Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

spot on, bevo - clarko is the cameron smith of the afl it seems........

He's right. It isn't really on Clarko to shut up - although I really wish he would, and I wrote a comment to suggest he should - it's on the AFL to have the spine not to react when he tries to manipulate them. As he said, they flinched and they shouldn't have.

Throw the ball up quicker, throw the ball in quicker, pay more free kicks, might help to open the game up on the spread, but do you have the same issue at the next stoppage? Not only does the congestion cause sloppy play, it causes more tackles, more stoppages and a harder game to umpire.

Throwing the ball up quicker and paying more free kicks doesn't just open the game up on the spread though.

It also means that players can't make as many contests. someone like Ed Curnow that currently can make every ball up around the ground wouldn't be able to, and that change means that players are going to keep shape up & down the ground better to give yourself a better chance of winning stoppages around the ground.

Starting to think that the constant “let the game go” philosophy has gotten us to where we are. Watching the brissy cats game and fair dinkum the umpires could’ve paid a million frees. The game is no longer about not breaking the rules, but breaking them but not quite enough that it is so ott that it has to be paid.
We all asked for it and now the constant pushing back of the line is what we are left with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone put up the vid of htb free paid against O’Brien in Hawks v Pies game last night?
Worst decision I’ve seen in years.......instant change channel moment
you mustn't finish many games.....

We won but another big diff in the free kicks ...

After Clarkson dummy spit & Gil jumping how high ... almost better to be 2nd to the ball !!

We won but another big diff in the free kicks ...

After Clarkson dummy spit & Gil jumping how high ... almost better to be 2nd to the ball !!

Umpiring very biased last night. Completely ridiculous decision making one way.
BTW - How you can clean elbow someone behind the head in clear view and not get penalised is beyond me. Would be interesting if one of our players ever did such a thing.

Had a player, Newnes iirc, chasing a ball out to the wing from a centre clearance, gave away a free kick for blocking after he ran in front of his opponent. Not even in the rules in that situation. Holding, no, they were trying to bump each other off the ball. Shepherding is still legal, at best that was what he was doing.

One of a few confusing interpretations last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW - How you can clean elbow someone behind the head in clear view and not get penalised is beyond me. Would be interesting if one of our players ever did such a thing.
Umpiring was disgusting V doggies ..and yet their supporters think it was one of the reasons they lost

The newnes block was outrageous and showed the ump has no idea or feel for a game of football. The ball was within 10 metres as well, wasn’t in the back, wasn’t high, wasn’t anything other than what happens 100 times a game where a player is trying to make space to get the friggen ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are you referring to Smith on Walsh in the first quarter?

The Weitering punch of a loose ball that came off the side of his fist and traveled 25 metres at a 45 degree angle, deliberate out of bounds. fmd

Umpiring was disgusting V doggies ..and yet their supporters think it was one of the reasons they lost

To be fair it was 20-9 free kicks at one stage. It ended up 20-12.

Those 3 frees to us when they didn't get a single one.

Surely the difference.

I honestly think the club needs to reach out to the AFL to get clarity on why we give away so many frees yet don't seem to receive frees ourselves when the roles are reversed. I appreciate it's an extremely difficult game to umpire, but we are on the end of a lopsided free kick count (particularly early in games) every week lately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back