Review Ummm… embarrassingly bad Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

i have got covid fog brain at the moment, but thinking about dogs and football i have decided to make a list of afl players and dogs they remind me of
rozee- border collie
dixon- american mastiff
marshall- afghan hound
boak- blue healer
spp- pit bull
drew- red healer
wines- cattle dog crossed with a staffy
jase burgoyne- underfed sheep dog
georgiadis- red setter
butters- fox terrier
dbj- jack russell
hayes- rescue dog

They shouldn't review balls that are called touched by the field umpire. It doesn't make any sense, that game has already changed as a result of the call.
Yeah I really hope they have a look at this one.

Not because I give a s**t about it in the context of this game, but its just a poor interpretation that will cause chaos down the line if they don't get it right.

Aliir on the goal line has far less motivation to try to touch or mark the ball if he can say the umpire has already called touched.

I want Hinkley gone as much as the next person. He can’t kick the goals for the players though. Not picking a ruck, yep that’s on Ken, basic skill execution, that’s on the players.

This is the reason Ken must go. Same scenarios and same losing ways time and time again.

Needs a good teaching coach

Exactly. I don't think Ken's been that type.

At 3QTR time, I gave us a chance of coming back to pinch it. I even posted it (not bragging) on the game day thread that its only 34points. I know how disappointing it is to lose, however we did play some good football. But then again, we also played some dumb football. Clear example is when Todd had a chance to snap at goal, instead kick it 30mtrs back turning it over.

So where did we lose this game? Ruck? Probably. Poor decision making? Definitely

I also think we lost it in the last minute of the 2nd Qtr where they kicked a goal, and in the last minute of the 3rd Qtr. Lack of concentration at the most crucial parts of the game can be all the difference.

When Gray had the chance of getting us within 3 points, I was saying to myself, hurry up, which he did, but fluffed it. Perhaps if he did take all of his 30 seconds and kick straight, coulda, shoulda, woulda as we still had time to kick another.

Now we need other teams to lose for us to have any chance of making the 8 this year. Next week is one of those weeks, we can get that 1 game back out of the 8 if all going well.

This was always going to be a tough game to win. Came out and had a good start in the 1st quarter. Marshall was actually looking like he was going to have a good game early on- He had an excellent goal from a link up with SPP near the boundary line. After that Port faded and went from being up by a goal to being down by 3 goals midway through the 2nd quarter. Farrell snapped a nice 50m goal to cut margin back to 2 goals, but then Freo kicked another 2 goals to end up 4 goals in front at half time, which is never a great place to be.

3rd quarter lost the game. Had some poor errors inside defense that led to direct Freo goals. For example, there was an occasion where Aliir dropped an uncontested mark. It fell straight into Freo's hands and resulted in a handball to Fyfe who handballed it straight to a player running in to an open goal. The mark from Georgiades will probably get Mark of the Year. It was just a pity he couldn't finish it off with a goal.

Tbh the 8 point margin was flattering. The game felt lost in the 3rd quarter and would've taken a miracle to come back from as the margin was out to 40 points at one stage. Now sitting 2 games outside the 8.

View attachment 1439098

Not sure if it is some sort of omen, or that I had too many Vintage Ales last night, but I noticed over the last 5 games our next opponent GWS has had the mirror opposite results to us

Maybe we have been playing them in some sort of parallel universe

A career defining season for Rozee. Midfield is his right role. He's justifying his selection at pick 5 in the 2018 draft
Agreed. Even though things weren't always going his way, he was really putting in and trying to lift the side. He is so exciting to watch when he gets it on the outside and starts weaving his way through traffic. Did some nice one percenters as well like that tap on in the fouth in the middle of the ground.

He's back to kicking goals too now in recent weeks which is great.

Gee i wish Mitch gave him that handball in the 4th....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the loss, you can’t knock the endeavour & fighting spirit that the boys put up. I’m sick of focusing on the negatives so here’s to the positives I see going forward.

• Rozee is fast becoming our best player, & one of the best mids of the comp.
  • Bergman is going to be a very good player.
  • SPP is invaluable to this team now.
  • Marshall, Georgiades & Lord will eventually become the best tall forward combination in the AFL
  • Mead reminds me of a young Sam Mitchell, who with added experience & roving to a recognised ruck will eventually evolve into a very good player.
  • Well done Burger, performed admirably for a first gamer. Distinctive kicking action.

I don’t think all is doom & gloom going forward. When you consider what Butters, Duursma, Bonner, Teakle, Fanta, Sinn & Pasini could add to this line up, + some handy pick ups in the Draft/Trade period we’re not looking to bad.
Agreed, our list isn't too bad, we just need a good coach to take the group to the next level.

A career defining season for Rozee. Midfield is his right role. He's justifying his selection at pick 5 in the 2018 draft
Completely agree. What I really like is how he is still working into games and making an impact despite opposition teams now giving him lots of attention. Similar to last week he lifted in the second half and was one of the reasons we got back into the game in the last quarter. Has managed over 20 touches and at least 1 goal in the past 6 games.

that comeback doesn't please me, it pisses me right off. it takes being 40 down to throw all our bitch tactics out the window and just play the direct and attacking footy that we know this list is capable of doing.

that comeback doesn't please me, it pisses me right off. it takes being 40 down to throw all our bitch tactics out the window and just play the direct and attacking footy that we know this list is capable of doing.

Another gift from the treasure trove of kernel finkley

I don't know if the Robbie and Marshall misses were complete chokes in front of goal. That comeback gassed the players and they were out on their feet at the end of it. Marshall was up and down the ground a lot. Kicking on tired legs is a different proposition to kicking on fresh legs.
They certainly were exhausted but earlier efforts by many just weren't up to the effort required to compete with quality teams. Freo players pretty exhausted at game end too.

Just checked the stats. Boak and Wines had more than 20 handballs each. Rozee only had 21 touches (14 handballs), yet I would have sworn he had that many in the second half alone.
It's the impact of the touches that I remember. Many stats are irrelevant. All Rozee's count & generally bust the game open.

Agreed, our list isn't too bad, we just need a good coach to take the group to the next level.
Absolutely, a coach with the ability to instil self confidence into the players, instead of them falling back on kern's personal get out clause of `someone has to lose' crapola would improve the current line up significantly.

I've said it before and I will say it again, `Big Bob' McLean would have given Hinkley the rissole 5 or 6 years ago, no-one in the current regime would have been good enough to lick his boots!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back