UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe how much I agree with you on this.
I remember watching Pool v Chelsea at a pub in Brunswick a few years back. A Pool fan and a Chelsea fan were going at it all game (it was a bit f***ing annoying but most people just let it slide). Anyway, Costa scores to put us up two one and the Chelsea supporter starts giving it to the Pool supporter. The Pool fan didn’t tolerate it so they start scrapping on the beer drenched floor. They were both semi overweight so you can see their cracks showing and their guts hanging out as they pathetically wrestled shitfaced on the ground. “Drogba” and “Gerrard” they had on their backs. Their mates eventually broke it up and dragged them outside. They then both start singing to one another (in really strong Australian accents) while their mates held them back. It was a f***ing embarrassment. Two bogan morons trying to replicate Football Factory in a nice Melbourne pub. Ruined the great away win.

I remember watching Pool v Chelsea at a pub in Brunswick a few years back. A Pool fan and a Chelsea fan were going at it all game (it was a bit f***ing annoying but most people just let it slide). Anyway, Costa scores to put us up two one and the Chelsea supporter starts giving it to the Pool supporter. The Pool fan didn’t tolerate it so they start scrapping on the beer drenched floor. They were both semi overweight so you can see their cracks showing and their guts hanging out as they pathetically wrestled shitfaced on the ground. “Drogba” and “Gerrard” they had on their backs. Their mates eventually broke it up and dragged them outside. They then both start singing to one another (in really strong Australian accents) while their mates held them back. It was a f***ing embarrassment. Two bogan morons trying to replicate Football Factory in a nice Melbourne pub. Ruined the great away win.

Did you win the fight?

it's a sport full of a lot of oddballs, that's for sure.

Would love to see Sevilla take it up to Bayern

Can never rule out Sevilla in Europe
Vs a Mou managed team maybe....a European juggernaut though won't go out and park the bus vs them so should be no trouble for Bayern. I predict 2 nil or 3-1 on the road then 2 nil at home.

Hoping for semis of Real vs Barca and Bayern vs City. Final - Real vs Bayern - never happened and is surely due!

Vs a Mou managed team maybe....a European juggernaut though won't go out and park the bus vs them so should be no trouble for Bayern. I predict 2 nil or 3-1 on the road then 2 nil at home.

Hoping for semis of Real vs Barca and Bayern vs City. Final - Real vs Bayern - never happened and is surely due!

Bayern v Real should have been the final last year when the 2 clubs were head and shoulders above the rest, shame they got drawn too early. It was obvious the winner would come from that tie.

I'm a little less interested in playing Real this year, and am not even entirely convinced that Juve won't pull off the win. Should we make the final I'd much rather play City.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretending like you’re part of some traditional EPL rivalry when you’re Australian (and your principle place of residence is in Australia) is a bit pathetic TBH. I’m sure we’ve all been to plenty of games over there, but manufacturing hate for a “rival” because you’re just trying to mimic poms (of all people) is nothing short of embarrassing. I have it in for clubs because my mates go for them, but if their side made the CL final and it came down to it, I’d probably get behind them. There is nothing more cringeworthy than seeing a privileged Australian try to act like a staunch working class football hooligan.

The derbies are also a funny one. I’m supposed to care about West Ham because I support Chelsea. I’ve never held a conversation with a West Ham fan before in my life, but some drunk hooligans are chanting at each other on a tube twenty thousand odd kilometres away, therefore I should try to resonate with them and conjure up some faux hatred for West Ham? Please lol. I appreciate the rivalries/history some clubs have with one another, but pretending to be apart of something that I’m quite clearly not apart of is heinous. The closest I get to football rivalry is drunk banter with my mates and threads like MD36.

The Premier League is also the only league I watch, so I want the quality to be the best it can be. If PL sides continue to flop in Europe it reflects badly on the league and we don’t become a drawcard for world class players. I appreciate the sport itself more than any “rivalry” so I want the best for the league and the coefficient. If that means another EPL “rival” progressing in a competition then so be it. I’m sure I’ll survive if my mates are happy and I have to put up with celebratory posts online.
great post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pretending like you’re part of some traditional EPL rivalry when you’re Australian (and your principle place of residence is in Australia) is a bit pathetic TBH. I’m sure we’ve all been to plenty of games over there, but manufacturing hate for a “rival” because you’re just trying to mimic poms (of all people) is nothing short of embarrassing. I have it in for clubs because my mates go for them, but if their side made the CL final and it came down to it, I’d probably get behind them. There is nothing more cringeworthy than seeing a privileged Australian try to act like a staunch working class football hooligan.

The derbies are also a funny one. I’m supposed to care about West Ham because I support Chelsea. I’ve never held a conversation with a West Ham fan before in my life, but some drunk hooligans are chanting at each other on a tube twenty thousand odd kilometres away, therefore I should try to resonate with them and conjure up some faux hatred for West Ham? Please lol. I appreciate the rivalries/history some clubs have with one another, but pretending to be apart of something that I’m quite clearly not apart of is heinous. The closest I get to football rivalry is drunk banter with my mates and threads like MD36.

The Premier League is also the only league I watch, so I want the quality to be the best it can be. If PL sides continue to flop in Europe it reflects badly on the league and we don’t become a drawcard for world class players. I appreciate the sport itself more than any “rivalry” so I want the best for the league and the coefficient. If that means another EPL “rival” progressing in a competition then so be it. I’m sure I’ll survive if my mates are happy and I have to put up with celebratory posts online.
Hatred is infectious though don’t you think, even if it’s only absorbed through cyber space? Considering a virtual world is how we are evolving I see nothing wrong with it!

Great post! :thumbsu:
Thanks for your explanation.

Worst possible outcome for us. City was the last team I wanted to draw. We can still go through but it will be very difficult and I think we may need a bit of luck.

Last 10 games vs City in all comps:
6 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses

They are one of the best sides of the Premier League era but we're not without a chance. We've typically performed well against them over the last few years. Should be a bloody entertaining tie with plenty of goals. The only thing that disappoints me is that if we lose we miss the novelty of playing one of the big continental European clubs.

Hatred is infectious though don’t you think, even if it’s only absorbed through cyber space? Considering a virtual world is how we are evolving I see nothing wrong with it!
I’m guessing most people feel differently, but I’d rather form my own opinion, not muster up some fake one which is dictated by people on the other side of the world, who I have absolutely nothing to do with. I think some people are kidding themselves a bit. Like am I supposed to hate Crystal Palace? I don’t. I used to work with a Crystal Palace supporter. He was a ripper bloke.

The PL doesn’t get much coverage over here. The big six get about half a page in the Herald Sun if they play each other and it’s usually a delayed article. SEN covering any football is just painful. You have to be pretty active to stay on top of things.

Most of my encounters with other fans are on here and I don’t tend to take this place too seriously. It’s hard to get passionate about rivalries when I don’t live through them myself.

Last 10 games vs City in all comps:
6 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses

They are one of the best sides of the Premier League era but we're not without a chance. We've typically performed well against them over the last few years. Should be a bloody entertaining tie with plenty of goals. The only thing that disappoints me is that if we lose we miss the novelty of playing one of the big continental European clubs.

That's the worst bit for me. I just wanted to watch us play one of the big Euro teams - even when we went out early a few years back it was great seeing Real at Anfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back