Review Ummm… embarrassingly bad Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Got the fast start but still couldn't even get a lead at quarter time, largely due to getting destroyed out of the middle sans a ruckman.

Pretty s**t middle two quarters.

Came home with a wet sail in one of those false alarmer comebacks we tend to do 3-4 times a year where we get right to the edge of a decent sized comeback and then just stop. You sort of sit there and logically you should be getting excited but deep down you know how it's going to end. Have we actually completed any of these comebacks post 2014?

Wines BOG.

Dixon nowhere for the first three quarters then turned the game in the last.

Burton is easily our most reliable defender these days.

It's kind of incredible that everyone must surely realise that Rozee is going to pull that side step and accelerate away nearly every time he gets it but they still don't seem to be able to stop him.

Burgoyne good debut.

Bergman played well, predictably. Can we just keep him in the team, please? And can we also get Duursma into the team because they both should be 200 game ink them in type players and yet we f*** around yo-yo-ing them between AFL, SANFL and the sub vest.

Drew does some nice things when he gets his hands to the footy but still doesn't get enough of it, which is a big problem.

Aliir was terrible.

Georgiades is such an enigma. One second he's taking hangers the next he's totally misreading the football and getting outmarked like he isn't even there. One second he's slotting set shots the next he's missing them. One second he's doing something smart the next he's doing something dumb. Keep him in but gee he's got some rough edges to iron out.

Yet we’re number 1 for pressure
That's because we might be good at running and chasing, corralling and even putting on physical pressure to rack up points, but if we can't do ball and all tackles and stop them cleanly disposing of the ball, then those pressure points racked up might look good - but the substance is they didn't achieve much.

From CD's glossary page.

Possession: When a player grabs the ball with a reasonable amount of time to dispose of it. Includes groundball-gets, marks, handball receives, effective contested knock-ons and frees for. Pressure Act (Implied): Reducing an opponent’s decision making time without physical contact ‘via corralling, closing space or chasing from behind’.
Pressure Act (Corralling): The lowest form of pressure a player can apply, where they are simply occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward, or have a run at them, but not quickly enough to record ‘closing’ pressure. Pressure Act (Closing): A higher degree of pressure than corralling, where the pressure player is on the verge of making contact with the ball carrier (either from in front or the side) as he disposals of the ball. The key point of difference between this and corralling is that there will be imminent contact and the pressure player is forcing the ball carrier to dispose of it immediately.
Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing. They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball. If the chasing player is on the verge of making physical contact from behind, then closing pressure will be imminent. Pressure Act (Physical): Applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.
Pressure Chances: The number of opportunities a team had to apply pressure i.e. opposition disposals, including tackles that prevent an opposition disposal. Pressure Factor: Pressure points per pressure chance. Measure only at the team level.
Pressure Points: Weighed sum of pressure acts. Physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing acts are 1.5 points and corralling are 1.2. Pressure Points Per Minute: Pressure points per minute of time on ground.

Georgiades actually had Connor on at 45 degrees on his left running into 50 alone if he had given the handball or chip kick. He just didn't have the composure to look for options. He could also have chipped it low to Marshall on the lead but he held onto the ball to long. Hopefully he develops and learns from this.
just had to handball to connor early, seen him but just looked him off.
terrible decision making just awful.

Dont know what people expect with Drew. Its Kerns fault he played Drew as a tagger on Brayshaw in the first half then in the second half he said fk it and let Drew play his natural game. People forget he was if not as good as McGluggage as a mid in their draft year and does fagan use McGluggage as a tagger? no way in hell

18 disposals and 5 tackles whilst making Brayshaw go at 67% disposal efficiency when Brayshaw has been at 74,84 the past two games is a pretty fair return.

I dont recall a tagger shutting down a player whilst still collecting 30+ Maybe sheils did it one day dont recall Crowley doing it. Kane Cornes doesn’t count. He was a seagull that kicked backwards

Last edited:
Actually the more I look back at, the more Marshall's decision to lead up at Georgiades early was really really dumb. If Mitch does kick to him almost straight away, then Marshall marks 60m from goal, turns around and has absolutely no one to kick to. So would end up just standing there and waiting for MG and Rozee to run past him to get someone in the forward line.

Even if MG did handball to Rozee he's just going to run on and have nowhere to kick to because Marshall has run forward. Although maybe the early handpass in to Rozee stops Marshall making the decision to lead into no-man's land.

There was never a long kick to an empty goal square on because Freo already had defenders running back into the forward 50 in corridor ahead of the play.

Dont know what people expect with Drew. Its Kerns fault he played Drew as a tagger on Brayshaw in the first half then in the second half he said fk it and let Drew play his natural game. People forget he was if not as good as McGluggage as a mid in their draft year.

18 disposals and 5 tackles whilst making Brayshaw go at 67% disposal efficiency when Brayshaw has been at 74,84 the past two games is a pretty fair return.

I dont recall a tagger shutting down a player whilst still collecting 30+ Maybe sheils did it one day dont recall Crowley doing it. Kane Cornes doesn’t count. He was a seagull that kicked backwards
Yep, this! Every week there’s someone with a “Drew was a bit quiet, just can’t seem to get enough of it”

side eye

Why do we continually fail in the dying stages of games, but Clarko's Hawthorn continually got it done in those exact same situations?

Its mentality. Its confidence. Its composure. Its understanding the gameplan in that situation to the point that you can be 100% focused on the kick. Games like this can go either way but the record is clear. Ken coached sides generally lose the close ones.
Shaun vs Boak is one example. Roughead vs Marshall is another.

Throw in Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis. When he lost them, they didn't get it done as often. Also Breust and Gunston had high conversion rates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that was ridiculous. the field ump calls touched. then it barely clears the line. then it is miraculously not touched and a goal.
the afl are a bunch of cheating scum. truly a rabble of incompetent embiciles.
either a group of game rigging cheats. or a bunch of grossly incompetents buffoons.
which is worse?
either the afl are a systematic cheat organisation.
or they are incompetent embeciles.
which is worse? to be a cheat? or to be an incompetent buffoon.
that is why people are turning off the tele and not attending games.
because they know its a rubbish comp with no consistency or fairness.

I am still getting over the Boyd Woodcocks first goal against Bulldogs, called a goal and was a goal but overturned on the reasoning that he couldn’t see a gap between post and ball although there were no camera angles to show this clearly.
The benefit of the doubt or umpires call never seems to go the fair way but the way the umpires want it.

Too many corrupt w***ers like Matt Stevic, Matt Nicholls etc to even respect the sport anymore.

I thought Brad Scott might have some influence but no one has the balls or strength to fix up these problems, they just bring in more perplexing rules and enact them when they want it I influence the game.

yep, georgi did the same last week several times, ignored the first/ best option going forward and tried to do too much himself.
great mark but stupid decision making. he even failed to convert from his possible mark of the year effort.
but he is young and there is hope

Re `stray' red setters on the beach, I let mine off the leash at Seacliff back in my early teenage years, it was legal back then.
There were only a handful of people on the beach at the time, but utilising Murphy's law he chased down a seagull that was more than 50 metres away and gave it the coup de grace only a few metres from where a woman and her two pre school age kids were having a paddle in the shallows.

There were feathers everywhere, and I had to get what was left of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull off the dog, whilst humbly apologising to the woman for the mayhem her extremely upset kids had witnessed.
haha. knowing dogs i can well imagine that.
i used to live up the road from burton and he had a dumb as F red setter that would always get in the way of my german shepherd as he grabbed the frisbee on a long lead, and often the setter got smashed, and i always thought that dogs do resemble their owners.

Last edited:
i have got covid fog brain at the moment, but thinking about dogs and football i have decided to make a list of afl players and dogs they remind me of
rozee- border collie
dixon- american mastiff
marshall- afghan hound
boak- blue healer
spp- pit bull
drew- red healer
wines- cattle dog crossed with a staffy
jase burgoyne- underfed sheep dog
georgiadis- red setter
butters- fox terrier
dbj- jack russell

ipso facto means 'by the fact itself'
Oh lookie you changed your post after I replied to it. Well done. See how I responded to your dumb arse comments about Riewold, Brown and Buckley working for 7. And now they're not there. Isn't it nice that BF's quoting system, updates where your post is everywhere.

Can't even stand by your own stupidity.

Just for posterity Screenshot_20220704-025908.png
As for missing "your point" as you said here. I got it. I just considered it a bit hypocritical to be calling others idiots while getting something so simple wrong...

And your use of ipso facto is wrong, because you watching Channel 7 doesn't actually make Adam Papalia work for Channel 7.

Last edited:
Oh lookie you changed your post after I replied to it. Well done. See how I responded to your dumb arse comments about Riewold, Brown and Buckley working for 7. And now they're not there. Isn't it nice that BF's quoting system, updates where your post is everywhere.

Can't even stand by your own stupidity.

Just for posterityView attachment 1439195
As for missing "your point" as you said here. I got it. I just considered it a bit hypocritical to be calling others idiots while getting something so simple wrong...

And your use of ipso facto is wrong, because you watching Channel 7 doesn't actually make Adam Papalia work for Channel 7.
ipso facto
they commentate on games on channel 7. they are therefore 7 commentators.
you are welcome to make additions on my afl players and dogs they resemble post

Got the fast start but still couldn't even get a lead at quarter time, largely due to getting destroyed out of the middle sans a ruckman.

Pretty s**t middle two quarters.

Came home with a wet sail in one of those false alarmer comebacks we tend to do 3-4 times a year where we get right to the edge of a decent sized comeback and then just stop. You sort of sit there and logically you should be getting excited but deep down you know how it's going to end. Have we actually completed any of these comebacks post 2014?

Wines BOG.

Dixon nowhere for the first three quarters then turned the game in the last.

Burton is easily our most reliable defender these days.

It's kind of incredible that everyone must surely realise that Rozee is going to pull that side step and accelerate away nearly every time he gets it but they still don't seem to be able to stop him.

Burgoyne good debut.

Bergman played well, predictably. Can we just keep him in the team, please? And can we also get Duursma into the team because they both should be 200 game ink them in type players and yet we f*** around yo-yo-ing them between AFL, SANFL and the sub vest.

Drew does some nice things when he gets his hands to the footy but still doesn't get enough of it, which is a big problem.

Aliir was terrible.

Georgiades is such an enigma. One second he's taking hangers the next he's totally misreading the football and getting outmarked like he isn't even there. One second he's slotting set shots the next he's missing them. One second he's doing something smart the next he's doing something dumb. Keep him in but gee he's got some rough edges to iron out.
Most of these "comebacks" are when we are so far down, Hinkley has no choice but to throw out his s**t game plan and say take the game on. The brilliant-minded Ken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back