Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Two of the most amateur umpiring blunders on Friday night.

#1. The rule was changed a few years ago where if the siren goes, you are allowed to start off the line, run around and kick the ball over the line. The end result is the same as a normal kick, as you end up kicking the ball on the line to the goals. On Friday the player started on the line, and was allowed to run 5m inside the line before kicking. The umpire should’ve called play on, and subsequently no score. Fortunately the swans player missed.

#2. The was an out on the full right by the swans goal, and Saad stood a metre inside the boundary, to take the resulting free kick. He stood for a good 5-10 seconds before “playing on”. Now since the free kick is for out of bounds, the recipient must start out of bounds before bringing the ball back into play.

It is rather poor form for umpires at the AFL level to get such basic rules wrong, considering they are black and white rules, not open to interpretation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two of the most amateur umpiring blunders on Friday night.

#1. The rule was changed a few years ago where if the siren goes, you are allowed to start off the line, run around and kick the ball over the line. The end result is the same as a normal kick, as you end up kicking the ball on the line to the goals. On Friday the player started on the line, and was allowed to run 5m inside the line before kicking. The umpire should’ve called play on, and subsequently no score. Fortunately the swans player missed.

#2. The was an out on the full right by the swans goal, and Saad stood a metre inside the boundary, to take the resulting free kick. He stood for a good 5-10 seconds before “playing on”. Now since the free kick is for out of bounds, the recipient must start out of bounds before bringing the ball back into play.

It is rather poor form for umpires at the AFL level to get such basic rules wrong, considering they are black and white rules, not open to interpretation.

Sound fairly minor to me. Didn't notice either.

Geez Brett Rosebury used to be my favourite umpire but he had a dead set mare last night.
Though must say the standard of the first prelim was pretty ordinary. Sure put the whistle away, but you still have to pay the blatantly obvious.

Crap teams playing good teams. Crap teams are going to be lead to the ball all day and put under pressure so yeah, the free kick discrepancy is going to naturally favour the good side. This is just how our game works and always has. Many weeks with Curnow and McKay the umpires let a lot go and they don't get the frees they should, we all know that, the holding, blocking, over the shoulder etc in marking contest. It didn't happen this game. It happens because these forwards are seeing a lot of ball and it's not coming in under pressure. Also because of their height and skill they put their opponent under pressure which forces them to infringe.

North Melbourne also did some amazingly stupid things like running through the mark and moving on the mark to give away 50's.

If you put the opposition under pressure, if you out play them they will give away free kicks and this is how our game works. If you're second to the ball a lot you will give away a lot of frees which is how our game works. Good teams generally win a lot of free kicks this way, particularly if the discrepancy in quality is as much as it is between Carlton and North. Some really stupid 50s don't help. North only have themselves to blame and not the umpires.

We will probably see us win the free kick count and score from it a lot this season if we remain a strong team. Our players hit the ball hard and are strong around the contest which will draw holding and high frees. We have a lot of small forwards who generall draw high frees simply by being short and attacking the ball, our tall forwards put a crazy amount of pressure on opposition defenders and make them panic so there are your holding and over the shoulder frees. We lead our opponents to the ball a lot.

I feel We copped similar umpiring to north when we were down the bottom. Frustrating at the time.

Would be interesting if someone were to compare frees for and against in throughout 2018 to last last year

I feel We copped similar umpiring to north when we were down the bottom. Frustrating at the time.

Would be interesting if someone were to compare frees for and against in throughout 2018 to last last year
I agree, but with the caveat that I don't think we were as undisciplined as to concede 6 50m penalties in a match.

It's one thing to say that we were similarly treated and that the umpires have a bias towards the better sides, but it's quite another when you've got Larkey bouncing McGovern's head off the ground off the ball, Pink moving around after being told to stand and Wardlaw running straight through the mark. You can't control what the umpires do most of the time, but you can absolutely control how many 50's you concede.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but with the caveat that I don't think we were as undisciplined as to concede 6 50m penalties in a match.

It's one thing to say that we were similarly treated and that the umpires have a bias towards the better sides, but it's quite another when you've got Larkey bouncing McGovern's head off the ground off the ball, Pink moving around after being told to stand and Wardlaw running straight through the mark. You can't control what the umpires do most of the time, but you can absolutely control how many 50's you concede.

We gave away plenty of 50s back then.

I actually think North should have been done a couple more times due to dissent

It's an interesting conversation, I have always felt players are umpired differently as well with regards as to who they are. When you have a new no name player playing on a well known player, the well know player gets looked after a little better than say if two well known players play on each other. Now experience plays on this as well as the experience player knows what they can and can't get away with.

Round 1, Young on Lynch, very soft free kick against Young, probably wouldn't happen if it was Weiters? Round 1, 10 free kicks rewarded for our tackles, that is rare. Mackay and Curnow on experienced well known back man, less free kicks even though some were there. Nth backman the other night were too man orientated instead of trying to win the contest.

Rule change required: Take the ball out of the ruck rule has gone from one extreme to the other.
  • Before, take the ball out of the ruck, immediate tackle, penalised
  • Now, take the ball out of the ruck, hold on to it get tackled, dispose of incorrectly or get taken to the ground, play on all ball up?

There is a fundamental premise here. The better side usually wins 99% of the time. Blaming umpires is a myopic response. Good coaches know that. Given the nature of our game, it is a challenging game to umpire and yes mistakes will be made. The game is open to interpretation thereby allowing ignorance to flourish.

Yep - been on the favourable side of the count over the last 10-15 years even with poor performance.

Worth noting we have had the Coleman for multiple of those years, and there's definitely a correlation between free kicks and strong forwards.

In fairness, I'd prefer to play more on the edge like the Tigers in their 3 flags in 4 years, but happy with the Voss style toughness

Young teams making stupid mistakes because they are frustrated usually give away a fair few frees away for cheap. Why do the free kicks need to be even anyway? North were getting smashed on the score board and we have two top tier key forwards they can't match.

I wish we had less incidents with players running on to the MCG car park Jeremy Cameron style and been rewarded for it though.

Young teams in this sport fatigue. Fatigue makes people not think clearly, such as running through the protected area as they're too focused on being where they should be without thinking about how they need to get there.

Young AFL teams also tend to have less experienced leaders or not as many to take the load. Such inexperience coupled with the growing desires and demands to win and all the pressures that ensue, again make people do erratic and stupid things on the field.

I believe the core reasoning for the 3 then 4 umpires being introduced primarily was that fatigue of umpiring such a fast and demanding game was seeing decisions made in latter parts of the game potentially be impacted (are umpires able to be at the right spot constantly after sprinting hard to be here and there for 3 quarters). Spreading the load amongst 4 is logical, main thing is aligning consistent interpretations amongst the 4 in a sport with a fair few grey areas is the biggest challenge.

Not everyone can be programmed like Weiterbot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back