Review Ummm… embarrassingly bad Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

The finger injury in the warm up arguably cost us the game with his constant dropping of marks
Wait, really? He injured it in the warm up? I saw him with it strapped up in the last, but thought it might've just been a long term thing since he didn't obvious show anything during the match.

A standard "honourable loss" where the comeback made it look better than it was. Four quarters is not sustainable under the current regime because the players start at a loss without a ruck. Dixon may as well have started in ruck.

What in the world happened in the off season? Ridiculous lack of fitness and swathes of seemingly constant injuries. Could see the signs in Round 1.

I get a few have switched off and I don't blame them. I'm not upset at the result but I fear what lies ahead if the club doesn't act on the coach.

Finishing 10-12 and then picking up another flanker and fashionable recruit no.17 going into 2023 won't fill me with much confidence.

As an aside, props to the camera man who cut to Ken taking a large swig after the late misses. Was absolute gold.

The campaigner is always smiling
Nothing interview.
When asked about ruck options, told us Lycett will play next week; Teakle is injured; and Hayes......well we didn't pick Hayes anyway, but he has COVID.

Brynn Teakle may well end up a very good footballer for the PAFC and I may bask in his glory when he finally plays more than 35 minutes for us. But the adulation of his 2 minute career while Sam Hayes has been unceremoniously thrown out with the trash, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

If we held everyone to the standards that Hinkely and his two lapdogs, Bassett and Montgomery, have demanded of Hayes, we would never have seen more than 2 games played by Steven Motlop in a PAFC guernsey. Hypocrites.

A standard "honourable loss" where the comeback made it look better than it was. Four quarters is not sustainable under the current regime because the players start at a loss without a ruck. Dixon may as well have started in ruck.
Dixon starts in the ruck and we don't get the jump we did. Sean Darcy actually looked tentative in the ruck against Finlayson, concerned about his jump and that he'd give away a free kick by simply bowling him over competing normally. And then he did give away the free kick.

Dixon lines up there and Darcy just takes a normal approach, like what he settled into for the first quarter.

I mean its completely unsustainable as a tactic, but its why we got the jump in the middle.

Marshall still needs Dixon's presence in the forward line against better teams, or he gets the first defender and can't get into the game.

Our relatively fresh medical sub spent the last 4 minutes on the bench. Why? Because he didn't contribute anything other than a tackle and a kick

1656848132805.png

Dixon starts in the ruck and we don't get the jump we did. Sean Darcy actually looked tentative in the ruck against Finlayson, concerned about his jump and that he'd give away a free kick by simply bowling him over competing normally. And then he did give away the free kick.

Dixon lines up there and Darcy just takes a normal approach, like what he settled into for the first quarter.

I mean its completely unsustainable as a tactic, but its why we got the jump in the middle.

Marshall still needs Dixon's presence in the forward line against better teams, or he gets the first defender and can't get into the game.
Dixon was close to our worst player (after Aliir) for the first three quarters. He had a remarkably good last quarter, and while he was in the ruck during the last quarter we had a chance. Finlayson just had an average game after a good initial three minutes. Georgiades was the same.

Nothing interview.
When asked about ruck options, told us Lycett will play next week; Teakle is injured; and Hayes......well we didn't pick Hayes anyway, but he has COVID.

Brynn Teakle may well end up a very good footballer for the PAFC and I may bask in his glory when he finally plays more than 35 minutes for us. But the adulation of his 2 minute career while Sam Hayes has been unceremoniously thrown out with the trash, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

If we held everyone to the standards that Hinkely and his two lapdogs, Bassett and Montgomery, have demanded of Hayes, we would never have seen more than 2 games played by Steven Motlop in a PAFC guernsey. Hypocrites.

Hayes is gonna need therapy after the bullying stinkley has given him.

Hoenstlt after half time I finished watching a Mad Men episode so I'll give my review for that instead.

It was very entertaining. I liked Don and Joan's drinks session together. The whole Hare Krishna subplot with Harry and Paul and the whole Star Trek Negron script was a bit offbeat, but hey that's the late 60s. Not sure what Lane is up to with his illegal dealing and how he really wanted to give out bonuses, but I probably missed something when I was busy posting in the sack Hinkley thread.

Overall solid episode. 8/10

Note: The little actress who plays Sally is very very good for her age. Extremely talented.
How good is Mad Men

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't feel any sort of excitement when we were coming back, nor did I feel any sort of disappointment when we inevitably lost. I am beyond bored of everything to do with this club right now.
Same ........ sadly.

Normally invested in matches and yell and wail passionately throughout.
Now I just watch with level of interest that I have for neutral games.
Even found it hard to express my usual acerbic vitriol after the Magpies' deplorable capitulation yesterday.

I'm emotionally wrung out, fed up, and beyond giving a flying **** anymore - that's what this club has made me into.

Did anyone notice that after Freo's first goal of the third quarter there were FIVE LONG ads? I can name them if necessary, Geelong grandmother, deaf ladies player, etc. Five! I thought the game had gone back to 70 after the news but no! What was going on there??

The afl website lists Port as having no injuries. According to the afl article, the medical substitute Steven Motlop was unused. Fair enough. It was hard to tell.

Does anyone feel Fremantle's plan today for Rozee was to tackle him before he actually got the ball?
yeah. alot of freos illegal blocking, tackling, scragging went unnoticed by the umps.
but they plucked a running too far out against farrell when he backed up 7 metres against frontal pressure.
seriously one of the worst umpiring displays i have ever seen.
straight after the running too far against farrell they paid a mark to freo that was clearly touched several times.
it was the first time i have heard the good looking but dumb 7 commentators question a dodgy decision all season.

Good

Wines was incredible. Was strong on the inside, worked hard on the outside, up forward, down back. His best game this year and arguably one of his best for the club.
DBJ gets a lot of s**t but I thought he was very good today. Defended well and worked hard to provide run and carry.
Bergman came in without any notice and off limited/poor SANFL form and I thought he was very solid considering.
Boak was good but outplayed by their midfielders for the most part. Spent a lot of time chasing David Mundy's arse, which is saying something.
Burgoyne had 5 clangers with his first 5 kicks and from that point onwards used the ball well. Didn't get beaten too often... it was a shame that the one time he did get beaten was the deathblow.

Bad

Our half forwards. Zero defensive accountability on their men. Freo's half backs tore us apart.
Aliir. His worst game for the club although somewhat emblematic of his season. Got to heaps of balls and won position only to drop them into the hands of waiting Freo small forwards. Has had issues with his marking all year and this was the worst of it.
Houston. Woeful game. Hopefully just a one off
Georgiades. Just needs to do better with ball in hand.
Motlop should never play for the club again but that is obvious.
McKenzie is very lucky we have no one else.
Marshall regressed to old Marshall. That kick back into the centre of the ground...

Lowest footy IQ in our team. The kick over his shoulder instead of handball to Rozee was the stuff of imbeciles.
and his fly for the ball in the first 10 seconds of the game had me out of my seat.
the ball would have landed in marshalls lap.
i told you georgi reminds me of a stray red setter on the beach let off the leash for the first time.
athletically talented but dumb as s**t.
also noted the last two weeks that georgi burns bright early.
then his opponent turns the heat up and he dissapears.
he kicked 2 early last week then his opponent (an ex richmond campaigner) ran him ragged and kicked 1 or 2 on him from half back.
the oppo would be saying, he is good but completely stupid and unaccountable, you can easily torch him on the rebound.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back