MMA-UFC UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Screenshot_20231012-182000_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231012-182300_Google.jpg
Both Volk and Usman stepping in on a week and a half notice.
Costa with an elbow injury (required multiple surgeries) . Oliveira with a deep cut above eye (in final sparring session before fight).šŸ™„

The event has lost nothing.. The main and co are still top-notch.

Above times are SA. Unfortunately a very early start. Top 3 fights is where it's at.

Last edited:

Is Volk the only guy to get 2 shots at going up in weight to be a champ champ?

Shows how much respect they have for him to call him first. Reckon Gaethje, Poirier even Chandler would have taken that fight on 10 days.

Poirier said he got called and said yes, but I dunno what happened

Biggest thing in Volk's favour is that he's likely to be able to make 155 on short notice easier than those other guys

Poirier said he got called and said yes, but I dunno what happened

Biggest thing in Volk's favour is that he's likely to be able to make 155 on short notice easier than those other guys
Probably less demands as well. Volk says yes then works out money later seems like

Probably less demands as well. Volk says yes then works out money later seems like
Yeah, Poirier is in the money fight stage of his career. Volk still on top and thinking of legacy.

Yeah, Poirier is in the money fight stage of his career. Volk still on top and thinking of legacy.
I'm also a little skeptical of Poirier saying yes. Already tapped out by Charles and Khabib. Not saying he's not game cause he's a G but I'd think he wants a full camp for Islam

Volk seems like the type of guy that would have been low key training for this fight in prep for a call. Him and Usman balls of steel taking scary fights on short notice. At least Volk knows what to expect now.

s**t hour, but still pumped. Might have a few irish coffees haha.

I'm also a little skeptical of Poirier saying yes. Already tapped out by Charles and Khabib. Not saying he's not game cause he's a G but I'd think he wants a full camp for Islam
I'd be inclined to take Poirier on his word at this point. Almost certainly gets worked by Islam without a full camp (or with, honestly), but he'd take the challenge. I think you've all nailed it - willingness, weight, requirements - Volk is the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be inclined to take Poirier on his word at this point. Almost certainly gets worked by Islam without a full camp (or with, honestly), but he'd take the challenge. I think you've all nailed it - willingness, weight, requirements - Volk is the guy.
Yeah I don't think Poitiers a liar at all, I just wonder if his yes was as emphatic as Volks maybe

Is Volk the only guy to get 2 shots at going up in weight to be a champ champ?

Shows how much respect they have for him to call him first. Reckon Gaethje, Poirier even Chandler would have taken that fight on 10 days.
Randy Couture fought in 6 heavyweight title bouts, then fought in 6 light heavyweight title bouts and then returned to heavyweight to compete in a further 3 heavyweight title bouts. He held the belt in each of those division runs. In total, he won 6/9 title fights at heavyweight and 3/6 title fights at light heavyweight. Mind you, the UFC was a VERY different promotion in the late 90s/early 2000s when Couture achieved that and it could easily be argued that he was not facing the best fighters in the world like Fedor Emelianenko who preferenced the Pride promotion instead. For the record, Volk is currently 6/6 in featherweight title bouts and 0/1 in lightweight title bouts.

Although I agree that guys like Gaethje, Poirier and Chandler would have taken the fight if offered, I think the UFC have made it pretty clear that that would like Volk to achieve champ-champ status by giving him 2 cracks at it in the same year. Theoretically, he was even in line for a 3rd crack this time last year when he was the back up for Makhachev v Oliviera. You do have to ask why though. Why are they so desperate for Volk to win the lightweight belt? Is it because they think he's stagnating the featherweight division (and potentially even the bantamweight division) and would rather Volk go into the shark tank of the lightweight division where it's more competitive which should open the door for a highly marketable fighter in O'Malley to have a shot at champ-champ status in the featherweight division? Is it because they would rather McGregor's return be against a smaller opponent not known for his wrestling? Is it because they genuinely believe Alex deserves to go down as one of the greats and champ-champ status would seal that?

There's often a lot going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of but it would be silly to think the UFC aren't trying to set up favourable outcomes their most marketable fighters like McGregor and O'Malley. Don't be surprised if a Volk win this weekend leads to a fight against McGregor for the lightweight belt next year (UFC 300?) and a vacating of the featherweight belt that will likely lead to a super fight for current bantamweight champ O'Malley.

Yeah I don't think Poitiers a liar at all, I just wonder if his yes was as emphatic as Volks maybe
There's also saying yes but putting a giant price
for taking it short notice that you know they won't pay

If the terms of the fight were accepted why would they keep asking others

Randy Couture fought in 6 heavyweight title bouts, then fought in 6 light heavyweight title bouts and then returned to heavyweight to compete in a further 3 heavyweight title bouts. He held the belt in each of those division runs. In total, he won 6/9 title fights at heavyweight and 3/6 title fights at light heavyweight. Mind you, the UFC was a VERY different promotion in the late 90s/early 2000s when Couture achieved that and it could easily be argued that he was not facing the best fighters in the world like Fedor Emelianenko who preferenced the Pride promotion instead. For the record, Volk is currently 6/6 in featherweight title bouts and 0/1 in lightweight title bouts.

Although I agree that guys like Gaethje, Poirier and Chandler would have taken the fight if offered, I think the UFC have made it pretty clear that that would like Volk to achieve champ-champ status by giving him 2 cracks at it in the same year. Theoretically, he was even in line for a 3rd crack this time last year when he was the back up for Makhachev v Oliviera. You do have to ask why though. Why are they so desperate for Volk to win the lightweight belt? Is it because they think he's stagnating the featherweight division (and potentially even the bantamweight division) and would rather Volk go into the shark tank of the lightweight division where it's more competitive which should open the door for a highly marketable fighter in O'Malley to have a shot at champ-champ status in the featherweight division? Is it because they would rather McGregor's return be against a smaller opponent not known for his wrestling? Is it because they genuinely believe Alex deserves to go down as one of the greats and champ-champ status would seal that?

There's often a lot going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of but it would be silly to think the UFC aren't trying to set up favourable outcomes their most marketable fighters like McGregor and O'Malley. Don't be surprised if a Volk win this weekend leads to a fight against McGregor for the lightweight belt next year (UFC 300?) and a vacating of the featherweight belt that will likely lead to a super fight for current bantamweight champ O'Malley.
I think they give Volk what he wants because he fights. No other bloke around their is as active as him and he's the bloody champ

Interesting post for their motives but if Conor comes back to a title shot im done with the sport šŸ˜‚

Definitely would. Think everyone in the top 10 does

If people want a legitimate sport you cant be giving him a title fight. Pathetic
I agree but also at this point Volk can pick his opponents and not only would Connor pick him, Volk picks Connor aswell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back