Twilight Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

A twilight time was a good time, it gave you penalty of time to have to your dinner at half-time unlike Brisbane's in 2020 were it started just too late.

Last edited:
Moving biggest game of the season to 2:30pm was dumb. AFL leaving viewers and money on the table. Also I got used to not having to give up my Saturday afternoon to watch it.
Give up your Saturday afternoon doing what? Watching Mr Beast videos?

Moving biggest game of the season to 2:30pm was dumb. AFL leaving viewers and money on the table. Also I got used to not having to give up my Saturday afternoon to watch it.

Umm, it was basically always at 2:30 every year except 2020 and 2021, and was again last year.

In saying that I don’t understand why every other final is either at night or twilight but we have to have the GF during the day.

Hopefully never.

If you can't spare 3 hours on one Saturday arvo once a year then are you really a footy fan? Assuming you've no other important commitments.

F me, if people would rather go shopping or whatever instead of watching then so be it. Those who want to watch will watch.
People seem to find time to watch Freo v GWS at some random stupid hour but come a 2:30 GF shopping comes first. Sure…if you need to buy milk and bread at 2:30 this Saturday, go for it.

I like the arvo game. No dew. Warmer. Easier to avoid if required (Hi 2022). And going out on the tiles on GF night is often a fun night out.

My local supermarkets are open between 7AM and 10PM.

Is there a FTA Footy Marathon this year? I used to love those

I like the arvo game. No dew. Warmer. Easier to avoid if required (Hi 2022). And going out on the tiles on GF night is often a fun night out.

My local supermarkets are open between 7AM and 10PM.

Is there a FTA Footy Marathon this year? I used to love those
In Melbourne, Ch7 are showing the 2002 GF (Brisbane vs Collingwood) and 2010 GF (Collingwood vs St Kilda) from 12:30am to 7am on Saturday morning.

Fox Footy have a Top 20 GF countdown (30 min highlight package per GF) from 10pm on Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Melbourne, Ch7 are showing the 2002 GF (Brisbane vs Collingwood) and 2010 GF (Collingwood vs St Kilda) from 12:30am to 7am on Saturday morning.

Fox Footy have a Top 20 GF countdown (30 min highlight package per GF) from 10pm on Friday night.
Thanks heaps!!

Jesus... this again.

2:30 is perfect.

If it ever changes, 3:30 makes the most sense.

Night Grand Finals were attempted due to Covid, and the overwhelming feedback from us, the viewers, was that it didn't work.
They are the 2nd and 3rd highest rating grand finals of the past 15 years.

2020 had 35% more viewers than 2019, 2021 was even bigger, and then it dropped by 30% again in 2022.

Not sure how a significant bump in viewers means it didn't work.

They are the 2nd and 3rd highest rating grand finals of the past 15 years.

2020 had 35% more viewers than 2019, 2021 was even bigger, and then it dropped by 30% again in 2022.

Not sure how a significant bump in viewers means it didn't work.

Have a think about why it was so watched on television though.

It wasn't just because it was trialled at night.

Most of the country being in government enforced lockdowns absolutely added to it.

Also, just because people watched it doesn't mean the event itself worked.

There are endless stories of families who had kids in bed before the finish.
Fans of the winning teams who felt as though they hadn't really won the flag because it just didn't feel like a Grand Final with the celebrations and premiership cup handover happening so late at night.

That's why it didn't work. Of course everybody watched it. What else did we have to do at the time?

Last edited:
It should stay as an afternoon match, but if it ever changed it would be twilight tried first. A night start time is a long way away.

Have a think about why it was so watched on television though.

It wasn't just because it was trialled at night.

Most of the country being in government enforced lockdowns absolutely added to it.

Also, just because people watched it doesn't mean the event itself worked.

There are endless stories of families who had kids in bed before the finish.
Fans of the winning teams who felt as though they hadn't really won the flag because it just didn't feel like a Grand Final with the celebrations and premiership cup handover happening so late at night.

That's why it didn't work. Of course everybody watched it. What else did we have to do at the time?
"Night Grand Finals were attempted due to Covid, and the overwhelming feedback from us, the viewers, was that it didn't work."

WRONG

Twilight/Night GFs would rate the house down. But I prefer the day games, personally, simply due to "the vibe" of it.

Night GFs are inevitable. 75% of games are played at night, seems silly for the GF to stick to daytime. But I'm glad they do for now.

"Night Grand Finals were attempted due to Covid, and the overwhelming feedback from us, the viewers, was that it didn't work."

WRONG

Polls have been taken. Through various media platforms.

It's why it went straight back back to a 2:30 start.

Which I prefer.

But ratings are ratings. 2020 and 2021 rated the house down. It'll move eventually.

You can't use 2020 and 2021 as the example though, because of the unique circumstances.

I actually doubt we will ever see a night GF again. I can, unfortunately, see it being pushed back to 5:15 like last weekends prelim however.

You can't use 2020 and 2021 as the example though, because of the unique circumstances.

I actually doubt we will ever see a night GF again. I can, unfortunately, see it being pushed back to 5:15 like last weekends prelim however.
Covid might've played a small part, but being on in the evening would've played a bigger part I suspect. We'll never fully know until it happens again.

Personally, the GABBA GF sucked. Waiting a whole day for the granny just didn't feel like a real GF day. And I'm in Perth! (2 hours behind)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back