2 hours behind)
A small part? Vic-the biggest market (I can't remember if anyone else was at the time) was stuck in a hard lock down.
Instead of watching it with 20 mates at a BBQ it was 20 TV's in different houses.
It could have been at 4am and it would have been the same result. It wasn't like people would rather go to the shops in the arvo and miss the game.

Hopefully never.

If you can't spare 3 hours on one Saturday arvo once a year then are you really a footy fan? Assuming you've no other important commitments.

F me, if people would rather go shopping or whatever instead of watching then so be it. Those who want to watch will watch.
Best time to go to shops because everyone's at home watching Grand Final

Where is this assumption coming from that if you're not watching the GF in the afternoon, you're out shopping?
You can be a keen football supporter and have other interests as well.
People actually do other things other than shop when the GF is being played during the day.
Many participate in a host of other other activities or sports that happen in the afternoon right through the AFL season.
They can do this because of the scheduling of games/ broadcasts during the season/finals that can readily allow them to follow a team as well as regularly participate in something else that they're passionate about too.
The GF played at night would absolutely suit these people and further enhance the rating numbers. I know this because i'm one of those who fits into this demographic!

Last edited:
2:30pm start is not consistent with modern life, particularly in NSW and QLD. It is a relic from a bye gone era that is not appropriate for the biggest game of the year. There is no good argument too keep it IMO (I dont given any weight 'tradition').

Twilight start is a must, circa 4:30-5pm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personal Anecdotes:
  • GFs 2012-2016: Attended
  • 2017: Watched on TV
  • 2018: Didn't watch. Was disinterested for some reason and did something else, although apparently turned out a good match. Went out afterwards
  • 2019: Wasn't planning on watching, but ended up somewhere others wanted to watch, so watch on TV we did
  • 2020: Watched on TV. Literally nothing else to do. Turned off early
  • 2021: Watched on TV. Literally nothing else to do. Turned off early
  • 2022: Didn't watch. Was doing something else
  • 2023: Planning to watch on TV then go out afterwards

Based on my current attitudes and habits, had 2020 been a normal year, I probably wouldn't have watched it. 2021 though I would've the same until I turned it off. I'm not a unicorn.

. There is no good argument too keep it IMO (I dont given any weight 'tradition').

Families.

I didn't realise how significant this was until I had my own children.

I now believe it's the most important argument. More so than tradition, which is the one I normally used.

2:30pm start is not consistent with modern life, particularly in NSW and QLD. It is a relic from a bye gone era that is not appropriate for the biggest game of the year. There is no good argument too keep it IMO (I dont given any weight 'tradition').

Twilight start is a must, circa 4:30-5pm.
not consistant with modern life?
oh yeah? says who?
Not consistant with your life you mean.
There is 5 million more of us just in the city you yourself live in you know.

Families.

I now believe it's the most important argument. More so than tradition, which is the one I normally used.
The 2021 grand final finished at 8.06pm and the cup was lifted at precisely 8.30pm - my photos are time-stamped. That's not super late for kids, on a Saturday night in school holidays.

The 2021 grand final finished at 8.06pm and the cup was lifted at precisely 8.30pm - my photos are time-stamped. That's not super late for kids, on a Saturday night in school holidays.

I assume you're in Perth?

Add 2 hours to what you just said for everybody on the Eastern side of the country.

Families.

Spot on. I'd groan every time the next Hawks match was a twilight game during the threepeat, because even the juggernaut couldn't beat bath and bed...

And if you'd ever met my ex-wife, you'd know the cost of me daring to change the routine...played that card very sparingly, because most of the time it just wasn't worth it...!

I think that there's scope for a twilight, but for me personally, not night time. I think if you back the winner, to be able to celebrate in to the night is a great part of the process. For a game that finishes however, commencing the festivities at 10pm isn't that easy.

Moreover, by the time the ball was boucned in the 2020 GF I was half cut and I don't even remember much of the second half, which made it is easier I guess :tearsofjoy:

Overall, I think the day game allows for pre, during and post game entertainment of making a big day out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back